Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Miles away.
He is that bad, people now congratulating him for taking a chest mark.
Not 1 contested mark again today.
Agree Zippy, can't believe people rated him today. I must not of been watch the same game. I thought he was terrible. Rag dolled by everyone. Gave us absolutely NOTHING.

Reactions: 1 users
Miles away.
He is that bad, people now congratulating him for taking a chest mark.
Not 1 contested mark again today.
Yes, but he did take an overhead mark, albeit uncontested, at the end of the third quarter….nearly choked on my beer, couldn’t believe what I’d just seen!

• Haha
It cannot be his bulk that is the problem with his game. He has so much to learn like technique and marking just to name a couple. Just being tall doesn't mean you can ruck and right now Ryan is proving that but with Naks out, the cupboard was bare and in hindsight , we should have just used undersized guys who will compete

Where is his development after a few years in our system. Yeah I understand he is not offering much but our development coaches have to take some of the heat surely. I thick Evan needs to be moved on been a good club man but we need a new operator

A very disappointing first half, was better in the 2nd half. Needs to play the rest of the the season.

Agree Zippy, can't believe people rated him today. I must not of been watch the same game. I thought he was terrible. Rag dolled by everyone. Gave us absolutely NOTHING.
That’s just wrong.

He was playing against Cameron who is not a star but is a premiership ruckman. Held his own in the ruck contests, competed really well down the line and was involved around the ground quite a bit. I posted earlier that if he had held a few marks he got his hands to his game would have been good.

Serviceable, shaded by Cameron but to say he gave nothing isn’t correct.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s just wrong.

He was playing against Cameron who is not a star but is a premiership ruckman. Held his own in the ruck contests, competed really well down the line and was involved around the ground quite a bit. I posted earlier that if he had held a few marks he got his hands to his game would have been good.

Collingwood marked the ball at will down the line. I guess it helps that it seems to be the major plank of our game plan (along with the dinky kick to the back pocket from a kick in) so the opposition know what we are going to do everytime.

Got ragdolled by Cox and Cameron.

Angus Graham would get canned for todays effort.

Not as good as Griffiths who wasn’t up to it.

Three years away from being three years away.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Horrible and we have three more years of him to go thru.

My gripe is he just does not look like an AFL player. Is there any one else playing as unco as him. I have to ask has he put on any size in the four years we have had him.

As the clubs biggest whipping boy , I thought the kid improved today , got his hands on the ball more and seemed to work harder , wouldn’t be extending the contract just yet , however I grade him as improved today
Improved from very average to average.

Gets his hands to the ball and paddles it down.
If they are training him to do that at training I’ll give the game away. It’s almost unwatchable

That’s just wrong.

Shaded? Cameron had 33 hitouts from 58 ruck contests.
Samson 13 from 60.
Stats arent everything but I thought mostly Samson really struggled strength wise in the ruck. Apart from a few tackles his follow up work is pretty non existent at ground level. He doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough yet.

Agree with others. The bar is set extremely low.

We missed Nank enormously.

Reactions: 6 users
Made out of paper. No core strength. If Samson was steak it would be all sinew.
Soldo backup type but Soldo was better. Pretty much useless with our current game style kicking down the line while his hands resemble cymbals.

Maybe just youth and inexperience but sadly nothing so far to even indicate he will make best 22 in the future.

Shaded? Cameron had 33 hitouts from 58 ruck contests.
Samson 13 from 60.
Stats arent everything but I thought mostly Samson really struggled strength wise in the ruck. Apart from a few tackles his follow up work is pretty non existent at ground level. He doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough yet.

Agree with others. The bar is set extremely low.

We missed Nank enormously.

Million percent agree we missed the big Nank. He will walk the B&F in and is now arguably our most important player.

But there is more to rucking than winning a hitout, As posted earlier:

Samson:
14 disposals 10 efficient 6 marks 4 tackles (most) 13 hitouts 5 clearances (most) 6 contested 5 score involvements 0 turnovers

Cameron:
18 disposals 11 efficient 5 marks 2 tackles 33 hitouts 2 clearances 2 score involvements 2 turnovers

Thought he got rid of his bad habit of one handed marking attempts and more than held his own.

Lots still to develop and he will rightly get time to do so. A step forward after a middlng year.

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone come up with an example where a player who could not naturally mark and was taught how to and improved?

I thought he was ok today and was at the ground.

Overall I reckon he is a 2/10 for marking. Can he be taught to get to a 6/10.

I am struggling to think of a tall that was hopeless at marking and was taught and became a servicable mark.

If he cant get to a 6/10 for marking he doesnt make it in my opinion as a Number 1 ruck if thats what we want him to be.

Nank in the side today and I reckon we run them close. Real close
Benny Gale couldn’t mark in his first 3 years but got a lot lot better