Round 14 - The Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 14 - The Other Games

Ripplestick said:
They might cancel the round and deem last nights game to not count.

Not sure they can do that. I imagine Adelaide will be given the choice to postpone. The rest of the round will continue.

Chimptastic said:
It's bad for our top 4 aspirations, but good for our finals aspirations.

This. We can afford to focus on our own results only. We have Collingwood and Hawthorn to come; keep winning and it'll open up for us.

Tigers of Old said:
Personally I'd prefer it played at another time, say mid week.

Tuesday (July 7) might be the latest night to play, and probably best to re-schedule Round 15 by moving one or both of the WC v Adel and NM v Geel games to Sunday night and also the Thursday night game Port v Collingwood to Saturday night.

putting the whole tragic situation aside (and we can all pass on our condolences in the PW thread), but this a situation that has never happened before and it needs to be addressed.

first and foremost, the whole situation needs to be handled in a way that isn't disrespectful...

Adelaide v Geelong - surely this game can't go ahead? If it doesn't go ahead, it will be impossible to reschedule. I can't see any other option but call it a draw and award 2 points each.

Round 14 other games: the games must go ahead IMO. some might say Collingwood v hawthorn could be moved to tomorrow or Sunday as a sign of respect, but we are playing at the MCG tomorrow and Collingwood play next Thursday. it just can't be done IMO.

some media types have suggested the whole season be pushed back 1 week, but that is logically impossible. stadiums have been booked and tickets have been bought. and what if you have purchased flights for an interstate trip? I can't imagine airlines providing thousands of refunds.

its a tragic situation, but life does go on and footy can't stop.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Could they move the R23 game to a neutral venue and play for eight points?

They could but that would cause all sorts of issues if one or both teams can make the 8 with 8 more points. Teams that could be knocked out due to a final year 8 pointer would claim it's unfair etc.

I think in some ways a delay will just delay the grieving process. Either play it Sunday, don't play and call it a draw, or postpone to a midweek match in the next 2 weeks.

Baloo said:
They could but that would cause all sorts of issues if one or both teams can make the 8 with 8 more points. Teams that could be knocked out due to a final year 8 pointer would claim it's unfair etc.

I think in some ways a delay will just delay the grieving process. Either play it Sunday, don't play and call it a draw, or postpone to a midweek match in the next 2 weeks.

Think it'd only be unfair if one or the other was beset by injuries in the interim.

Every team still plays 22 games and can record a maximum of 88 points. It's up to people to factor it in when looking at the ladder.

Would be more unfair to play it midweek and give both clubs' next opponents an easier game.

Chimptastic said:
It's bad for our top 4 aspirations, but good for our finals aspirations.

Agree. Still plenty of work to make the finals let along top 4.

Lots of stuff doing the rounds.

AFL conferencing the clubs as to what happen this round and possibly next due to Phillips funeral as well.

Scheduled meeting was due at 1.45 but obviously so many scenarios being penned out to be agreed by all clubs.

waiting said:
Looks likely just tweeted and mentioned 2 Pts each to Cats and Crows as most mentioned.

Probably the most sensible option even though it deprives either side to gain 2 extra points for final 8 spot, but then again, I doubt the Crows would be thinking about finals for the rest of the season.

Good decision by the AFL. I would think Geelong would be okay with getting 2 points from an away game.

Tragic but will let the Phil Walsh thread be used for those discussions.

Massive win for the swans last night, 2 players down, activated sub in 2nd qtr, Port were looking good and the swans came back at them... Gutsy gutsy win considering they had buddy and Tippett sitting out.. Goodes was very good again! Reid was good.. Good win swannies