Sad to say - But Cousins has nothing left to give "on field" | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sad to say - But Cousins has nothing left to give "on field"

ZeroGame said:
I said best player aquisition in the last 30 years, not best player

He was certainly one of the Weagles greatest players. Now a shadow of his former greatness.
Joel Bowden was giving us more last year than Cousins is currently.

brigadiertiger said:
If Cousins work ethic on the training track rubs off on any of our kids it is not something that will show tangible results immediately. As time goes by we will know for sure.

Entirely unquantifiable.
Right now Cousins is battling to hold his place in the team. I doubt many are watching with admiration.

GoodOne said:
I still don't understand. How is Cousins the best player acquisition in 30 years? What do you mean? Best recruit as in worth to the club under the circumstances?
Fine, best recycled player

Great to see that Mike Shehen has been reading this thread ::) ::) ::) and chosen to write an article in the Sun Tuesday that Ben is at the crossroads.
*smile* off Mike you parasite all you want is for Ben to fail as it gives you pleasure. You will then go back to sticking the boot into our footy club.

I was wrapped when we recruited him, but that was also when I thought we were a shot at playing finals. Not sure he's the short term answer now.

How can having one of the best payers ever be a bad thing. We have so many young players that can learn from him. I hope he come good so we get another year out of him.

ParisAmos said:
How can having one of the best payers ever be a bad thing. We have so many young players that can learn from him. I hope he come good so we get another year out of him.

I agree PA, but I cannot see us getting another year out of him.

Give Cousins time!

Afterall its not as if we are fighting for the last 2010 finals spot in the eight!

Watch him onfield where he is constantly chatting to our young players and giving them "on-the-job" training - positioning them - the man is an asset on the ground right now - when his body comes good in a months time he will show some sparkle of past glory.

Leave him be for now - we are in no hurry as 2010 is purely a learning year for our cubs............

Farewell game in 2 weeks against his old side will be a standing ovation as the curtain draws the end of his career.

Then we elevate Gourdis and see whether he's good enough, if not, that'll be two birds with one stone and we move on without wasting valuable time.

I too agree that Cousins time is finished. I have no issue with him playing out the year however as long as he's contributing (we will see if he improves after he gets some continuity into his footy over the coming weeks).

I also must laugh at Noddy Sheehan. Must be one of the worst journalists going around I swear. He always sits on the fence and always writes about only what is obvious to the rest of the world. For example x team wins impressivly on the weekend, Sheehan writes about that x team and how they're going to make the finals. That x team loes the next week, now that x team is suddenly in crisis.

Now I see him writing another Ben Cousins should retire or Cousins at the crossroads article after he had a bad game on the weekend. While he may have a point it's just him writing the obvious to the rest of the world. Must be his 20000000th article on Cousins and the same exact point over the last couple months. Maybe he has an agenda, I don't know. Seems obsessed though. Perhaps a tactic from him to keep pushing the point and put pressure on until Cousins retires so he gets the pleasure to say I told you say to everyone? Typical Noddy. I'm sure if by some chance Cousins is BOG this week he will come out with a Cousins could go on next year article. He goes with popular trends for the week, just a terrible, terrible journalist.

Or he has run out of other interesting things to say about Richmond. Wouldn't be hard, difficult to elaborate on terminally crap.

Ben Cousins is the only marketable person at the club that gets the sponsors on the front and back page of the paper. I would keep Cousins this year and next to absorb the media attention while the young players develop. Who cares wether he is at his best or not as long as he remains healthy he is worth keeping on the basis of the publicity alone.

You dont think Cousins had anything to do with our two highest membership years in the last 20 years? this will be a long long road back to success and when we win our next flag Cousins will be a forgotten man at the Tigers - but he may have helped in some small way.

I have full confidence that Hardwick & co will make the right call on Cousins.

how things change, a year ago all you armchair critic's were claiming Ben, great midfield leader, maybe midfield coach when he retires, now the bloke is struggling and your all out to get him, give him a break he is 32 not 22, let him have a few games at least to get up and running

Great game by Cuz today with 20 disposals effective rate of 85% , 8 tackles & 5 Inside 50. :clap :clap
He may just have another year in him

His leadership today was there for all to see. Was really firing up the boys as they were walking off at half time.

Smoking Aces said:
His leadership today was there for all to see. Was really firing up the boys as they were walking off at half time.
Cuz "washed up", somehow I think the old dog still has a few tricks up his sleeve. Hope to have him
around in 2011 and at RFC in a coaching or development role after that.

I'm amazed at the lack of Pre-enders "eating their words"

OK - it was only one game,

BUT - it was good.

......... and he's getting better!!! :clap