Prime Minister Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prime Minister Poll

Would you like this man to be our next Prime Minister?

• No

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • A cheese sandwich would be a better option

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
jb03 said:
You still pushing Turnbull RT?

Doubt he will ever be PM though his chances would likely increase if he switched camps.

IMO - Turnbull, Hockey & Smith are streets in front of anybody else in parliament at the moment........

rosy23 said:
What do you think of Tony';s confession he feels threatened by homosexuals? What do you think of him stereotyping women as being at home doing the ironing? What do you think of him referring to a woman (or anyone for that matter) as a "thing"?

What do you think of his violence thumping the walls at the side of someone's, in this case a woman's, head?

I imagine many men of his generation would feel like he does about these things. Just as many would also have a tendency to racism. They are a product of their times. I definitelty don't condone those attitudes but can understand how they have been formed.

I would like to know from his wife and daughters how he treats them - I'm surprised how such a mad mysoginist can still be happily married with 3 daughters that support him - something doesn't add up?

Funny how you raise a negative story with no basis of fact. Were you aware he has also reportedly been involved in rescuing a child from drowning and helping save people from a burning house? Doesn't fit your stereotype of Abbott the a***hole though.

lamb22 said:
Costello's highlights other than introducing the great big new Consumption Tax was losing many billions selling off our gold reserves, losing many billions betting on exhange rate risk, pi$$ing about $250 billion up the wall as mentioned above , leaving a structral deficit and perhaps worst of all leading to the greatest capital destruction of our share markets in his generous superannuation concessions which saw many higher income earners 'overinvest' in the market just before the crash, and if you listen to Costello a crash he said he knew was coming. I think "Financial Tsunami" were his exact words. How stupid would you have to be to do that?

What about Costello guiding us through the Asian Financial Crisis?
And as our longest serving treasurer and most budgets delivered and years of personal tax cuts?
Just forgotten in your anti-Costello/pro-Swan diatribe, it seems.

lamb22 said:
On "World's Greatest treasurer" this award known as best finance minister of the world is awarded by EuroMoney a prestigous british economic journal. Just as Times comes out with Person of the year and Forbes comes out with its rich list, Euromoney is the acknowledged source for the prestigous finance minister award. It rightly granted the award to Swan who is also acknowleged wordwide as handing the GFC and post GFC fiscal consolidation better than any other advanced economy. In its 40 year history the inly other Australian treasurer to receive the award was Paul keating for the remarkable changes brought in the 80's floating the dollar, cutting tarriffs, increasing competition and bringing in flexibility to the workforce through enterprise bargaining all the time keeping wages and process in check through the historic accord.

Ah, Paul "the recessions we had to have" Keating also voted world's greatest treasurer?
Also Swan....next year I'm tipping they'll give it to that Greek treasurer :hihi

Swan has inherited a country with a surplus (unlike what Costello/Libs had been left with) and a country going through a resources boom.
Add a few taxes onto it...alcopops, carbon, mining...and Swan has had it pretty good regardless of the GFC.

RemoteTiger said:
Malcolm Turnbull - said to be a loner - but is conciliatory and will lead from the front - would be a strong PM IMO
Joe Hockey - said to be a show man - but has a balanced approach to most situations facing Australia - would be a worthy PM IMO
Stephen Smith - has no real media tag - well balanced approach, very good orator, a definite PM in waiting IMO.

Outside that we have Swan (God help Australia), Shorten (Please Lord NO!), Pyne (A very poor communicator), Robb (The village idiot), Bishop (Oh dear!)

As I started this post - if we get the leader we deserve? - then I believe I deserve Malcolm Turnbull or Joe Hockey or Stephen Smith as our next PM.

The problem with Turnbull is that while he is in the Libs camp...his ideas are more suited to the ALP.
I also don't like his "Australia for a Republic" stance.
Apart from these issues...he would be certainly better than Gillard/Swan and more favourable than Abbott.

Liverpool said:
What about Costello guiding us through the Asian Financial Crisis?
And as our longest serving treasurer and most budgets delivered and years of personal tax cuts?
Just forgotten in your anti-Costello/pro-Swan diatribe, it seems.

Ah, Paul "the recessions we had to have" Keating also voted world's greatest treasurer?
Also Swan....next year I'm tipping they'll give it to that Greek treasurer :hihi

Swan has inherited a country with a surplus (unlike what Costello/Libs had been left with) and a country going through a resources boom.
Add a few taxes onto it...alcopops, carbon, mining...and Swan has had it pretty good regardless of the GFC.

The problem with Turnbull is that while he is in the Libs camp...his ideas are more suited to the ALP.
Apart from these issues...he would be certainly better than Gillard/Swan and more favourable than Abbott.

Your response doesn't contain anything to refute what lamby actually said. Other than that you are opposed to it. Sounds like Abbott's mantra. Costello also had a mining boom we just weren't talking about it as much because commodity prices weren't as high. And he and Mr Howard got busy selling the farm. That is where the money came from. They didn't create it through superior management and didn't institute anything like the scale of the reforms of Keating, (opposed all the way by Howard). The GST was Howard's pet, but it didn't actually reform the tax system and in the end added costs and red tape to business.

KnightersRevenge said:
They didn't create it through superior management and didn't institute anything like the scale of the reforms of Keating, (opposed all the way by Howard). The GST was Howard's pet, but it didn't actually reform the tax system and in the end added costs and red tape to business.

Really?

1980s
The idea for a broad-based consumption tax was first proposed by then federal treasurer Paul Keating at the 1985 Tax Summit but was dropped at the behest of then Labor Prime Minister Bob Hawke after pressure from the ACTU, welfare groups and business, which did not like its association with proposals for capital gains and fringe benefits taxes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_Services_Tax_(Australia)

KnightersRevenge said:
Your response doesn't contain anything to refute what lamby actually said. Other than that you are opposed to it. Sounds like Abbott's mantra.

Considering Lamby22's last paragraph to describe the longest serving treasurer this nation has had, where to the uneducated, you would think he was the biggest disaster this nation has had and Swan is some sort of financial genius, then all I can do is laugh at this comment of yours.
If Swan is going to get credit for Australia surviving the GFC (which, in my opinion, is grossly exaggerated) then Costello should equally get credit for us surviving the Asian financial crisis of the late 90's.
Does that sound fair enough?

Liverpool said:
Really?

1980s
The idea for a broad-based consumption tax was first proposed by then federal treasurer Paul Keating at the 1985 Tax Summit but was dropped at the behest of then Labor Prime Minister Bob Hawke after pressure from the ACTU, welfare groups and business, which did not like its association with proposals for capital gains and fringe benefits taxes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_Services_Tax_(Australia)

Considering Lamby22's last paragraph to describe the longest serving treasurer this nation has had, where to the uneducated, you would think he was the biggest disaster this nation has had and Swan is some sort of financial genius, then all I can do is laugh at this comment of yours.
If Swan is going to get credit for Australia surviving the GFC (which, in my opinion, is grossly exaggerated) then Costello should equally get credit for us surviving the Asian financial crisis of the late 90's.
Does that sound fair enough?

Only in so far as both statements came with more than a little hyperbole attached. No one suggested he was a disaster. Just that he isn't recognised internationally for being all that worthy. Why must one be a "disaster" and the other a "genius". Flamboyant language doesn't improve the education you seem to think people lack. Why is Keating considered a reformer and lauded for his work in modernising Australian fiscal policy? Why did the same people consider the management of the Australian economy through the GFC to be worthy of the accolade but those same people didn't see fit to reward Costello? Is it because there is a big leftist conspiracy? Or is it because these two Australian Governments did the work?

Liverpool said:

On Turnbull you are correct. Not on the Republic, but that is probably the Irishman in me. The only people I ever hear supporting Turnbull are actually Labor voters.

KnightersRevenge said:
On Turnbull you are correct. Not on the Republic, but that is probably the Irishman in me. The only people I ever hear supporting Turnbull are actually Labor voters.

Which is why he should never lead the Libs.

KnightersRevenge said:
Only in so far as both statements came with more than a little hyperbole attached. No one suggested he was a disaster. Just that he isn't recognised internationally for being all that worthy. Why must one be a "disaster" and the other a "genius".

If you read Lambys22 last paragraph regarding Costello, then you would assume he was a disaster.
Not one positive note.
Like I said...if we are going to give Swan the plaudits for Australia surviving the GFC...then surely there has to be SOME credit given to our economy and surviving the Asian financial crisis of the 90's from a Government that were in power for so long?

Swan is like C.Scott at the Cats....the ALP were voted in in 2007, the same year the GFC kicked off...not dissimilar to Scott taking over from Bomber Thompson.
Yeah, Scott got plaudits for being a premiership coach and maybe putting some different things in place...but the groundwork had already been done by his predecessor.

KnightersRevenge said:

Latest Newspoll:

• Malcolm Turnbull on the other hand has a commanding 63-30 lead over Tony Abbott, including a 53-45 lead among Coalition supporters.

Even dyed-in-the-wool lib voters prefer Turnbull now.

Liverpool said:
If you read Lambys22 last paragraph regarding Costello, then you would assume he was a disaster.
Not one positive note.
Like I said...if we are going to give Swan the plaudits for Australia surviving the GFC...then surely there has to be SOME credit given to our economy and surviving the Asian financial crisis of the 90's from a Government that were in power for so long?

Swan is like C.Scott at the Cats....the ALP were voted in in 2007, the same year the GFC kicked off...not dissimilar to Scott taking over from Bomber Thompson.
Yeah, Scott got plaudits for being a premiership coach and maybe putting some different things in place...but the groundwork had already been done by his predecessor.
That is one way to look at it. Another is that they sold off assets (including the dumbest gold sale in history-selling 2/3rds of our gold reserve at the bottom of the market, you think I should clap that?) and banked surpluses. Not rocket surgery, and certainly not what I want from my government. My taxes are not savings. They are to be spent on schools, hospitals, housing....etc.

U2Tigers said:
god help this country.

I think the people are sick of waiting fore god and have taken it into their own hands to let the Libs know that they can take over the running of the country in a canter if they just change leader.

KnightersRevenge said:
That is one way to look at it. Another is that they sold off assets (including the dumbest gold sale in history-selling 2/3rds of our gold reserve at the bottom of the market, you think I should clap that?) and banked surpluses. Not rocket surgery, and certainly not what I want from my government. My taxes are not savings. They are to be spent on schools, hospitals, housing....etc.

Taxes are not savings?
Why should it all be spent on infrastructures like hospitals, housing, and schools?
To me, the Government finances should be run not unlike any person or family run their own banking.

Most people have their everyday items, we also have money to splurge on things or upgrade things, and we also have money tucked away for a rainy day or if something out of the ordinary hits.
In the case of Australia...maybe a natural disaster? a war? or a stimulus package? ;)
Putting all your eggs in the "infrastructure basket" with no savings would be economic irresponsibility...but then again, we are talking about the ALP here.

Baloo said:
I think the people are sick of waiting fore god and have taken it into their own hands to let the Libs know that they can take over the running of the country in a canter if they just change leader.

I think thats more on the money, Baloo.
I'm not convinced by Abbott either but if it came down to Gillard/ALP and Abbott...I'm going with Abbott.
I also don't buy the "he'll lead us back into the 1950s and 1960s era" with his philosophies....funny thing is, a lot of people from these eras think it was the best time to be an Australian.

Even though Turnbull is popular with certain people, I feel that to make his mark as the PM, he would make us a republic.
That goes against my philosophy and therefore it would be difficult to vote with someone like Turnbull against Gillard :help

Hopefully, if the Libs do decide to change leadership, they go with someone else...maybe RemoteTiger's view on Joe Hockey might be worth a revisit?

Baloo said:
Unless they really like Tony and he is actually inflating public opinion. Perhaps a change of leader would actually see their stocks plummet?

KnightersRevenge said:
Unless they really like Tony and he is actually inflating public opinion. Perhaps a change of leader would actually see their stocks plummet?

I'm not sure how any rational person can like the thought of Tony Abbot as our PM. Even Livers says he doesn't like the idea of it, but for him it's not as a bad an option as keeping the incumbent. I'm on the other side of the fence, given the option of the two now, I'd always choose Gillard as long as Abbot is the only alternative.

Baloo said:
I'm not sure how any rational person can like the thought of Tony Abbot as our PM. Even Livers says he doesn't like the idea of it, but for him it's not as a bad an option as keeping the incumbent. I'm on the other side of the fence, given the option of the two now, I'd always choose Gillard as long as Abbot is the only alternative.

as a leftie who still thinks labour can win the next election, the worst thing that can happen is for abbott to be replaced as libs leader. but it's a double edged sword, because imagine if he does win? :nailbiting

same scenario with carlton really... as much as we enjoyed all the trouble at carlton this year and revelled in the sacking of their coach, it would have been better if ratten stayed as coach to deny matlhouse the job (and the higher likelihood of a premiership in the coming years).

Baloo said:

Me neither, but then I remember a much younger version of myself being sure my world collapse the night John Howard beat Paul Keating. Rational thought often doesn't win out.