Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

St Kevin said:
Pendles and Judd have a good 5 cms on Petterd. And they are freaks of nature, which Ricky isn't. Again we aren't even comparing apples with oranges, more like apples with go-karts. Petterd doesn't need to be a world beater to play his role for the side. And currently, he's the best we have.

My point is I dont think he plays tall enough, because he is certainly not a run and carry player, or an influential runner considering his height. And his skills are not sublime enough to cover these deficiencies.
I would prefer to be turning over Gordon, mcdonough, Arnot etc
We can cover Petterd easy - he is very replaceable

Merveille said:
My point is I dont think he plays tall enough, because he is certainly not a run and carry player, or an influential runner considering his height. And his skills are not sublime enough to cover these deficiencies.
I would prefer to be turning over Gordon, mcdonough, Arnot etc
We can cover Petterd easy - he is very replaceable

None of those players play the same swingman role as Petterd though. I agree he is replaceable, but not via Arnot (a tough, in and under mid), McDonough (mid/HFF) or Gordon (mid/HFF again). Who on our list is kicking him out, particularly if he continues to be a swingman?

St Kevin said:
None of those players play the same swingman role as Petterd though. I agree he is replaceable, but not via Arnot (a tough, in and under mid), McDonough (mid/HFF) or Gordon (mid/HFF again). Who on our list is kicking him out, particularly if he continues to be a swingman?

We have Kamdyn McIntosh who could take over, but surely he is a couple of years away from a fulltime AFL role. Needs to earn a few more stripes in the VFL.

This is why i don't understand the angst for Pettard. He is as good as we have for this position, and he fills is adequately.

As tigersnake said we can't have 22 star players. Some are going to be foot soldiers with the odd deficiency.

St Kevin said:

Go through our 22 - we have about 8-10 swingmen, thats how football is played these days. Off top of my head Houli, Ellis, conca, Newman, grigg, Lids, even Martin been doing it, Grimes could easy do it, Aaron Edwards should be ahead of him as a swinger, batchelor should have been swung aroind a bit more - he is better in the air in my opinion and could take a grab up forward

BT Tiger said:
We have Kamdyn McIntosh who could take over, but surely he is a couple of years away from a fulltime AFL role. Needs to earn a few more stripes in the VFL.

This is why i don't understand the angst for Pettard. He is as good as we have for this position, and he fills is adequately.

As tigersnake said we can't have 22 star players. Some are going to be foot soldiers with the odd deficiency.

Bingo.

Merveille said:
Go through our 22 - we have about 8-10 swingmen, thats how football is played these days. Off top of my head Houli, Ellis, conca, Newman, grigg, Lids, even Martin been doing it, Grimes could easy do it, Aaron Edwards should be ahead of him as a swinger, batchelor should have been swung aroind a bit more - he is better in the air in my opinion and could take a grab up forward

Ellis, Houli, Grigg, Lids and Martin to an extent are all outside mids flankers. Conca an inside mid. You generally want these players with the ball in hand, unlike Petterd who you want playing a more defensive role on an opponent. Not everyone can be beautifully skilled, sometimes you need guys who main job is to stop their opposite number.

'Grimes could do it easy?' Any evidence? Same with Azza, aside from a quarter against GC last season any evidence? The less Batchelor plays in the 1s the better.

the-DH Band said:
Stick to the topic dumbo the bullish it artist :help

So what's the topic? Petterd's a dud and he should be delisted despite earning 6 votes from the coaches last week? You really come across as a troll for hire desperate for a whipping boy. Time to lighten up and enjoy the win instead of resorting to churlish commentary about a player who wore the sash with pride on Thursday. It must really grate on your nerves when Petterd contributes to our success, did you even see the game last week?

Merveille said:
By the way it is not angst, Petterd has a crack. I only have angst for one player, no. 6

And that comes to my earlier point. I'd rather have Grigg and King out of the 1s before Petterd.

bullus_hit said:
So what's the topic? Petterd's a dud and he should be delisted despite earning 6 votes from the coaches last week? You really come across as a troll for hire desperate for a whipping boy. Time to lighten up and enjoy the win instead of resorting to churlish commentary about a player who wore the sash with pride on Thursday. It must really grate on your nerves when Petterd contributes to our success, did you even see the game last week?
Did I hit a nerve?sorry your blood pressure rose
We played duds last week and fell in
I'm not convinced we will progress on last year as we have not replaced the crowd that let us down on that ef day which depressed me all summer
We will not progress unless petterd Griggs Newman and Chaplin are passed onto our vfl team
It's been obvious from our first two games we have not changed or improved on last year both on field or coaching box
So ignore as much as you like but bullushit will be full of it instead

Merveille said:
By the way it is not angst, Petterd has a crack. I only have angst for one player, no. 6
Merveille said:
Bongo - adequately is not good enough - we need better!

Fair enough at some stage we will need to upgrade pettard, just like we need an upgrade for King and for grigg. But that's not going to change anytime this year as we don't have the cattle.

I find the timing of those whining about pettard (and I'm not necessarily talking about mervielle) very strange, as he played a good game on Thursday. More than adequate/serviceable

Does anyone else think ' the DH- band and frawleyudud are very similar in the way they post, just sayin but I think they are one and the same person :dontfeedthetroll

I highly doubt they even barrack for Richmond, probably got an account on every clubs forum doing exactly the same thing.

Tommo37 said:
Does anyone else think ' the DH- band and frawleyudud are very similar in the way they post, just sayin but I think they are one and the same person :dontfeedthetroll

I highly doubt they even barrack for Richmond, probably got an account on every clubs forum doing exactly the same thing.
Hard to say, given i luckily don't see the duds posts anymore. It does make sense though because the DH has made me reach for the block list again...

DeathNinthandTaxes said:
Hard to say, given i luckily don't see the duds posts anymore. It does make sense though because the DH has made me reach for the block list again...
The good old troll escape clause to divert from the truth and topic
The cockatoo gallery has now entered the debate
A forum is to discuss and debate not to attack by stupidity and immaturity

Tommo37 said:

the gospel according to Dimmer

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
sheep mentality at is best

the-DH Band said:
The good old troll escape clause to divert from the truth and topic
The cockatoo gallery has now entered the debate
A forum is to discuss and debate not to attack by stupidity and immaturity

You ignored my post re: another who seems to think a footy side is all stars. Your preogative.

We used to have way too many non stars and outright bums. Their roles were ill-defined, they were over rated, soft, entrenched in the seniors, we paid them too much and paid way over the odds if we traded them in.

Now we have about as many as other good clubs, we get them cheap, we pay them fairly, they aren't soft, their roles are clearly defined and they get dropped if they don't perform their role and/or their is competition for their spot.

I can understand why some people huff and puff about second and third tier players and depth players, but you've got to keep it in perspective.

The thing with Petterd is I was hoping he'd be in the 22-26 bracket of value this year. That is, depth only.

Essentially, what he was acquired for.

But I think we're focussing on the wrong issue. It's not whether Ricky should be in the first squad, but why Dea and Batchelor, second and third rounders, haven't been able to cement their spots?

FWIW I am still bullish on Dea. The hand injury is horrible timing. Batch, well he has been very disappointing.

tigersnake said:
You ignored my post re: another who seems to think a footy side is all stars. Your preogative.

We used to have way too many non stars and outright bums. Their roles were ill-defined, they were over rated, soft, entrenched in the seniors, we paid them too much and paid way over the odds if we traded them in.

Now we have about as many as other good clubs, we get them cheap, we pay them fairly, they aren't soft, their roles are clearly defined and they get dropped if they don't perform their role and/or their is competition for their spot.

I can understand why some people huff and puff about second and third tier players and depth players, but you've got to keep it in perspective.

yes bc you missed the point thats all