St Kilda game day thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

St Kilda game day thread

GEDS1 said:
Poor old Astbury had the yips real bad. Good lad though like the potential. reckon with Griff in tonight, Foley and Moore we may have seen a closer result.
Yeh. Let himself down badly on a number of occasions. Bring back the PoMo and Griffiths when fit.

Before the game you would guess the three blokes to kill us would be Milne, Goddard and Montagna. Why do we not clamp these guys ? Maybe Jackson would have got Montagna but for god's sake it has been Milne every time for the past 6-7 years this needs addressing.

Sir said:
Tambling was not the worst,

Not the best - but not the worst,

Naha's, Nason, Morton and especially Edwards - did not contribute,

Throw in the fast it was Simmo's last game - and there will be at leats 3-4 changes next week with Jackson, Foley, Griffiths in the mix.

Agree with the Tambling comment, tried hard to win the ball but struggled to do anything useful with it.

Looked as though the Saints were instructed to remove Nason from the game whenever he was in the vicinity of the ball, physically if possible. Can't fault his commitment just wasn't allowed to touch the ball.

Bring on the changes, dissapointed in the result but proud of the commitment. Thanks Simmo.

GEDS1 said:
Before the game you would guess the three blokes to kill us would be Milne, Goddard and Montagna. Why do we not clamp these guys ? Maybe Jackson would have got Montagna but for god's sake it has been Milne every time for the past 6-7 years this needs addressing.
White was given the task of being a defensive forward on Goddard. A very hard job but nevertheless I think he let us down badly. It was one of the few times I really wished Jacko was playing. Would've been the perfect match. It was the difference between the two teams in the end (apart from Milne).

Pretty heartening game all things considered.

well well well defo missed jackson foley and moore tonight morton in for griffiths was a joke and it showed i dont care if polak gets one pos a game we need him in fowardline or defence for he's height and body alone
we need to stop this letting teams get away to a good start
great signs though just that last bit in passages of play that let us down
i think nason needs a rest nahas morton defo question marks on them now
edwards and farmer hopefully just a one bad game bling he tried hard lids is a waste in the backline cotch was held martin came back after getting injured
newman again another captains game tuck at lest he gets the ball and he's not the only who turns it over
king was alright tonight simmo well good luck with whatever ya going to do now angus will be better for the hitout

and the jack well he's a superstar

Ark,

How do you see that changing?

I was slammed a few weeks ago for suggesting that Nason wouldn't make it,

I accepted he kicked 3 goals last week in uniques circumstances ........

BUT - I did not see a single play tonight that justified Nason's place in the squad.

I accept he is young - but he just doesn't have the requisite physicality - and won't get it.

He'll pop up every now and then - but most of the game he'll run around in circles chasing the ball - and landing ineffectual tackles.

How many times was he brushed aside tonight?

I liked the signs. With a bit of luck, a few umpiring decisions going the other way and some of the more glaring skill errors removed, we would have gone very close. I know, a lot of "what ifs", but we're a young team that's building.

Another menacing tall forward would also make a big difference (come on Griff). I hope our new game plan isn't always going to consist solely of "bomb it long to Jack". A few more uncontested marks on the lead would be nice to see.

evo said:
White was given the task of being a defensive forward on Goddard. A very hard job but nevertheless I think he let us down badly. It was one of the few times I really wished Jacko was playing. Would've been the perfect match. It was the difference between the two teams in the end (apart from Milne).

White has pace and little else. Would hope he is superceded by others by the end of the season.

evo said:

agree. goddard was the difference.

Seriously where is Tambling at? Take away the cheap kicks in the last quarter and a half where he seemed to be playing a loose man in the backline, and there was nothing. His awarenes is shocking. Was caught almost everytime he touched the ball. His disposal was terrible. Great 7 tackles but I tell you what, he was second to the ball so often, you damn well wanna hope he made some tackles. He needs to get back to the 2s, get some confidence, some desire, whatever else it is that is going to get him ticking because I watched tonight, and there is some real desire in the Tigers team, real bodies being put on the line, and some light for the future, but Tambling's half-hearted efforts are really letting the whole side down.

Was he the worst tonight? Probably not. Problem is he's in the bottom few for performance every single week.

On TV the crowd sounded really loud when Jack got near the ball during his run on in the 3rd. It was stirring stuff and brought back 'cho memories

GoodOne said:
Seriously where is Tambling at? Take away the cheap kicks in the last quarter and a half where he seemed to be playing a loose man in the backline, and there was nothing. His awarenes is shocking. Was caught almost everytime he touched the ball. His disposal was terrible. Great 7 tackles but I tell you what, he was second to the ball so often, you damn well wanna hope he made some tackles. He needs to get back to the 2s, get some confidence, some desire, whatever else it is that is going to get him ticking because I watched tonight, and there is some real desire in the Tigers team, real bodies being put on the line, and some light for the future, but Tambling's half-hearted efforts are really letting the whole side down.

Was he the worst tonight? Probably not. Problem is he's in the bottom few for performance every single week.
Agreed. With Nason, Morton, Nahas tonight we had more passengers than the Indian Pacific.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
On TV the crowd sounded really loud when Jack got near the ball during his run on in the 3rd. It was stirring stuff and brought back 'cho memories
Gotta love Rooey. Always seems a big chance if you can get him one on one.

Too bad Yeah- Nahas didn't milk his spills. On another night with a little more luck we could've really pushed the Aints

As expected Milne was way too good for our small backs. Murdered them.

Difference tonight was body size and disposal skills.
We miss more targets than we hit and the Aints are the opposite.

Gotta find better players by foot and must learn to block/shepherd and stop these errors under pressure.

Tigers of Old said:
Gotta find better players by foot and must learn to block/shepherd and stop these errors under pressure.

we got em just need some more game time in em

as some have said before you can see the cream rising were defo getting there all in all good effort considering a 6 day break from last weeks swamp game but u could see it took the toll on some this week

Tigers of Old said:

Been these problems forever unfortuantely.

evo said:
Gotta love Rooey. Always seems a big chance if you can get him one on one.

It felt a bit like the club was finding it's pride and identity again after having lost it when Carlton flogged us and Richo's hammy separated from his bone, tonight remined me a bit of 93

Tigers of Old said:

I'm not sure it's the just the average skill level, it's the had work and gameplan the Saints have that allows them to get Goddard free for 38 touches when Lids gets 20.

We did get to within 12 points in the 3rd quarter. I thought overall we played very well but it all fell apart in the last quarter where disposal and intensity really fell away. Not sure playing in the wet only 6 days earlier would have helped us. Overall saw some very positive signs tonight.

Tigers of Old said:
As expected Milne was way too good for our small backs. Murdered them.

Disagree on the main difference tonight. We are great in clearances, contested ball and pressure this year, The biggest factor for us by far is run and spread when we get the footy. We get smashed in uncontested possession every week. At this stage of the rebuild we simply can't run hard enough to compete with more seasoned teams. It is not really something that means end of game fade outs. It is just simple ability to do the repeat sprints required at any stage of the game.

Obviously more size is needed. No doubt skills need heaps of work also. But it is all exacerbated by the fact that we cannot get players free in space when we have the ball. Think of how many times saints had free players in 20 metres of space tonight compared with us.

GoodOne said:
We did get to within 12 points in the 3rd quarter. I thought overall we played very well but it all fell apart in the last quarter where disposal and intensity really fell away. Not sure playing in the wet only 6 days earlier would have helped us. Overall saw some very positive signs tonight.

We were terrific in the third term but Riewoldt kept us in the game.
Unlike recent weeks I didn't think we played 4 quarters. halfway through the 2nd it threatened to get very ugly before we switched on.

Riewoldt was the main positive for mine. Absolute standout.