Round 5 - The other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 5 - The other games

Tubytiger said:
Led gamely by their captain - I wonder how many dreamteam points/stats that count that he has got up by now.... ::)

Should have made Hille capt.
McVeigh unsighted, Stanton-ess version of Raines wants to run whenever he has the ball, zaharakis unsighted, Dyson a dud in anything contested.

Honestly, i think it is well about time that the AFL looked at sharing this game with other Vic teams. FF, not a bad idea but i think the money is the only thing the AFL is worried about.

Rfc4Ever said:
He's not out according to the AFL website final teams...

Just mentioned he was an out on Fox televising the game live mate. Aparently run out on the ground for a warm up but run off and started throwing up once back in the rooms - has a flu.

Tubytiger said:
Just mentioned he was an out on Fox televising the game live mate.

Fair enough...you'd expect Roughead against McIntosh, Hale and Goldstein...good luck Hawks!!

I was going by this (the lists lodged an hour before the game)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93017/default.aspx

Whoever tips 8 this week is either a freak or knows *smile* all about footy.

Tubytiger said:
Honestly, i think it is well about time that the AFL looked at sharing this game with other Vic teams.

Agree. Can you imagine what value this game would be if Collingwood and Essendon were bottom 2 on the ladder?

As it's early in the season, they should give the Anzac game to the Preliminary Final losers.

TigerForce said:
Agree. Can you imagine what value this game would be if Collingwood and Essendon were bottom 2 on the ladder?

As it's early in the season, they should give the Anzac game to the Preliminary Final losers.

Neutral supporters are asking the same questions about Richmond-Carlton being the season opener. Collingwood and Essendon put in the groundwork to start what is now a minor tradition, so let them have it IMO.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Neutral supporters are asking the same questions about Richmond-Carlton being the season opener. Collingwood and Essendon put in the groundwork to start what is now a minor tradition, so let them have it IMO.

Yeah a mini-tradition is hard to break, but I'm not sure about the groundwork when Collingwood's being given just about every favour by the AFL for a long time.

As I mentioned earlier, let's see what crowd turns up when these 2 teams start re-building again. A 10 goal lead for most of the day wasn't worth viewing for 90,000 people. Let the 3rd and 4th team of the year before play.

Teams have nearly always played on ANZAC day. I remember sitting at the top of a packed northern stand in the 70s one ANZAC day watching Rich v coll. Easily 90K+ there that day. (we got smashed).

Ess and coll reckon they have dibs on it because sheedy rejuventated the idea of celebrating the diggers and ANZAC tradition. It was all about timing as the coll/ess ANZAC day game coincided with the rejuvenation of interest in ANZAC day. The service at the Dardenelles has only been happening for about the same time. It is all linked with the smaller numbers that were marching, RSL and the govts not acknowledging Vietnam vets (again a sheedy link) and providing the Vietnam guys the same health benefits and support networks.

Arguably you wont get 90K to watch geel, stk or dogs but does that matter? It's about the honour of playing on that day and playing a great standard and calibre of game.

Fighting Fury said:
Teams have nearly always played on ANZAC day. I remember sitting at the top of a packed northern stand in the 70s one ANZAC day watching Rich v coll. Easily 90K+ there that day. (we got smashed).

Ess and coll reckon they have dibs on it because sheedy rejuventated the idea of celebrating the diggers and ANZAC tradition. It was all about timing as the coll/ess ANZAC day game coincided with the rejuvenation of interest in ANZAC day. The service at the Dardenelles has only been happening for about the same time. It is all linked with the smaller numbers that were marching, RSL and the govts not acknowledging Vietnam vets (again a sheedy link) and providing the Vietnam guys the same health benefits and support networks.

Arguably you wont get 90K to watch geel, stk or dogs but does that matter? It's about the honour of playing on that day and playing a great standard and calibre of game.

Sheedy's done a lot for his father team (us) hasn't he? ;D

14 other teams are missing out on that honor just because an ex- Essendon coach started this.

Just had a look at Bomberblitz. The knives are out for Knighta. Had to put up with my dentist raving on about what a loser team Richmond is and how great Essendon are. Love to ask him if he went today.
The bombers are such arrogant supporters, I'm enjoying hearing the bleating at the moment, even if we aren't travelling so well. Can't wait to turn it around , there will be payback big time. I never bag another supporters team (at least not to their face ;D) I will just smile when our time finally comes.

TigerForce said:
Yeah a mini-tradition is hard to break, but I'm not sure about the groundwork when Collingwood's being given just about every favour by the AFL for a long time.

As I mentioned earlier, let's see what crowd turns up when these 2 teams start re-building again. A 10 goal lead for most of the day wasn't worth viewing for 90,000 people. Let the 3rd and 4th team of the year before play.

They'll draw 70,000 no matter what, like they did in 2005 when it was 11th v 14th and like we do against Carlton. Wouldn't be any more or less interested if it was Geelong v St.Kilda or anyone else - it's just another game, but it works well for the two clubs.

Yep Collingwood get a lot of favours and I'd support removing some of their Friday night games or some other method of balancing things, but we know that's not gonna happen while the AFL structures everything around revenue.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Neutral supporters are asking the same questions about Richmond-Carlton being the season opener.

and Dimi rspnded by saying we weren't guaranteed it. Same question should be put to Dimi again re Anzac Day.
Personally feel it should be shared and like the idea of the Grand Finalist from the previous season having the honour.

stripes17 said:
Just had a look at Bomberblitz. The knives are out for Knighta. Had to put up with my dentist raving on about what a loser team Richmond is and how great Essendon are. Love to ask him if he went today.
The bombers are such arrogant supporters, I'm enjoying hearing the bleating at the moment, even if we aren't travelling so well. Can't wait to turn it around , there will be payback big time. I never bag another supporters team (at least not to their face ;D) I will just smile when our time finally comes.
When Channel 7 showed Essendon's next 4 games, I heard Commetti sarcastically mention that Richmond is the one to look at (for a win to the Bombers), and then heard Richo just about crack at Commetti.

Even when we're rebuilding the media mongrels love to take a bite. ;D

TigerForce said:
Even when we're rebuilding the media mongrels love to take a bite. ;D

Yeah I must admit it's getting a little boring from the media now. Everyone knows it's going to be a hard couple of years ahead of us but they still want to stick the boots in at every opportunity.

Defence wins premierships, Knights would do well to remember that. And while we're on the topic of defence, Collingwood probably applying the most defensive pressure of any side atm. If they can keep this up they'll go close in September.