ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Interesting first quarter. Carlton in the first 15 minutes showed how modern day footy is all about hitting targets. We hardly touched the pill. It has to be said, Benny turned over 4 times in my estimation - Tuckesque, I thought. Turnovers are such killers these days.

All in all wasn't as discouraging as i thought after reading people who had be listening to the radio.

i can't believe the ruck set-up we have gone in with. Carlt0on are getting free- first use. Poor coaching.

U2Tigers said:
Can't blame to much on Jackson IMO - hes getting the ball at least.

a lot worse then him.

The other seniors I agree with tonight

I know but his decision making is just poor. I feel like a broken record but I just don't think he's the type of footballer that will contribute to a Premiership. You need to be smart once you get the ball and while he's certainly getting it, I often wish someone else had it.

Getting smashed in the ruck. It's really hurting us. Simmonds can't keep up and TV is just being monstered by Cruiser and Warnock. I hope Browne and/or Graham step up soon.

Carlton's run and spreading in the first 20mins of each quarter is also killing us. It's only when they get tired do we get back into it a bit.

thejinx said:
+1, been non existent, as has ....Tambling...

Very disappointed with our defensive pressure. Thought we'd be tougher off the ball.

So Tambling's 8 tackles in half a game haven't impressed you jinx?

Interesting the betfair stuff next to the scores on the AFL site. They are offering 11.00 dollars on a side that is 19 points behind at half time and has had more scoring shots?

Disco08 said:
So Tambling's 8 tackles in half a game haven't impressed you jinx?

hasn't impressed me much - he hardly getting the ball.

Carrazzo started tagging Bling - no need for that Carrazzo doesn't need to - hes first to it most times. Bling not hurting them back.

thejinx said:
So far, best performers have been Jackson, Reiwoldt, Cousins and Hislop.
Skills killing us. They've won all the contested ball. Our senior/best players (Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling included) have not fired a shot. Our defensive gameplan is leaking goals. We can't kick a set shot. We mark space and not the man. We look light and can't stick a tackle. We have a bunch of kids (Nason, Roberts, Martin) who spend long periods spectating.

But we're only 3 goals down at half time?

Carlton look tired. They are starting to butcher the ball. If we can start to win the ball ... well, you just never know.

The inside 50 are tied, if Carlton had missed a few a their arsey goals it's a close game. Jackson has been good, Jack creating a contest. Roberts lazy and selfish but it's early days

thejinx said:
No, they mustn't have been important tackles, haven't even noticed them.

Fair enough. I guess someone noticed them to get on the stats sheet but whatever.

Bling needs to do more, as does Lids, Newman, Moore, Simmonds, Riewoldt. Just tackling isn't going to win us this game.

Disco08 said:
Fair enough. I guess someone noticed them to get on the stats sheet but whatever.

Tackles don't mean *smile* unless they disposess the opposition, or put enough pressure on the ball handler to compromise their disposal.

Tambling may have laid a heap of tackles, but I haven't noticed any of his tackles doing any of the above.

We're only a few goals down, so you never know. But I just wish we weren't such lazy runners. I can never understand why our opposition always get so open.

Happy with 3 late qtr goals. 37 points down at the time, about the score where we usually rollover and get smashed.

Might we finally have a bit of steel? Whether we come back to win or not, as long as the margin doesnt blow out i reckon we've turned the corner a little.

That Simmonds handball in the middle of the ground is exactly why we've been *smile* for so long. A big wave of movement down the ground and a lazy, sloppy handball at the feet brings it all to an end.

The writing is on the wall big fella.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but I can't help feeling we lost this game at the selection table. It seems to me we are broadly matching them around the ground but our ruck contest is non existent as i expected when they left out another ruck. We're also missing a second tall in the forward line even if he is only there to draw a big defender. The inclusin of two of post, polak and graham would've made the game a lot more balanced.

I don't want to burn a young guy early but we could've left either Nason or Roberts out of the side for another big.

Loving Reiwoldt's game. He is outnumbered and delivery is poor but is still making it happen. A real breakout game for him I feel, I'm firmly on his bandwagon - he just need support.

Great game by Jacko - he also needs support. Chimp, Martin, Lids and Tambling need to lift.

I can see some positives in our defensive teamwork.

Pity our kids are a bit thin armed and have the ball pulled off them.

You can see in the strange ruck positioning, the 'Tambling 10 tackles' and some of our zoning work that there is some real work being put into this team.

Still think we need another tall in the forward-line.

Yeh, it's pretty obvious eh Ghost.

On another note: Hardwick should devise gameplans that get Morton one out. I feel he is very under rated even by our own club and supporters. He has the potential to be Nathan Brown-like if he just has enough space.