Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

When we first promoted Ryan there was a clear weakness in his game. Glaring. Could not take position, hold position. He can do that now.

Samson was beaten by Cameron. Cameron is sound and fresh and a very fine ruck. But our man was not disgraced. I had to check the HO numbers because I was amazed that Samson didn't have more at HT.

Cameron did set up maybe three set plays on our man but they came to nothing. But overall Samson negated the other ruck's control of grass. Cameron 2 SI, Samson 5.

Samson is a constructive ruck. And in his second senior game as #1 ruck acquitted himself well. Perhaps he will play ruck again one day.

Reactions: 8 users
Next thing for Samson to push further is ground presence. First, GBG. He's bloody hopeless at the caper naturally but improved a lot last weekend. He had 3 to Cameron's 2.

Ryan's numbers were well up. He hit categories. That's engagement. 6K, 8HB, 6M, 4T, 13HO, 5Cl, 3Sp. The HO numbers flattered Cameron IMO. Many of them were through throw ins that fell short. Cameron outsprinted our man for a meaningless slap to nobody.

NB Cameron's high stats yielded *smile* nuthen.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
geez he gets held down a lot in marking contests with no joy from umps.

1/2 the reason he appears to go up 1 handed is beacause the other is being held
To be fair, it’s not hard to keep his arm down.
Tweety Bird would beat him in an arm wrestle.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What a joke we have Dow , Mansell and Ryan on our list . Next disaster would be extending Graham’s contract.

I'm going to back him in.
Pisspoor of late but I reckon he makes it.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to have Nank back.
Only if you want to win.
I’m not giving away Richmond Men like Rioli and Bolton only to weaken our hand at the draft with meaningless wins at the pointy end of a calamitous season. Save those idiocies to Nth who rejoice in those season defining wins

Firstly I’m as thrilled as most with Ryan’s 3 year extension, however I’m not sure dropping him for yesterday’s game was the right choice for his development. Firstly imho he’s game against the Pies was his best AFL game ( yes very very low floor) , secondly playing under the roof against the worst performed team in the past 5 years to me presented a great opportunity for him to get plenty of chances to fly for the footy deep in our forward line . We’ve signed him in faith over 3 seasons , yesterday was the perfect opportunity for him to show something and play alongside Kozi while pinch hitting in the Ruck , instead he dosent play any footy , I would think to make such an investment ,games like yesterday are a must to play after the season he and we have had .

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Most definately right at this point of time he is in the dud delist zone.
Instead we get future star three more years. What are they thinking.

We seem to be getting so many things wrong is it time to have another review of everything with fresh eyes that are not clouded by past success.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly I’m as thrilled as most with Ryan’s 3 year extension, however I’m not sure dropping him for yesterday’s game was the right choice for his development. Firstly imho he’s game against the Pies was his best AFL game ( yes very very low floor) , secondly playing under the roof against the worst performed team in the past 5 years to me presented a great opportunity for him to get plenty of chances to fly for the footy deep in our forward line . We’ve signed him in faith over 3 seasons , yesterday was the perfect opportunity for him to show something and play alongside Kozi while pinch hitting in the Ruck , instead he dosent play any footy , I would think to make such an investment ,games like yesterday are a must to play after the season he and we have had .
yeah, i guess the thought if he and Dusty together in the f50 didnt thrill the MC.
I think the PIes game showed he is a ruck, but at this stage he isnt contributing as a "2nd ruck".

yeah, i guess the thought if he and Dusty together in the f50 didnt thrill the MC.
I think the PIes game showed he is a ruck, but at this stage he isnt contributing as a "2nd ruck".
Possibly, I don’t think we should be putting anytime into what position best suits Dusty anymore , Ryan most likely has more years left at Punt rd does then Dusty has games

Reactions: 2 users
Agree, we were clearly one tall short yesterday and investing games into Ryan, particularly in a dead season, is reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users