Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Tigers of Old said:
Sure is. Drops it from near his waist. Horrid action.
Obviously learned bad habits early.

282716-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg
And he knows it. Anyone who saw his first game live would have seen by end of match he wanted to handball at any cost. Doesn't trust himself. Sooner delisted the better.

spook said:
The goal he kicked. Whoa. How did that go straight? Have a look at the ball flight - the ball's horizontal. Kicking aside, he's actually not a bad player.

Unfortuantely kicking is a big part of footy.

Pettard is a bit of an enigma. Does some simple things very badly, then does difficult things very well. Case in point, was his over running of the ball in the Olympic stand forward pocket - nobody in front of him for 35m had he gathered, Carlton take possession, but Pettard lays and sticks a tackle to dispossess allowing us to goal in the end. The tackle was fantastic on a player breaking away, the fumble and allowing of the ball to get behind him in the first place was unforgivable )until the tackle i guess).

As others have mentioned, the goal he did kick, the ball drop looked horrible. You can tell if a ball is going to go straight 95% of the time from the drop. I couldn't believe that one went through.

On ball drops, Jacks ball drop against the Lions was very high too for some reason.

frickenel said:
Pettard is a bit of an enigma. Does some simple things very badly, then does difficult things very well. Case in point, was his over running of the ball in the Olympic stand forward pocket - nobody in front of him for 35m had he gathered, Carlton take possession, but Pettard lays and sticks a tackle to dispossess allowing us to goal in the end. The tackle was fantastic on a player breaking away, the fumble and allowing of the ball to get behind him in the first place was unforgivable )until the tackle i guess).

As others have mentioned, the goal he did kick, the ball drop looked horrible. You can tell if a ball is going to go straight 95% of the time from the drop. I couldn't believe that one went through.

On ball drops, Jacks ball drop against the Lions was very high too for some reason.

yeah. echoes of McGuane. Both decent depth players for where we are at the moment, both in the side is not ideal. They won't both be there next year.

tigersnake said:
yeah. echoes of McGuane. Both decent depth players for where we are at the moment, both in the side is not ideal. They won't both be there next year.

I think you'll find both will be there, both may even be playing in September. They will be upgraded in due course, but that will hinge on the development of the younger brigade.

bullus_hit said:
I think you'll find both will be there, both may even be playing in September. They will be upgraded in due course, but that will hinge on the development of the younger brigade.

Yeah maybe. They are both funny ones. Can do the hard things well and stuff up the easy things. Luke's poor decision making really stood out yesterday because the good players were struggling, he has tunnel vision. All things considered, glad we kept him this season, but next will be a bridge too far. Only my opinion of course.

tigersnake said:
Yeah maybe. They are both funny ones. Can do the hard things well and stuff up the easy things. Luke's poor decision making really stood out yesterday because the good players were struggling, he has tunnel vision. All things considered, glad we kept him this season, but next will be a bridge too far. Only my opinion of course.

McGuane represents the McBean insurance policy, the quicker we can get him up to speed the better. But as is the case with all young talls, he'll need ample development time. Next season I think we could expect a dozen games from the Beanpole, the rest will have to be filled by Muscles and maybe even Elton. Edwards is the one who might be in the gun.

bullus_hit said:
McGuane represents the McBean insurance policy, the quicker we can get him up to speed the better. But as is the case with all young talls, he'll need ample development time. Next season I think we could expect a dozen games from the Beanpole, the rest will have to be filled by Muscles and maybe even Elton. Edwards is the one who might be in the gun.

I agree, and to be honest won't be disapointed to see both McGuane and Pettard retained next year, but i think Aaron Edwards is on borrowed time. He is miles ahead of VFL level, but way too inconsistent at AFL level. The problem is, the VFL form temps the selectors and i think McGuane was probably unlucky to be left out for as long as he was in the middle of the year.

The thing that concerns me a little with McBean replacing McGuane is the possibility that the opposition will start to spring board off our forward line. We'd want to make sure we have some decent defensive smalls in there as well. Having said that, i'm dying to see how McBean would go in the extra space of the 'G' and with better structures around him. He certainly knows how to time a lead, and also crumbs better than most smalls, let alone for a guy of his height.

Either he plays forward with funnily enough has played his whole career before dimma decided to put him at half back or nothing he is not up to it in defence

bullus_hit said:
He missed 1 shot on goal, I could list half a dozen players who also missed some sitters. Once again, one mistake and the lynch mob come out in force. If he slotted that gettable chance he would have met all the benchmarks required of a medium forward, to suggest his kicking is broken is a gross exaggeration.

And contrary to the constant howls of derision, his DE efficiency has been above average for most of the year. 92% today and has generally been better than most give him credit for.

Dimma sees it too bh.

It was really interesting for me to watch Marley Williams tonight. Useless in the air and could not kick, but quick to the fall.

*What is the fall?*

Usually it's the accidental drop of the ball from hands on the aeriel ball. From time to time about interception.

Marley Williams is very good at reading the fall from hands. And quick.

Petterd reads the fall from hands. Quick to read. Quick on foot. A little injury prone, hey.

I want Pettterd at the fall. He's quick. A mop.