pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

CarnTheTiges said:
Fletcher never looked like he had much muscle, but he was quite strong. I am looking forward to seeing this Chol kid play, though.
I think he will play all year in the Vfl no need to rush the kid
He is very skinny hopefully he can beef up , I think he might be still growing upwards

smokin joe said:
I think he will play all year in the Vfl no need to rush the kid
He is very skinny hopefully he can beef up , I think he might be still growing upwards
Yep, fully agree. Definitely a project player and another inch or so of growth would be excellent. The good thing is we are well stocked with 200cm talls so there is no rush, he has plenty of time to develop.

This kid is a very exciting prospect. Yes, it might be another year or so before he starts to have an impact. We need to ensure that he likes living in Melbourne and loves the club.

I think we must have the right support structures in place because we don't seem to lose too many players to other clubs or the go home factor. We just now need to get better at attracting the "Big Fish" to Tigerland.

Rancey18 said:
I think one of him or Townsend will play the majority of the season in the 1s, if not both.

This is one of The interesting sub-plots of 2016: whether Moore and Townsend nail down positions and if so, who goes out.

21 guys available from the elimination final.
Assume Newman out, Yarran in.

So there's Moore and Townsend.

Lloyd Lennon and probably Astbury need to make their move.
Morris and Hampson are likely to be injury replacements.
Elton and McBean need to take that next step.

And the new guys

Broad marcon
C Ellis menadue butler Drummond
Mckenzie short Castagna soldo
Chol Rioli c Moore Markov

I believe C Ellis will play 20+ games if injury free.
Menadue and Drummond will play AFL from time to time.
Rioli will play an AFL game and might never get on a VFL ground again.
The others are wait and see.

DirtyDogTiger said:
This is one of The interesting sub-plots of 2016: whether Moore and Townsend nail down positions and if so, who goes out.

I believe C Ellis will play 20+ games if injury free.
Menadue and Drummond will play AFL from time to time.
Rioli will play an AFL game and might never get on a VFL ground again.
The others are wait and see.

Good post DDT. So I went back to the replay to see what the squad was that played in last year’s EF. Here it is (as listed – they didn’t line up this way – but that’s not really the point here):

Newy Batch Chappie
Houli Vlaus Rance
Ellis Cotch McIntosh
Martin Griffo Edwards
Jack Lids Vickery
Maric Miles Hunt
Grimes Grigg Lambert Conca

Out of that side, from my perspective there are a minimum of 8 places up for rotation. So if you look at the number of games that represents and the options available per position – it doesn’t leave a lot of opportunity for the introduction of newbies (injury opportunities aside):

Mids: Hunt Grigg Lambert Conca (88 total reg season games) – Townsend Moore Ellis Drummond and perhaps Marcon. That’s an average of 11 games per player if equally divided (Marcon excluded)

FWDS: Griffo (22 games) - Lloyd Lennon McBean Rioli Butler. That’s an average of 3.6 games each.

Backs: Batch Newy Chappie (66 games) – Elton Morris Astbury Yarran Menadue Broad. 7.3 games per player.

This meager analysis demonstrates several things to me. That to get the right number of games into the right players there needs to be carefully considered strategy in place. Without it we’ll end up with players like C.Ellis, Lennon and Menadue eking out games over the next 2-3 years and not developing as necessary. Some fast tracking of the top talent is still required.

A horses for courses approach would also be a sensible approach. When we play a big midfield we slip in Townsend and Moore. When we play a fast one – in go Drummond and Hunt. That sort of thing. We now have the versatility in the list to do this.

The log jam at forward.

The last thing this summary tells me is how thin our midfield remains.

It would be nice to get a smidgin of info from the club on the players pre-season training now that they are back from their xmas, new year break.

No doubt info is lacking at the moment. I did see an advertisement for a digital leader position (Stig) at the club..

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/93863292?trk=vsrp_jobs_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId:3322172631450397122457,VSRPtargetId:93863292,VSRPcmpt:primary

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt info is lacking at the moment. I did see an advertisement for a digital leader position (Stig) at the club..

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/93863292?trk=vsrp_jobs_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId:3322172631450397122457,VSRPtargetId:93863292,VSRPcmpt:primary

By the read of that its AC's job. Different team for talking tigers perhaps?

Dropped in to training for a quick look this morning and one of the standouts was Short. Heard one of the coaches talking to I think a player agent and he was gushing over Shorty. Said he has improved his fitness greatly and is a chance to get midfield time this year (I assume in the reserves). Mentioned another player - Menadue I think - who has had an injury but now OK and working at building strength and improving conditioning now.
I watched a couple of drills (named Batchelor and Vlastuin drills up on the scoreboard) and then a short match simulation. It was a bit difficult for my old eyes to make out some of the players but I did notice short. Also Kamdyn, Vlastuin, Houli were very good with hard running and good disposal, Dusty was also good. Couldn't work out who Soldo was for a while - he was moving well but he is now sooo skinny. Made Beanie look big.
Chol was playing CHF in a drill and looked good. Moves very well (agile) and is a good mark and kick. Looks very natural. No one will mark over the top of him - his leap is sensational!
Didn't see Yarran at all and Elton was running laps as was Drummond. Noticed some left footer kick the ball exquisitely and of course it turned out to be CEllis.
Not too much other than that to say.

The Mole said:
Chol was playing CHF in a drill and looked good. Moves very well (agile) and is a good mark and kick. Looks very natural. No one will mark over the top of him - his leap is sensational!

Good report Mole.

MC is getting me excited... ;D

I may be wrong, but it seems RFC has gone quiet on the media/publicity front since the Dustin Martin episode and probably will remain so until it announces whatever penalties are to be sanctioned.

The Mole said:
Dropped in to training for a quick look this morning and one of the standouts was Short. Heard one of the coaches talking to I think a player agent and he was gushing over Shorty. Said he has improved his fitness greatly and is a chance to get midfield time this year (I assume in the reserves). Mentioned another player - Menadue I think - who has had an injury but now OK and working at building strength and improving conditioning now.
I watched a couple of drills (named Batchelor and Vlastuin drills up on the scoreboard) and then a short match simulation. It was a bit difficult for my old eyes to make out some of the players but I did notice short. Also Kamdyn, Vlastuin, Houli were very good with hard running and good disposal, Dusty was also good. Couldn't work out who Soldo was for a while - he was moving well but he is now sooo skinny. Made Beanie look big.
Didn't see Yarran at all and Elton was running laps as was Drummond. Noticed some left footer kick the ball exquisitely and of course it turned out to be CEllis.
Not too much other than that to say.

Thanks for the report, pleased to hear that Short is looking good, i reckon he could be a smokey this season.

Bullarto Tiger said:
I may be wrong, but it seems RFC has gone quiet on the media/publicity front since the Dustin Martin episode and probably will remain so until it announces whatever penalties are to be sanctioned.

Isn't the club itself i.e. admin, marketing etc closed till the 11th of Jan.

Bullarto Tiger said:
going under the radar is a good way to go about it, of course we'd like a full run down on how each Player is going daily but i like that they are getting on with it quietly

Bullarto Tiger said:

Did last year also from memory - focus is very much internal and we don't need the pick me up "hope" stories that clubs like carlton, Melbourne etc need at this time of year.

year of the tiger said:
Did last year also from memory - focus is very much internal and we don't need the pick me up "hope" stories that clubs like carlton, Melbourne etc need at this time of year.
Like today's HUN story on Carltons "reset"?