Prospective ruckman ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prospective ruckman ?

CC TIGER said:
Isn't Clarke at Freo an Smith at GC ?

Hmm yes I'm confusing the two, the one I'm interested in is Zac Smtih at GC. But I'd take Zac Clarke too ;D

Coburgtiger said:
We don't need another ruckman. Griff and Vickery should be 1 and 2 ruck. Griff is useless as a goal kicking forward, but has a lot of strengths around the ground. The rucking itself doesn't matter anymore, unless you can pinch a Sandilands or Nic nat. Everyone else just halves the contest. Vickery can kick goals when forward, but is a creative ruckman who backs up at ground level. That's what you work with.

God help us if we plan on any of these two being our primary ruckmen. They make solid backup ruckmen but are not the long-term answer. We need a bonfide ruckman with one of Griffiths and Vickery as backup. I don't think Griffiths and Vickery will work long-term. Vickery needs to be traded while he still has value.

Thought Zac Clarke might have been a good option a couple of years ago, looked a bit of a long skinny useless pelican against us a couple of weeks ago.
Bit of a dilemma the ruck position at the moment.
Seems the old warrior types like Maric struggle to have much impression nowadays, hustle n bustle but not enough leap n finesse or brute power. Apart from a few genuine ruck beasts, NicNat, Sandi n Mummy a lot of clubs are opting for the athletic, mobile ruck / mid, or ruck / forward type players who can contest / halve a ball up then follow up with good general around the ground footy.
Stupid thing is we've got three of these types who should be perfectly situated to cover the role yet are going nowhere with it at present. Age n match experience should see Ty, Griff n the Beanster in the box seat to fill the mobile ruck type for years to come.

Some thought Hampson was a good replacement for Maric. Look what happened there. Looking at other teams current or potential cast-offs is fraught with danger. We got lucky with Ivan and had a couple of good seasons from the warrior and he still isn't that shabby but may not be as lucky with a replacement from another club.

UKTiger said:
Some thought Hampson was a good replacement for Maric. Look what happened there. Looking at other teams current or potential cast-offs is fraught with danger. We got lucky with Ivan and had a couple of good seasons from the warrior and he still isn't that shabby but may not be as lucky with a replacement from another club.

In hindsight, & had Hampson been fit, he would have been a much better option to combat NicNat than Maric was.
That's not to say Hampson is a more valuable Richmond player than Maric but against this specific opponent Hampson is far better equipped to nullify Nic Nats great strength as the best centre bounce ruckman in the country.

Hampson is supposed to be a very good ruckman.
He might be better than Maric, I'm not sure.

But a ruckman has to become a player when the throw in /ball is completed
Maric so far has hammer covered.

And now hammer is injured.

By the way, mcbean apparently covered Hammer's role pretty well so the messiah could return if Maric has an injury problem soon

DirtyDogTiger said:
Hampson is supposed to be a very good ruckman.
He might be better than Maric, I'm not sure.

But a ruckman has to become a player when the throw in /ball is completed
Maric so far has hammer covered.

And now hammer is injured.

By the way, mcbean apparently covered Hammer's role pretty well so the messiah could return if Maric has an injury problem soon

Not sure about that , i watched most of the game and McB looked lost as a ruck.

Zac Clarke
Kreuzer

someone said we need a player to help Maric next year...

looks to me we need Maric to help someone next year.

Maric has been great for our club but i think 2016 may be his last.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
Grimley, definitely.

I think Grimley needs a chance but he's more of a forward/ruck (in the Ty mould) than an outright ruck. But he's mobile, a nice kick. Won the Frosty Miller medal last year from memory.

3 way trade;
L'berger Bris > Freo
Zac Clarke Freo > Richmond
Vickery Rich > Bris

Shuffle some 2nd & 3rd round picks for balance and move on.

Darth Tiger said:
3 way trade;
L'berger Bris > Freo
Zac Clarke Freo > Richmond
Vickery Rich > Bris

Shuffle some 2nd & 3rd round picks for balance and move on.

Vickery is the best player there.

Ok slightly different kettle of fish... Nicnat does one thing well and does it very well... hits to advantage... apart from that he is useles around the ground except for once a year when he takes a mark of the year contender. If we had a ruckman like that we would all *smile* and moan all he does is hit it to advantage a bit