pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

The Mole said:
Dropped in to training for a quick look this morning and one of the standouts was Short. Heard one of the coaches talking to I think a player agent and he was gushing over Shorty. Said he has improved his fitness greatly and is a chance to get midfield time this year (I assume in the reserves). Mentioned another player - Menadue I think - who has had an injury but now OK and working at building strength and improving conditioning now.
I watched a couple of drills (named Batchelor and Vlastuin drills up on the scoreboard) and then a short match simulation. It was a bit difficult for my old eyes to make out some of the players but I did notice short. Also Kamdyn, Vlastuin, Houli were very good with hard running and good disposal, Dusty was also good. Couldn't work out who Soldo was for a while - he was moving well but he is now sooo skinny. Made Beanie look big.
Chol was playing CHF in a drill and looked good. Moves very well (agile) and is a good mark and kick. Looks very natural. No one will mark over the top of him - his leap is sensational!
Didn't see Yarran at all and Elton was running laps as was Drummond. Noticed some left footer kick the ball exquisitely and of course it turned out to be CEllis.
Not too much other than that to say.

You must have been looking at a different player as Soldo is over 100kg. Could it have been one of the Vfl players?

Tone Greenberg retweeted this pic of Soldo. If it's him he's certainly slimmed down.

Here's a link to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/sjhross/status/682754498758983680

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 79
sausage_meat69 said:
Tone Greenberg retweeted this pic of Soldo. If it's him he's certainly slimmed down.

Here's a link to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/sjhross/status/682754498758983680
It's him. He's lost a lot of weight and is now moving across the ground much better.

Popped into training Friday. It was long and involved. There seems to be a premium on sprinting into position THEN resting ingrained by the players sprinting back to the drinks area after every exercise then resting before attacking the next exercise as a group with vigor. Loved the new scoreboard showing the next exercise and the countdown clock for each exercise.

I was only interested in our 1-2 year players.

Rioli was ok. During game simulation he was always found out. Had the right intentions but whether it was by chance the ball ended up where he wasn't or whether he is still learning the forward patterns he still has a lot to learn. Jack was always in the right spot whether it was up the ground or near goals so I hope Daniel is in his ear about where and when to move as Jack makes it look soooo damn easy! Daniel has the astute nickname of.....wait for it.... Daniel.

I love the way Oleg moves. Supremely balanced runner across the ground. I think he will fill out nice too. Good hands, good kick, very confident too. They call him Lego.

The Heartbreak Kid or Broady. Skinny pins. A good user of the ball. He runs onto the ball at pace. I recall him saying somewhere that he had worked on his offensive game last year which was clearly evident at training. Could be a great pickup for a deep pick.

Andrew Moore. Cant work out if he is fast or slow twitch. Very heavy running style ala Stephen Jurica type yet he still can put in a few quick steps to get himself out of trouble. Big solid lump of a lad who will take a lot of moving in and around the ball. I'm going with slow twitch which is ok for a bulldozer type like him.

Didn't see much of Townsend cause I didn't pick him out til late in the piece. He's bigger than what I thought he would be but not as bulky as Moore and a tad shorter. Will be the first to look for next time. They call him JT.

Marbior Chol. Forrest was right about life being like a box of Chocolates. The same could be said about Marbior Chol. His football is exceptionally clean. During match sim he was put up against Soldo in the ruck and eventually worked out he needed to get front position. When he did he had such a deft 360 degree tap. Will be one to watch in a few years.

Callum Moore is an excitement machine...just needs some lubrication. Has everything, speed, height rah rah rah but its just that odd shank every now and again. Cut that out and we have a serious player!

I kept a close eye on Adam Marcon cause his style of football reminded me of a young Axel. He trains like Axel did, 101% focussed! He executed a sublime pickup at full tilt and delivered it on the tit. He's one of those nuggety types that are hard to grab. Reminds me of a mini Ben Grimm!!! Could really surprise.

The 2nd yearies

Corey Ellis = Silk.

Menadue seemed to be held back by general soreness as he wasn't his usual zipzip self.

Surpringly Butler played a midfield role during match sim. This is a good move IMO. Is super quick off the mark.

Drummond ran laps with Hampson.

I don't see Shorty like other people do. For all his positives he still has a very low tank. Always seems to be struggling when running. Was overtaken on a wing during match sim. Can't remember who it was but it did draw my attention because it was someone I never thought would over take him.

George was great. IMO his decision making and kicking technique are his main drawbacks and he seems to have improved those in this particular session. Was busy around the ball. Love his zip and evasive abilities.

Ivan Soldo has improved again. Its all you could ask.

Other offerings:

Lambert looks like a beast! I've had him just missing the 22 cut but not now. He is super clean and has the all skills to pay the bills.

Maric always handballing off. Good boy EEEvan :hihi

Cotchin made two turnovers in a row with short little dinky kicks. I wish he would lift his head more. Funny thing was Martin kicked it long towards goal and found his forward...GOAL. GO LONG COTCH!!!

I'm not their biggest fans but Houli and Grigga did a few good things too.

Astbury looks in top nick. Moving freely and defended well all day.

Concs and Vloss are two of the same in that I can't make head or tail of. Both do their job. No more. No less. Is this a positive? Hell yeah, just an underwhelming one thats all :angel: I actually saw Conca running around the MCG carpark on his own when I left.

Rancey has turned into a *smile*ing BEAST!!! he looks bigger, faster, stronger like Steve Austin!!!! Lee Majors or Stone Cold take your pick.

Its always hard to be fair when doing Preseaon reviews as the heavy loading plays havoc on all the players most of all the young guys. I could clearly see that with Menadue. No fault of player or coach just the necessary evil that preseasons are renown for.

blx said:
Cotchin made two turnovers in a row with short little dinky kicks. I wish he would lift his head more. Funny thing was Martin kicked it long towards goal and found his forward...GOAL. GO LONG COTCH!!!

Still my main gripe on Chimp. Stop hunching the back!! It might have worked before, but not anymore under pressure.

Nice wrap up blx. Thanks. Love hearing about Chol, he clearly thinks about the game and works his way around things, combine that with his natural athleticism and we've got something that could be very special. On Cotch and his kicking, he's got a good long kick and it's beyond me why he doesn't use it more often.

Thanks blx

May I ask if you could elaborate on what saw of Butler? Has some great tools and sems to have spent a lot of time in the gym going by his body shape.

Thanks blx .

Appreciate it. Love reading about the new kids. Adds exciting, anticipation and little 'bets' on who will debut !

Few little concerns there but we still have some time before the season starts proper.

I read somewhere about Yarran but I couldn't recall if he is injured or on a modified program? Being held back or something else?

Blx did you see Lennon at all?

Thanks blx, greatly appreciated. In some of the training photos Griffiths looks to have added a bit of bulk, would that be correct?

Answering my own question: Just read Friday's Herald Sun Richmond training session article saying that Chris Yarran was a notable absentee due to illness but the club confident he should be back on deck quickly. Typical club spin, that Blue's detox is taking much longer than we all hoped ;D

Blues detoxing trials have been successful in the past

treatment_aclockworkorange.jpg

Thanks blx

Barring any key injuries , I reckon the big key to this seasons success is how many of the players with potential can jump up and demand a spot in the 22