Round 5 - the other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 5 - the other games

Could not agree more.
It is more like a game of keepings off these days.
So many uncontested possessions.
Kick to a man who is on his own over the other side of the ground, then he kicks to another on his own.
Boring, so no wonder the crowds are down and why many watching on telly go to bed at half time.

It is an interesting one this, I have been looking at a few stats and comparisons, within the limits of what is available on AFLTables.

In terms of possessions, the percentage of possessions which are contested fell in the mid-2000s but this was actually more a result of an increase in possessions as contested possessions were fairly stable. The number of possessions per game is slightly falling and, in line with my inkling that the AFL wants to get back to the game as it was in the mid-2000s, there is a levelling off of contested possessions as a percentage of total possessions. Not sure where it will go from here, but a comparison shows the following:

Possessions contested and otherwise to Rd 4 2022.jpg

In terms of marks, there is a similar trend of trying to return to the mid 2000s. The percentage of marks which are contested dropped from almost 20% in 1999 down to just under 9% in 2006, rose again to 14.7% in 2011 and has been falling again. It was 12.16% in 2021 and so far in 2022 it is 10.78%, as you can see here:

Contested marks as percentage of total to Rd 5 2022.jpg

The question is where is it going? Not entirely sure but there does seem to be a trend towards a less contested game, more possessions being uncontested. Stats don't tell us everything and observation is also useful as people who have watched the game for decades are clearly seeing trends in more passing to uncontested marks and the like.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Chip prop chip prop chip prop. Rinse repeat from one half forward line to the other. Hate the way the game is at

Agree, unless the Tigers are playing I have little interest in other games. I hate the way the umpiring is going (missing significant and real free kicks and paying technical and dubious frees) and I can't stand the mostly pathetic commentators and their meaningless chatter during play (the sound is off now when I watch the footy). The AFL must know that spectators like me have no interest in other sports so they wont lose me to something else but they are losing me from the game itself. There are no easy solutions as complex issues are not dealt with by simple solutions and tinkering, but by good leadership. Sadly that is lacking in spades at the AFL. Maybe if we lose Benny it will be for the greater good...

Reactions: 3 users
To be fair he’s played about 5 good games with his best being that 2018 PF, why they e persisted with him for so long I don’t know.
I must be wrong, even Kingy is asking the same question! And the Pies going the high moral ground on Dunstall making light of Cox wearing those glasses.

“I’m wondering what the function is that Mason Cox plays for the Pies. Because there’s just no influence,” King said on Fox Footy.

“He’s 31 years of age - the experiment has run its course. 78 games he’s played of AFL footy, and just too regularly (struggles).

“I’m just looking at what he’s done. He hasn’t shifted a game or shifted a course of a game for a long time.

“I’m just worried they’ve gone really tall tonight, they’ve got two ruckmen already, do they need Mason Cox down there? I think the guy has no presence, no influence forward of centre, I just think this experiment has run its course.”

Hawthorn legend Dunstall used chocolate eggs to make light of Cox’s glasses.

“Don’t write him off, because we’ll miss the black shades and... ‘I’m Batman!’,” Dunstall said while putting the chocolate eggs in front of his eyes.

“We’ve got to have him mate, it’s entertainment. He competes, he’s tall.”
The 31-year-old American is wearing prescription glasses while playing this year after six different surgeries on his eyes in the past three years.

On Twitter Collingwood responded to Dunstall.
“Making a joke out of an injury that has seriously impacted Mason’s life isn’t appropriate. Be better,” the Pies Tweeted. “

AFL needs to introduce the mercy rule for these matches. Or allow for a Capt to tap out. Runner can run out with a white towel to give to the Ump.

Geez the umpires are useless. Ruining the game completely

Reactions: 1 users
North are getting reamed. The umps really have no idea.

Bulldogs have already kicked the number of goals in total they kicked against us.

Weightman puts a fair bit of mayo on, the umps have got a harder enough job as it is without him carrying on as if he's been shot.

Reactions: 1 users
You can see the staging a mile away yet the dud umps keep paying it.