Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH

ZeroGame said:
He's the same height as Ben Cousins, but only lacks about 5kg on him
That makes him 5'11", not 5'4"

One day you will eat your words , Nason is a baby playing his 9th game of AFL against the hardest footballers in the land.For his size he has showed more in 9 games than 70% of our players have in 50 , judge him after 100 games and let his body grow into a man , i love him and he will be another good one for us , if you cant see any future worth in this player then we must be watching different games.....................we already made a huge mistake with Rodan please dont let this be another.............

IrockZ said:
12 months ago there were many of here who though we had a better list than the dons :-[

We probably weren't that far 12 months ago with Richo and Bowden running around as experienced players. Personally Im still not convinced with Essendon. Might not be quite the side they currently are (which is still average) without Hille and Fletcher. Thought the Tigers pretty much kept up with Essendon after quarter time.

frawleyudud said:
Silly point!! We also beat Geelong by about 50 points in the preseason yet got smashed by 100 during the season proper. Lets not pull out stats only when it suits us.

ok then... we were crap at the start of the season, we are probably a little less crap now... but still crap.

luckysonny2015 said:
One day you will eat your words , Nason is a baby playing his 9th game of AFL against the hardest footballers in the land.For his size he has showed more in 9 games than 70% of our players have in 50 , judge him after 100 games and let his body grow into a man , i love him and he will be another good one for us , if you cant see any future worth in this player then we must be watching different games.....................we already made a huge mistake with Rodan please dont let this be another.............
I wasn't critisising him, I was sticking up for him. I don't see how his height is an issue.

this game proves we have no quality talls and no physical presence
mcguane and thursfield are hacks, dumb footballers with no skill
white, farmer, tuck, graeme and nahas are just not up to it and cousins is past it.

out of the side that played essondon only:
riewoldt (tall)
deledio, newman, foley, martin, cotchin, edwards, moore, nason showed they have it
connors, vickery, astbury, rance & post need time
gourdis needs a game to see where he is at.

a combination of astbury, riewoldt, post & griffiths in a few years will give us a solid fwd structure but we need 3 of them to come on, our issue is the defence, moore is a solid 3rd tall but mcguanne and thursty are duds as is graeme

we desperately lack a big bodied ruck, a CHB and a FB....

Tango said:
this game proves we have no quality talls and no physical presence
white, farmer, tuck, graeme and nahas are just not up to it and cousins is past it.

out of the side that played essondon only:
riewoldt (tall)
deledio, newman, foley, martin, cotchin, edwards, moore, nason showed they have it
connors, vickery, astbury, rance & post need time
gourdis needs a game to see where he is at.

a combination of astbury, riewoldt, post & griffiths in a few years will give us a solid fwd structure but we need 3 of them to come on, our issue is the defence, moore is a solid 3rd tall but mcguanne and thursty are duds as is graeme

we desperately lack a big bodied ruck, a CHB and a FB....

yes, once again the key forwards for the opposition kicked bags against us.

Tango said:

Thursfield is more than handy, and is vesatile as a defender. Not suited to the role he is being asked to play week in week out. Reckon there would be a few other teams who'd like him right now.

Brodders17 said:
yes, once again the key forwards for the opposition kicked bags against us.

Obviously satisfied with our KD? No upgrades required? Long term players are they?

If our backline is so good why are we consistently amongst the worst teams for points conceded? It's the midfield? The forwards? Surely the defence has to wear some responsibility.

Big Cat Lover said:
Obviously satisfied with our KD? No upgrades required? Long term players are they?

If our backline is so good why are we consistently amongst the worst teams for points conceded? It's the midfield? The forwards? Surely the defence has to wear some responsibility.

my post was in response to a poster saying mcgaune and thursfield were useless hacks.
if our KPDs are so bad why arent they consistently getting bags kicked on them? Is it the midfield? the forwards? surely they get some credit for stopping their opponents kicking goals?

Brodders17 said:
my post was in response to a poster saying mcgaune and thursfield were useless hacks.
if our KPDs are so bad why arent they consistently getting bags kicked on them? Is it the midfield? the forwards? surely they get some credit for stopping their opponents kicking goals?

Why do we leak so many goals? Not our backlines fault? How many did Ryder & Hille kick? Who was on them?

BTW I like Thursfield as a player, he is raraely beaten but IMO if Moore/McGuane/thursfield remain our 3 tall defenders we will continue to struggle

Brodders17 said:

Are our KPDs stopping their opponents? Seems to me a few tall forwards have had a day out against us this year.

I think our defence is pretty poor in general. Short in quality across the board both in terms of tall and shorter players.

Thursfield is overrated by many and McGuane and Moore are battlers.
Post is struggling at Coburg, Tambling is not far behind him. Farmer & King are no good & McMuffin? well..
Newman is about our only proven defender and even he has his critics.
No wonder Deledio is being used back there by Hardwick.
Dimma's got some work to do..

Tigers of Old said:
Are our KPDs stopping their opponents? Seems to me a few tall forwards have had a day out against us this year.

The jarring disconnect with reality caused me to go and check the stats. You might like to try the same before suggestions like this in the future.

Rd 8 - 4/13 (Roughhead 2, Franklin 2) Rd 7 - 4/15 (Tippett 4) Rd 6 - 11/24 (Mooney 5, Pods 5, Hawkins 1) Rd 5 - 6/15 (Pavlich 4, Sandilands 2 - tall forward or ruck)
Rd 4 - 2/20 (Dunn 1, Jamar 1 again ruck or forward) Rd 3 - 6/16 (BRadshaw 4, Goodes 2) Rd 2 - 5/17 (Hahn 3, Hall 1, Lake 1 forward or drifter) Rd 1 - 6/18 (O'hailpin 3, Waite 2, Henderson 1)

The tall forwards Hurley and Gumbleton got ONE apiece. Hille and Ryder got 3 and 2 respectively, down on the 4 and 3 they got against St Kilda.

Tigers of Old said:
I think our defence is pretty poor in general. Short in quality across the board both in terms of tall and shorter players.
That may be closer to the truth but you need to consider that it is a group that is just coming to grips with playing together, for each other, under a new game plan with some new inexperienced players.

Tigers of Old said:

see redans post.
yes our defence can be improved. by plenty. and that includes our KPDs, but what they do pretty well is stop their opponents kicking goals.

RedanTiger said:
The jarring disconnect with reality caused me to go and check the stats. You might like to try the same before suggestions like this in the future.

Rd 8 - 4/13 (Roughhead 2, Franklin 2) Rd 7 - 4/15 (Tippett 4) Rd 6 - 11/24 (Mooney 5, Pods 5, Hawkins 1) Rd 5 - 6/15 (Pavlich 4, Sandilands 2 - tall forward or ruck)
Rd 4 - 2/20 (Dunn 1, Jamar 1 again ruck or forward) Rd 3 - 6/16 (BRadshaw 4, Goodes 2) Rd 2 - 5/17 (Hahn 3, Hall 1, Lake 1 forward or drifter) Rd 1 - 6/18 (O'hailpin 3, Waite 2, Henderson 1)

The tall forwards Hurley and Gumbleton got ONE apiece. Hille and Ryder got 3 and 2 respectively, down on the 4 and 3 they got against St Kilda.
That may be closer to the truth but you need to consider that it is a group that is just coming to grips with playing together, for each other, under a new game plan with some new inexperienced players.
Who is new? farmer? The rest have been together for ages. How has the new gameplan affected the defenders? If anything it should be helping them. More excuses for ordinary footballers. I love this, in time we will upgrade stuff, why the hell keep them? What are we waiting for? Do we have to start again in 2 or 3 years time with key defenders? We have made a massive error persisting with McGuane at CHB - one of the most important positions on the ground. I'm hoping like hell Post/Gourdis/Grimes all develop into very good AFL footballers/defenders.

Brodders17 said:
see redans post.
yes our defence can be improved. by plenty. and that includes our KPDs, but what they do pretty well is stop their opponents kicking goals.

Then who is kicking all the damn goals if our defence is so effective?

RedanTiger said:

I did check the stats before I posted it Red. :p

Mooney 5
Pods 5
BRadshaw 4
Pavlich 4
Tippett 4
Hahn 3
O'hailpin 3

Like I said a few talls have had a day out against us this year, so have a few smalls.
It's been an even spread of scoring against our very ordinary defence.

Tigers of Old said:
I did check the stats before I posted it Red. :p

Mooney 5
Pods 5
BRadshaw 4
Pavlich 4
Tippett 4
Hahn 3
O'hailpin 3

Like I said a few talls have had a day out against us this year, so have a few smalls.
It's been an even spread of scoring against our very ordinary defence.

the cats thrashed us. their forwards joined in.
with exception of tippett, im not sure any of the other key forwards have bettered their season average against us.
I guess if by a few talls you mean 3 you might be right.

mcguanes disposal is ordinary. thursfield doesnt like the ball in his hands. all true, but their opponents do not regularly kick bags of goals against them.