Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH

Tigers2011 said:
Vickery has been a great disappointment. Time for a spell at Coburg. I know big men take longer to develop, but I'm not seeing much at the current time.

Very dissapointing , is it true that he wouldnt have been traded at such a low pick if his dad wasnt working at richmond , he looks more like a second or third round pick to me , and looks like he is only getting games on the back of his dad , he also looks like he gets scared of getting hit when he attacks the ball , lve seen him close his eyes with fear a few times , i hope its just because he is young and its not in his makeup.

Also how the hell does Farmer keep getting games and also Jake King , Collins and Morton should still be playing ahead of those two by miles.

Why not just play all the bloddy kids for the rest of the year , yes we will get flogged every game but hopefully by round 22 they will know each other so well that we can be competetive next season.

King , Farmer , Polo Hislop , Mc Mahon , Thomson , Simmonds...............Theses seven players need to be gone 100% next year , no ifs or butts . Bring in 7 kids from the draft instead and gring them up with the others.................Also a question mark over Cousins , Tambling , Polak

luckysonny2015 said:
Very dissapointing , is it true that he wouldnt have been traded at such a low pick if his dad wasnt working at richmond , he looks more like a second or third round pick to me , and looks like he is only getting games on the back of his dad , he also looks like he gets scared of getting hit when he attacks the ball , lve seen him close his eyes with fear a few times , i hope its just because he is young and its not in his makeup.
The fact his dad is a part time boxing trainer at Richmond means nothing. Vickery was a real chance to go at Pick 4 to Port Adelaide as they needed a replacement for Lade. Would never have gone 1 or 2 picks past us if we didn't take him. Was by far the best option to us in that draft and at this stage he is well ahead of schedule. Other than Naitanui, he was by far the best ruckman in his draft and easily deserved his selection.

How about you compare him to Leuenberger who was taken in the same draft as Riewoldt but at Pick 4 and hasn't done much at all yet. This year is his first proper season.

Also in his defence, if I had a 105-110kg gorilla ruckman barreling down on me if I'm a stick thin 19 year old at 90kg, I'd be pretty nervous too. He's doing well, just let him develop properly. Heck even Graham is playing ok after holding on to him for 5 years. Ruckmen just take longer.

we will have to let the dumb footballers go. no matter how tough or skillful they are, constantly making dumb decisions means they are not smart.
Really liked jack - he oozes class. Cousins seems distracted. Ump's were performing like they need to come out. Angus needs to take charge - the confidence will come.

Thought gus went ok second game in season and did alot more round ground then snake

also danny daly what a bore herd him on radio and zzz what caught my interest was he said the coaches still dont understand dimmas game plan

Really thought it was our worst performance of the year considering the opposition, looked as if the entire team had the flu.

Actually thought Knights outcoached Hardwick for a lot of the evening, didnt mind the "flood" early with the Dons been known fast starters, however coming out of it we just seemed so lost, anyway all coaches have a bad one. Farmer hate to put a line through so quick however he dosent look anywhere near it IMHO, Nahas needs a lot more score board impact. Somebody big and strong has to get a game to help Jack, thought Webberly and White busted the guts running hard, big gus showed a bit :eek: , overall incredibly dissapointing

Anyone else notice Edwards' tagging job on Stanton? Correct me if I'm wrong but Stanton barely had a touch in the first half and had minimal impact. Surely this needs to be recognised as a positive.

At the end of the third quarter one ump had a free count of 11-1 in favour of the Bombers including some that were very questionble. :mad:

we lost to this mob by 70 odd points in the pre season, we've improved by about 6 goals. Thats acceptable i think.

Those 2 marks paid to Gumbleton and Stanton were red hot as well, they both had as long as Mitchell the week before - that was called play on after the spoil!!

I think the result highlights the improvement we have made from the start of the season, but also highlights just how bad Hawthorn are going at the moment - the Bombers were always travelling better than the Hawks. Disappointing to give a 7 goal headstart then lose by 6.

Also, remember in the third quarter when Stanton got a kick - thought I hadn't heard his name called much (he'd only gotten his 5th disposal up to that stage, so a very good effort by Edwards).

frangalis4eva said:
we lost to this mob by 70 odd points in the pre season, we've improved by about 6 goals. Thats acceptable i think.

12 months ago there were many of here who though we had a better list than the dons :-[

You couldn't fault our endeavour from the 25 minute mark of the first quater on but our thinking, or more importantly, lack of it cost us the game! We are going to make mistakes by taking the game on but the players just need to improve the basics. If you can't work out that it's bad to punch or spoil the ball towards the goal square when your in defence, there is something wrong with your thinking. :help

luckysonny2015 said:
.........................HEART..........................Have you seen all his games............................HEART...........................

Plleeeaassseee, :eek:

C'mon! ::)

Surely we're not a charity.

I wish Nason the very best, and acknowledge that he has ticker - "heart" as you put it.

Big DEAL!

This isn't the movie: "Rudy" (story about a little gridiron runt who wanted to play for Notre Dame.)

"Heart" in a 5 foot 4 skinny 72kg fella - with little potential to put on more than 5kg is not enough.

Week in week out he will get bumped off the ball, out reached, out kicked - and out played.

Heart will get him only so far (sadly)

If he was playing basketball would you say: "yeh - but he has heart"?

Please name a role model of similar build you see him emulating - physically - heart or not.

Sir said:

I wish Nason the very best, and acknowledge that he has ticker - "heart" as you put it.

Big DEAL!

This isn't the movie: "Rudy" (story about a little gridiron runt who wanted to play for Notre Dame.)

"Heart" in a 5 foot 4 skinny 72kg fella - with little potential to put on more than 5kg is not enough.

Week in week out he will get bumped off the ball, out reached, out kicked - and out played.

Please name a role model of similar build you see him emulating - physically - heart or not.
He has pace and is a good kcik on both sides of his body and he goes in hard. Runs the lines very well and has a good tank. Positions himself well for crumbs and has agood goal sense.Been very good for a 1st year player all year. Quiet one last night. Very small but if he can put on weight he is definitely a player in the Darren Bewick style. He looks like a 12 yo so I am hopeful that he can mature and put on weight rather than being a Fiora who never could.

My take.

Boring game at the G. Came home feeling pretty frustrated and down.

But. Having said that. Quite a few positives.

Jack, Dustin, and Cotchin. Great job. Particularly Jack. Been copping a bit of unfair critisism. 2010 is about introducing young players into the team and development of players. These 3 players are getting better and better and showing they have an important place in the future. Jack is only going to get better with the confidence he is getting now as he starts to believe he can play at this level. His is working harder, playing smarter, using his body well ( took a few one on one marks ) and his kicking his getting more reliable. Good on him. His is still going to be up and down, but in a few years when we develop a forward line and he can play a lesser role instead of being the only go to player, he will be good.

The team as a whole did well. Certianly not our worst loss for the year. 7 goals to nill, and a few other times it looked like we would get blow away, but we managed to hang in and fight it out. Biggest score for the year.

We are improveing. Baby steps. We are certainly becoming more competitive for longer in games.

Now that we are mid season, we all were wanting to see signs of improvement as the year went on. I would say no doubt we are improveing from what we saw early in the year. The second half of the year will be interesting to see how much more we can improve.

Still plenty of kids in the team, all showing promise, which is what we want to see.

Last thing. The umps. Terrible again like last week. Just incosistant. Holding the ball, who knows. Just randon if it will be paid or not. And Ess just got so many frees for seemingly no idea. They must of had about 8 shots at goal from frees, most of which I had no idea what they were for.

One more thing.

Just read a bit of criticism of Nason.

HOW *smile*ING RIDICULOUS :mad:

Fair dinkum. Makes my blood boil when I read this sort of stuff.

He was our last pick in the draft. Has played every game. Plays like he has been with us for 3 or 4 years. Able to keep finding the ball and is smart, composed, and playing consistant. Each week he has been ok/good. Hasn't played a poor game all year and his place in the side is not in doubt at any stage this year.

For a kid is his first year, he is doing well. With time, maturity, experience, and time to get bigger, he could be a very handy player. Could in time be a bargin basement recruit as he was taken so late in the draft. Thumbs up to our recruiters for getting a player like him so late in the draft.

He has done nothing wrong so far. Has got as good as chance as any of our young players as making it. Reminds me of a player like Bateman ( not because of hair ).

People who want too critisize out first years players can support someone else if you can't give them a go.

No more to say on this topic.

Jack said:
Last thing. The umps. Terrible again like last week. Just incosistant. Holding the ball, who knows. Just randon if it will be paid or not. And Ess just got so many frees for seemingly no idea. They must of had about 8 shots at goal from frees, most of which I had no idea what they were for.

When you have a league that has no idea, forming a rules committee that has no idea, who instructs an umpires coordinator who definately has no idea, to tell the umpires (who have no idea) what to do, I am not suprised none of us have any idea.

Sir said:

Big DEAL!

He's the same height as Ben Cousins, but only lacks about 5kg on him
That makes him 5'11", not 5'4"

frangalis4eva said:
Silly point!! We also beat Geelong by about 50 points in the preseason yet got smashed by 100 during the season proper. Lets not pull out stats only when it suits us.

luckysonny2015 said:
Also how the hell does Farmer keep getting games and also Jake King , Collins and Morton should still be playing ahead of those two by miles.

Why not just play all the bloddy kids for the rest of the year , yes we will get flogged every game but hopefully by round 22 they will know each other so well that we can be competetive next season.

All the bloddy kids, except Farmer you mean.