St Kilda game day thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

St Kilda game day thread

Dustin Martin - I dont think I've seen a stronger 1st year player. Fends of players with ease, has so much poise through traffic and has really quick hands. A dead set gun

Pommell said:
Dustin Martin - I dont think I've seen a stronger 1st year player. Fends of players with ease, has so much poise through traffic and has really quick hands. A dead set gun

He's gonna start a fend off craze. Excitement machine. Sign him up for 10 years. Don't want Demitri-fools first Chinese AFL team to get hold of him.

Positives:
Overall encouraging signs. Found 10 year quality forward in Riewoldt. He's already far better than I thought he'd ever be.

Plenty of others are now standing up. Collins can be a player if he gets fit enough. Martin is already a star and Cotchin is now getting some continuity. Astbury is way underdeveloped but looks a natural forward. However he has to nail simple set shots. Webberley was also very good.

Graham needs to look at the work ethic of Gardiner to see what he should aspire to. Still a chance Graham can make it as a ruckman - has improved a lot.

Negatives:
Still too small. Can't play so many little players. Poor games by Nahas (not up to it imo); Morton (badly out of form); White (just not going to be good enough); Farmer (just an avergae player) and Nason (may need a rest).

Tambling was awful in the first half and only came good when played at half back/wing, which is probably his position.

Turnovers killed us again in the 3rd quarter when we had their measure. Poor left foot kick by Martin cost a goal when we had momentum.

Riewoldt has to have help up forward. It may be that Polak has to be played just to provide a bigger body alternate option until Griffiths, Astbury or Post (I haven't given up on him, although he's only a forward) are really ready.

Umpires were dreadful - still different rules for top teams - some things never change. Schneider free kick was a joke to start with.

Same old, same old - errors coming out of the backline killed us. It's somehow more palatable with young players making the mistakes though; there's always the hope that they'll improve.

good summary Tigers2011, I tend to agree with most of that. just got home after a long day and then a night at the dome

every game I go to, the opposition gets a free kick in the first minute that results in a goal. it's uncanny.

what are we going to do about our half forward line? The ball was rebounded swiftly and repeatedly tonight, setting up frequent inside 50s for the saints.

was Martin injured in the second quarter?

Tigers2011 said:
Tambling was awful in the first half and only came good when played at half back/wing, which is probably his position.
Again on SEN - Germot said 'Tambling has been good since moved back' at which point he asked why Malthouse was giving him a sly grin. Huddo then said 'Mick has called it as his position.'

Why do the majority of externals/supporters think he plays his better footy here but Richmond coaching staff don' give him an extended run at it?

Jack was outstanding. Tambling improving. Farmer should be imprisoned for thieving game time from Richmond.

Tigers of Old said:
As expected Milne was way too good for our small backs. Murdered them.

Difference tonight was body size and disposal skills.
We miss more targets than we hit and the Aints are the opposite.

Gotta find better players by foot and must learn to block/shepherd and stop these errors under pressure.

Pretty much well summed up ToO. That was very evident from the first bounce from where we sat in the stands tonight. Their medium/talls were just too much tonight and you add in that little germ milne, they were just too good on the night.

We are certainly getting better, much better than a month ago. But the good players are standing out now, while the passengers are getting left behind. Too many bystanders tonight, just not working hard enough to get into the game. Sad to see Mitch Morton go backwards. And unfortunate (concerning?) that so many clangers coming from Dusty (8 ) and Cotch (5).

Overall however, I am convinced that Hardwick is doing a good job at developing our kids. I hope in the next month or two we will start to see more structure in our play that allows us more easy positions like the Saints were able to generate tonight.

And wow, Goddard is a bloody good player. Killed us.

I thought it was a great effort by the boys to get back into the game in the 3rd quarter - I was worried early in that quarter when the saints got the first from the Nahas turnover that it could get ugly.

Terrible luck that Martin copped that corky - it affected his kicking for the remainder of the game.

With Moore out and Astbury down back he was getting shown up until they made the switch and put him forward where I thought he presented well and took some nice marks. Pity he missed those 2 gettable goals - especially the shot early in the last, that really could have got some momentum our way. I didn't think Tambling was awful when he was in the backline, he looks better there.

After 3 standout weeks it was no surprise that Cotch was given a heavy tag and it told with his ability to get the ball in the centre and clear it forward.

There were some passages of play down the wings where we moved the ball really well, linked up well with running players, but it only happened in spurts and I can't wait till it becomes more consistant.

It would have been nice to have someone like Taylor out there tonight just to have another option in the forward line. Was disappointed with Morton tonight - can't remember him taking a mark anywhere near the goals all night and from the radio coverage he copped a couple of sprays from Dimma when he came off late in the game. I think he will be lining up for Coburg again next week - it was mentioned after the game that Griffiths and Foley are likely to come in next week.

Nahas and Nason had poor games, but the saints backline is pretty miserly and have been a solid unit for a while and not a surprise that a couple of small bodied players can be shut out easily.

Jack was sensational (although his kicking still needs some work), it was a wonderful atmosphere during that 3rd quarter when the players were backing Jack to contest the one-on-one marks with Fischer.

Disappointing with the turnovers, but the effort was great against a pretty solid team, that would have been under a lot more pressure had a few dodgy umpiring decisions not go our way and some cleaner ball use.

Put Foley, Moore, Jackson, Connors, Griffiths or Post into that side tonight and I'm sure things would have been a lot closer.

Will be an interesting week regarding the ability to permanently elevate a rookie for the remainder of the year now that we have gone past the halfway mark. Wonder if they will elevate Gourdis.

Tigerflag2008 said:
We are certainly getting better, much better than a month ago. But the good players are standing out now, while the passengers are getting left behind. Too many bystanders tonight, just not working hard enough to get into the game. Sad to see Mitch Morton go backwards. And unfortunate (concerning?) that so many clangers coming from Dusty (8 ) and Cotch (5).

Overall however, I am convinced that Hardwick is doing a good job at developing our kids. I hope in the next month or two we will start to see more structure in our play that allows us more easy positions like the Saints were able to generate tonight.

And wow, Goddard is a bloody good player. Killed us.

What came to mind after the game tonight was that the improvement from the start of the year is extraordinary.

Without about a third of our best side on the paddock it was always going to be a struggle. Foley, Jackson, Connors, Moore, Griffiths and Taylor unavailable. Browne or Vickery kept out for a farewell game.

Edit: just read puregreen's post that went up when I was posting. Agree with all of it and specially the bit about Gourdis

Tigerflag2008 said:

They're the clearances stats, not clangers, so they are meant to be great figures for a couple of kids
They both had 3 clangers each, which for inside mids isn't too bad, for example Cotchin's opponent Jones had 3 also and Hayes had 5

RedanTiger said:
Without about a third of our best side on the paddock it was always going to be a struggle. Foley, Jackson, Connors, Moore, Griffiths and Taylor unavailable. Browne or Vickery kept out for a farewell game.
How can Griffiths and Taylor possibly be considered in our best side? They have played about 8 quarters combined.

Elmer said:
How can Griffiths and Taylor possibly be considered in our best side? They have played about 8 quarters combined.

Amazingly Hardwick said in the presser that we missed Griffiths tonight and as such, too much fell on Reiwoldt. Hearing that made me wonder why they didn't bring in Polak instead of Morton to at least have a better structure up forward.

Elmer said:

Griffiths was a late withdrawal for Morton in the team. Suggests the RFC considers Griffiths better than Morton at least at this stage.
Taylor better than Nahas, Nason or Morton at this stage? Who knows - he's been injured.
Browne, Vickery or Polak as the second ruck? None played tonite, but one probably has to come in.

Tigers of Old said:
Tambling should be our small back pocket.
yep, akka and wangers were put there in there early twenties
ive always had secret hopes richie can be just as good when
he gets more strength and a better understanding of the game

Sir said:
Ark,

How do you see that changing?
I was slammed a few weeks ago for suggesting that Nason wouldn't make it,
I accepted he kicked 3 goals last week in uniques circumstances ........
BUT - I did not see a single play tonight that justified Nason's place in the squad.
I accept he is young - but he just doesn't have the requisite physicality - and won't get it.
He'll pop up every now and then - but most of the game he'll run around in circles chasing the ball - and landing ineffectual tackles.
How many times was he brushed aside tonight?

I do agree he was certainly a weak link in the team for this match. It didn't take the big bodies too much effort to take him out of the play. I can only hope that he continues to work on his game and size because i have liked his commitment so far this year.