pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

Jon Ralph was there and tweeted regularly during the game FWIW:

'Already a great intercept and goal from Oleg Markov, the pole vaulters son, at Tigers intraclub. Nice start'

'Rioli coming into the game with some nice touches in the third term. A hit-up lead, a nice gather off the deck'

'Mabior Chol with a huge hanger early in the game. A great looking running stride. A loper.'

'Dusty with a big fend off against Menadue and now easing into the game'

'Now Jack Riewoldt grabbing Kamdyn McIntosh by the collar and rag dolling him. Few spotfires here at Punt Road'

'Rioli got better, young ruck Soldo impressive, Lennon solid & over glandular fever. Jack, Dusty & Rance all good'

TJsFurrow said:
Jon Ralph was there and tweeted regularly during the game FWIW:

'Already a great intercept and goal from Oleg Markov, the pole vaulters son, at Tigers intraclub. Nice start'

'Rioli coming into the game with some nice touches in the third term. A hit-up lead, a nice gather off the deck'

'Mabior Chol with a huge hanger early in the game. A great looking running stride. A loper.'

'Dusty with a big fend off against Menadue and now easing into the game'

'Now Jack Riewoldt grabbing Kamdyn McIntosh by the collar and rag dolling him. Few spotfires here at Punt Road'

'Rioli got better, young ruck Soldo impressive, Lennon solid & over glandular fever. Jack, Dusty & Rance all good'

I need a cold spoon.

Tigers of Old said:
I went down for a look.
Hot morning for footy, seemed like they played about 3/4s with breaks in between.
It was a fiercely contested hit out between the blacks and yellow squads.
The yellow side looked as if it had the more established older players where as the blacks had a younger makeup.
Not that you can take much from it but the end result was 68 to the black side to 50 to the yellows.
Players that really impressed me for the blacks were their midfield in Lloyd, Conca, Miles, B Ellis & Townsend. Broad pretty good on Jack too. Soldo and Chol (who took another impressive mark) both spent time I the ruck as did Vickery, Griff McBean. Beanie also took a contested mark and sobbed it from near 50 which was pleasing.
Townsend kicked 2 tagged Cotchin hard for most of the game. He will play plenty going by today.
Marcon & Lennon showed plenty in the 2nd half. They didn't hold much back. Dusty (yellows) went off with a head knock. Cotchin & Miles had a wrestle and Jack & Kam also got upset with each other towards the end.
Skills were ok. Both teams missed a lot of easy shots on goal.
Any other specifics just ask.
how did Cotch cope with the tagging? does it seem Townsend will be in a tagging role for us?
i am assuming Jack/KMac were on diff teams?
how did Rioli & the other draftees go? dito C.Ellis & the '14 draftees like Butler/short etc?

Thanks for the reports and links all. Ralph's pics of Chol and Rioli on twitter show these boys have done some work during the preseason. Chol has started to fill out nicely.

Chol
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca-NdZRUUAAa-6J.jpg:large

Rioli
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca-NE6PUYAIgEVN.jpg:large

I can't get enough tidbits this time of year.

Chol's grab

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/cholleap.jpg

Thanks ToO

I haven't been a big Lloyd fan, however talking to a few of the players the other night, they talked him up an he looks a hell of a lot fitter . No doubt Townsend will get an opportunity early on, I like what I've seen

Thanks for the reports guys. :)
Wonder if we'll do our regular practice match against the Hawks this year.

CC TIGER said:
Thanks ToO

I haven't been a big Lloyd fan, however talking to a few of the players the other night, they talked him up an he looks a hell of a lot fitter . No doubt Townsend will get an opportunity early on, I like what I've seen

Cheers Captain Caveman.
Lloyd was the player next to Townsend that impressed me most of guys on the fringe.
Sam looks about twice as fit as this time last year. Was leaping and bounding everywhere and literally sprinting to the bench in between breaks despite the heat.
Looks uber hungry.

TJsFurrow said:
Chaplin playing forward is interesting. Conca at half-back a bit of a surprise too.
great news about Chaplin. Surely this means that astbury is first choice CHB and Chaplin has no place back there for us this year...
Wonder where Elton played??

My 2 cents

Drummond, Lids, Yarran, Hampson didn't play and did mostly sprint/agility work prior to the game. Moore also didn't play but was boundary umpire. Batchelor only played a half but that was all he needed to towel up Vickery.

No sign of reece Mckenzie at all which is twice in 3 weeks I've been to training and he wasn't sighted.

The only major positional changes I noticed were Chaplin forward and Conca in the back 6 and doing kick ins (Houli for the other team).

The only injuries I saw were Houli hurting his ankle but he came back on so couldn't have been too bad and Dusty tried to crunch Soldo in a big tackle and came off second best. He didn't play after that but was still sighted on the boundary, just shook him up a bit.

Hard to gauge alot from the game in terms of elite senior players as some look as though they just take over when they need to (Cotch) and others go 100% all the time (Jack and Tross). Miles picked up from where he left off and Shedwards looked slick, dangerous and set for a big year.

I thought Towsend was good and can see him pushing for a spot round 1. Clearances, tackles and was dangerous resting deep forward.
Conca got alot of it in the back half and overall was good too. Worked well with Flossy. Those guys along with Miles, Lambert, McIntosh, Lloyd, BEllis were the reason the 'Blacks' dominated the first quarter.

Overall I thought there was a noticeable lift in forward pressure.

A couple of times players streaming through the middle had no one to kick to as everyone had flooded back.

Griff, vickery and Bean hardly touched it. Griff was the main ruck against Ivvy.

Comments on a few fringe/new players...

CEllis didn't stand out.
Rioli, looked dangerous early but didn't get much of it.
Short has taken another step and looks like he could get a game during the year if injuries strike.
Chol, took a big pack mark, good forward pressure. Raw but lots to work with.
I'll cut Lennon some slack because of his Glandular fever but he didn't get much of it.
Lloyd was always dangerous, taking marks, roaming half forward, liked his effort.
K.Mcintosh, carried on running hard and getting the ball like last year, ditto BEllis.
Markov got involved a bit as a half forward, liked what I saw.
Menadue was involved in a lot of the slick ball movement early on. Faded a bit but I liked what I saw, just flies across the turf.
George was okay at half back, always looking to run and carry, is a good size too.
McBean hardly saw it, took a mark and goal but that was about it. Still looks to be growing into his body to me.
Butler played mainly half forward, was dangerous without having much impact, is quick and ran down Rioli.

Any questions welcome.

Tigers of Old said:
Cheers Captain Caveman.
Lloyd was the player next to Townsend that impressed me most of guys on the fringe.
Sam looks about twice as fit as this time last year. Was leaping and bounding everywhere and literally sprinting to the bench in between breaks despite the heat.
Looks uber hungry.

That's how i saw it too.

Ripplestick said:
That's how i saw it too.

Cheers Ripple agree with your post too. Astbury did ok today as well I thought.
Was very interesting to see Chappy playing forward.
Perhaps being gently pried out of defence like Morro was? BTW Morris barely touched it again today.