Prime Minister Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prime Minister Poll

Would you like this man to be our next Prime Minister?

• No

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • A cheese sandwich would be a better option

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
U2Tigers said:
Just on this gaffe by Abbot.

Whats the bigger topic here.

1. A prime minister meeting with a foreign president over an important issue for both countries; or

2. An opposition leader making a blunder on where the PM should meet the president(which she may not be doing in NY anyway)

1. Why does that have to be this week when there is something else on the agenda? They aren't mutually exclusive are they?

2. It's more than that. Tony's vitriol and negativity prevents him from being informed and putting across a rational argument. Nothing to offer himself so he sits back taking pot shots without bothering about the facts.

Liverpool said:
Typical article from Grattan and not surprised by who posted it on here either.

Haha very predictable. Abbott supplies the burly to cast out and the fish bite.

Liverpool said:
yeah, that coming from the Julia "no carbon tax under the government I lead" Gillard fans is laughable...the same fans who voted for Kevin "climate change is the greatest moral challenge of our time" Rudd, who decided against a carbon tax :-X

Good comeback Livers. Nothing to say on the topic in regard to Abbott's gaffe so bring in the red herrings.

U2Tigers said:
my point isn't if she is or isn't meeting him so much, and to answer no I don't know myself.

The point that is striking me, is that the focus is now on the opposition leaders gaffe, rather then an important meeting over an important issue that needs to take place.

If she is, then that just makes Abbot seem even more ill informed/silly. If she isn't then an important issue is now being lost due to his gaffe.

A mistake of his own making for sure.

Of course the point is Abbott's gaffe. He brought up the issue. He has no idea if she is meeting with SBY or not as he didn't even realise is in NY. If he's sure that Gillard has no plans to meet SBY then his point may have some merit but in classic Abbott fashion we, the public, have no idea if Abbott knows what he is implying is true or not. As a viable alternative Prime Minister he's making a fool of himself.

You missed this question U2

As a military man, how do you feel about Australia trying to get a seat on the Security Council. Do you see it as a $40Million Bronze medal* too ?

This for me is more the point about a meeting with SBY as it's the main reason Gillard is in NY.

rosy23 said:
1. Why does that have to be this week when there is something else on the agenda? They aren't mutually exclusive are they?

2. It's more than that. Tony's vitriol and negativity prevents him from being informed and putting across a rational argument. Nothing to offer himself so he sits back taking pot shots without bothering about the facts.

I am not saying which is more of a priority - To get a seat on the Security Council or speaking with the Indonesian President, thats not my point.

If you read my posts, I am more amazed that the Gaffe is a bigger issue then a serious national issue, that deserves debate.

jb03 said:
Depends if you are a Labor or Liberal voter.

Not really. I badly want to vote for Liberal, but I cannot bring myself to vote for Abbott as Prime Minister of Australia.

Baloo said:
Of course the point is Abbott's gaffe. He brought up the issue. He has no idea if she is meeting with SBY or not as he didn't even realise is in NY. If he's sure that Gillard has no plans to meet SBY then his point may have some merit but in classic Abbott fashion we, the public, have no idea if Abbott knows what he is implying is true or not. As a viable alternative Prime Minister he's making a fool of himself.

You missed this question U2

This for me is more the point about a meeting with SBY as it's the main reason Gillard is in NY.

TBH - I need to know more. I do know its only a temporary seat, how long is it for?

Is there any real benifit to Australia to be on it, rather then a sense of power. There probably is, but I don't know enough about it.

Do I think border security is a big issue, as stated on this thread and other threads by me, its obvious I do think it is.

Which is the more important issue (security council or border security)to be dealt with right now, I don't know to be honest. but thats not the point of what i have posted.

U2Tigers said:
TBH - I need to know more. I do know its only a temporary seat, how long is it for?

Is there any real benifit to Australia to be on it, rather then a sense of power. There probably is, but I don't know enough about it.

Do I think border security is a big issue, as stated on this thread and other threads by me, its obvious I do think it is.

Which is the more important issue (security council or border security)to be dealt with right now, I don't know to be honest. but thats not the point of what i have posted.

It is the point you have posted though.

You're saying she should be meeting SBY, in an effort to divert away from Abbott's gaffe, but now you're saying you're not sure if the Security Council gig is more important. So as far as we mug punters know, what she's doing now could be more important for Australia's security. Shouldn't she be given the benefit of the doubt, especially when SBY is in New York with her ?

In an ideal world we'd have a vcredible opposition who could let us know if they think it's just a waste of time but unfortunately we certainly can't take Abbott's word for what should be more important because he's proven he fired off without knowing any facts.

Baloo said:
It is the point you have posted though.

You're saying she should be meeting SBY, in an effort to divert away from Abbott's gaffe, but now you're saying you're not sure if the Security Council gig is more important. So as far as we mug punters know, what she's doing now could be more important for Australia's security. Shouldn't she be given the benefit of the doubt, especially when SBY is in New York with her ?

In an ideal world we'd have a vcredible opposition who could let us know if they think it's just a waste of time but unfortunately we certainly can't take Abbott's word for what should be more important because he's proven he fired off without knowing any facts.

its not really my point (its just the issue subject)

my point can be about any Gaffe by a politician being the bigger issue then any (pick a serious policy subject and insert). frustrating that the real issues of policy get lost behind an individuals mistakes.

U2Tigers said:
If you read my posts, I am more amazed that the Gaffe is a bigger issue then a serious national issue, that deserves debate.

what is the serious national issue that needs to be debated?

Brodders17 said:
to me the bigger point is the rubbish that continually comes out of Abbott's mouth. if this was a once off it wouldnt matter, but he has a habit of saying things without thinking much about them. not an ideal trait for a prospective PM.

and long may it continue

U2Tigers said:
its not really my point (its just the issue subject)

my point can be about any Gaffe by a politician being the bigger issue then any (pick a serious policy subject and insert). frustrating that the real issues of policy get lost behind an individuals mistakes.

When the politician in question is the Prime Minister, or the alternate Prime Minister, then the amount and type of gaffes are an important issue. We expect them to represent us on an international stage without being ridiculed.

Having someone like Abbott who has history of shooting off his mouth before thinking, actually went to the point of telling us we shouldn't believe everything he says in a heated debate, would be a serious issue for Australia.

I guess Abbott could go back to his alternative of shooting his mouth off without thinking, which is the head bob.

[youtube]UUdPabnXUNA[/youtube]

Baloo said:
When the politician in question is the Prime Minister, or the alternate Prime Minister, then the amount and type of gaffes are an important issue. We expect them to represent us on an international stage without being ridiculed.

Having someone like Abbott who has history of shooting off his mouth before thinking, actually went to the point of telling us we shouldn't believe everything he says in a heated debate, would be a serious issue for Australia.

I guess Abbott could go back to his alternative of shooting his mouth off without thinking, which is the head bob.

[youtube]UUdPabnXUNA[/youtube]

LOL, hard to argue.

a shame though isn't. it would be nice that policy was the debate not politician.

sad days.

U2Tigers said:
LOL, hard to argue.

a shame though isn't. it would be nice that policy was the debate not politician.

sad days.

Agree. It would be nice to see real policy debate.

U2Tigers said:
edit - apologies Brodders, thought it was you who posted some posts, but it was another poster.

i missed what you wrote. unfortunately. ;D

but yes i have noticed another poster is trying to ride the coattails of my respected name by producing one very similar.

U2Tigers said:

Yet again you're free to put things up for discussion yourself. What is the serious issue? I like the capital G on Gaffe. It certainly was a big one. :hihi

jb03 said:
Depends if you are a Labor or Liberal voter.

so a labor voter will say 'typical Abbott, talking without thinking, ignoring facts etc' and question whether this is good enough for the leader of the Liberal party.

what exactly will a liberal voter say?

For me it doesn't matter whether Julia is meeting SBY in NY or not. I don't believe she is actually. The seat on the Security Council is why she went there, and that's what she should focus on, with a bit of bilateral business on the side.

The leader of the Opposition does not mandate when two heads of state should meet and what they should discuss. In any case, it's all part of the Mad Monk's "Stop the Boats" mantra and he can't expect the whole world and international diplomacy to revolve around this issue on a daily basis.