Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

A classic case where Boomers* and Golden Generation* don't understand what it's like to work in the modern day where comms is all digital. Your company is able to contact you 24x7 easily. In the "good old days" you could call someone's home landline and hope to reach them if you needed something done out of hours. Now between mobiles, chat etc, you know you can reach them 24x7. The pressure on an employee to do what's being asked by the boss has always been there, but now that can happen 24x7.

I make a point of not sending emails outside of business hours by using the delayed send feature in Outlook. But at the same time if we do have something unplanned that we need to get done afterhours, I can reach my whole team, and they can reach down to their teams, instantly.

As for the article. Who gives a *smile* what an American TV show personality thinks. Most likely hasn't read the law and just been given a soundbite that was delivered to get a negative reaction. Add in the fact it's the Daily Mail and the post should have been made in the Jokes thread.

*Yes, some generalizing there but the 24x7 contactable work expectation is a more recent thing that impacts the younger working generations more than others.
Here ya again gobbing off again at the older gens that they do not understand modern day living. Gee you are an angel pure as new snow not sending emails out of work hours. Now the Legislation states Refusable to be Unreasonable circumstances. Now how is that going to determined & who is going adjudicate on it. You should not make Laws unless you can control it. Pie in the sky crap.

Sounds like the echo chamber the Lefties have created here.

It's America. They have had the same attitude since 1776 when they fought the British. Then 90 years later had a civil war to settle their differences. In fact you could even go back to the 1600s and the pilgrims.

What do you want them to do lie down and let the Leftist/Globalists take over? No, they will fight for their religious liberties and freedoms.
Trump is an isolationist, he doesn't care about Australia or the rest of the world. If Australia was in need, Trump might let Australia swing.
Do you live in the USA?

Trump is an isolationist, he doesn't care about Australia or the rest of the world. If Australia was in need, Trump might let Australia swing.
Do you live in the USA?
I highly doubt that would happen. Congress and The Senate have a huge say in what America does and who it supports.

Sounds like the echo chamber the Lefties have created here.

It's America. They have had the same attitude since 1776 when they fought the British. Then 90 years later had a civil war to settle their differences. In fact you could even go back to the 1600s and the pilgrims.

What do you want them to do lie down and let the Leftist/Globalists take over? No, they will fight for their religious liberties and freedoms.
Rabbit Hole GIF by Tubi

Here ya again gobbing off again at the older gens that they do not understand modern day living. Gee you are an angel pure as new snow not sending emails out of work hours. Now the Legislation states Refusable to be Unreasonable circumstances. Now how is that going to determined & who is going adjudicate on it. You should not make Laws unless you can control it. Pie in the sky crap.

You don't understand it, that is clear. But no one would expect you to as I suspect that the majority, if not all, of your working life, you weren't carrying a mobile phone 24x7. I am at times angelic, but I wouldn't call myself an Angel but thank you for the compliment.

As for the legislation, it adds "Unreasonable" so that there is flexibility if someone is called upon during for an emergency situation. It's a caveat that businesses asked for. It would be impossible to define what "Unreasonable" is, it comes done to the job role and company, I guess.

Adjudication is encouraged to occur between employer and employee, but that can be escalated to the FWC by either party if desired.

The above, and a lot more details, can be found in plenty of news stories across the internet, but it seems the Daily Mail just focused on ensuring outrage amongst its readers.

Countries that have a Right to Disconnect type law: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Ukraine, Slovenia and Slovak Republic. Plenty of others are discussing or in the midst of proposing one.

Reactions: 1 user
Countries that have a Right to Disconnect type law: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Ukraine, Slovenia and Slovak Republic. Plenty of others are discussing or in the midst of proposing one.
Geez. Few of them countries travelling seriously well in the international economy, must be all that mandated do not disturb time they get. Heh heh heh.

Well its what certain people appear to want. We can't have evidence based progressive ideas spreading can we.
The problem is everyone seems to argue "evidence". (not necessarily always progressive). Echo chambers everywhere as Baloo pointed out previously, everyone can find the evidence that supports their ideas if they look hard enough. IMO religious belief is the main driver of all division. It once dictated every decision of most of the planet. As science has progressed, decisions are less and less influenced by religion. But many religious followers hang onto their beliefs (despite evidence) and see progress as a threat to everything. Why they are so scared is beyond me. Most of the changes I see are about trying to make society more inclusive and fair for all.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't understand it, that is clear. But no one would expect you to as I suspect that the majority, if not all, of your working life, you weren't carrying a mobile phone 24x7. I am at times angelic, but I wouldn't call myself an Angel but thank you for the compliment.

As for the legislation, it adds "Unreasonable" so that there is flexibility if someone is called upon during for an emergency situation. It's a caveat that businesses asked for. It would be impossible to define what "Unreasonable" is, it comes done to the job role and company, I guess.

Adjudication is encouraged to occur between employer and employee, but that can be escalated to the FWC by either party if desired.

The above, and a lot more details, can be found in plenty of news stories across the internet, but it seems the Daily Mail just focused on ensuring outrage amongst its readers.

So what you can have is the employer & employee at odds with one another then if they do not come to an agreement it goes to a hearing at the Fair Work Commission. When that is resolved employer & employee will embrace one another like long lost brothers retire to the nearest water hole. What brought this about ?. Were there complaints brought before he FWC to trigger this legislation ?.

The problem is everyone seems to argue "evidence". (not necessarily always progressive). Echo chambers everywhere as Baloo pointed out previously, everyone can find the evidence that supports their ideas if they look hard enough. IMO religious belief is the main driver of all division. It once dictated every decision of most of the planet. As science has progressed, decisions are less and less influenced by religion. But many religious followers hang onto their beliefs (despite evidence) and see progress as a threat to everything. Why they are so scared is beyond me. Most of the changes I see are about trying to make society more inclusive and fair for all.
Oh he that lives in fear and dobs people in!! You hypocrite!! :p

Oh hello there pot.
Really? I have only ever reported one post in my entire life on this site. it was a post about Trump having incestuous relation with his daughter.
I am about to leave this site because you allow a free reign to one side of the political debate and shut down free speech when the views don't align with yours.
I have never asked to have anyone to have their right to have their own beliefs and thoughts restricted in anyway unless it is based on moral grounds.

How dare you even inference that I have complained about someone having a right to a different view than mine!!

I would defend to the death the right of Left wing people to express their view even though I totally disagree with their Marxist ideals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user