Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 9 - Game Day Thread - ESS v RICH

Tigers of Old said:
I did check the stats before I posted it Red. :p

Mooney 5
Pods 5
BRadshaw 4
Pavlich 4
Tippett 4
Hahn 3
O'hailpin 3

Like I said a few talls have had a day out against us this year, so have a few smalls.
It's been an even spread of scoring against our very ordinary defence.

I agree I don't see that as evidence of us being particularly weak against KPP forwards considering we were thrashed in most of those games.

Essendon has one of the all time greats in their back-line and a couple of the brightest young KPP defenders in the land and Jack managed 6 against them in a team that didn't get the ball inside 50 much.

Brodders17 said:
the cats thrashed us. their forwards joined in.
with exception of tippett, im not sure any of the other key forwards have bettered their season average against us.
I guess if by a few talls you mean 3 you might be right.

Take your point to a degree.
Still think that they (Moore, McGuane & Thursfield) have struggled to contain their opponents this year more than previously.
Those bare goal stats don't tell the whole story either. Don't have access to the data but I'd bet many of their opponents would have had a direct impact on goal assists to opposition forwards. You don't have to have your opponent kick a heap of goals on you to be well beaten.
We've also been having a heap of trouble clearing from defence and they have all played their part in that.

mcguann cant kick and makes dumb decisions and is a liability - he is not an afl standard defender
thurstfield is so one dimensional and also lacks skills and marking ability - not afl standard
moore is a solid 3rd tall who defends and rebounds

the first 2 players are major keys as to why the remaining defenders cant leave the backline and spread and create... u just have to pressure thursty and mcguann and they will turn it over... once you have run off your man and they turn it over you get caught out - so better be safe and stay back - hence no spread no overlapping rebound and no run from the back