pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

Tigers of Old said:
Just on goal kicking..the other two aside from Griff who miss far too many chances in front of goal are BEllis and Cotch.
For top shelf mids they pretty much crap themselves when lining up for goal these days. Both have the genuine yips in front of the big sticks. Either that or they simply don't have the skill to be able to execute. It's absolutely painful to watch and must be addressed..
Yep, and just like Griff, Chimpa misses the same way every time. Tries to steer it and pushes it right. Not good enough. Kick the goal.

Tigers of Old said:
Just on goal kicking..the other two aside from Griff who miss far too many chances in front of goal are BEllis and Cotch.
For top shelf mids they pretty much crap themselves when lining up for goal these days. Both have the genuine yips in front of the big sticks. Either that or they simply don't have the skill to be able to execute. It's absolutely painful to watch and must be addressed..
i have also noticed how few times a mid runs into 50 & slots it on the run, we always look to dish off for a set shot....

spook said:
Yep, and just like Griff, Chimpa misses the same way every time. Tries to steer it and pushes it right. Not good enough. Kick the goal.

I don't think Cotchin has genuinely kicked through a set shot in a couple of years. Always tries to guide it.

Griff (from my amateur perspective) seems to lean back a bit on his set shots. This can cause all sorts of problems.

I hate to sound like Jason Dunstall but how bloody hard is it to have a routine, stick to it and kick through the bloody ball. Baffling.

St Kevin said:
I don't think Cotchin has genuinely kicked through a set shot in a couple of years. Always tries to guide it.

Griff (from my amateur perspective) seems to lean back a bit on his set shots. This can cause all sorts of problems.

I hate to sound like Jason Dunstall but how bloody hard is it to have a routine, stick to it and kick through the bloody ball. Baffling.

Just on that, ive heard over the last few years from the commentators that goal kicking is still the one facet that really hasnt improved over the years, obviously stamina, speed, general fitness, marking has but goal kicking hasnt. I guess its somewhat hard to guage even with stats when they used the drop kick for most of the years early-mid 70s (from memory and vision as i was very young then -just born)..

Griff is in so many minds when he kicks for goal, (kick long, kick short, kick low, kick high, walk too close to the mark, kick off one step, change ball drop, don't lean back) that he should just change his name to Cybill!

spook said:

It's certainly deflating when it happens. I have no confidence whatsoever when he takes a set shot. How our skipper so rarely kicks them is poor.

Tigers of Old said:
It's certainly deflating when it happens. I have no confidence whatsoever when he takes a set shot. How our skipper so rarely kicks them is poor.

Great player but im much the same, i would rather have it in Grimes or Batch hands then skip... He tends to crumb goals well and also longer distances but a set shot 30-40 he as ppl have said guides it and misses, agree no confidence for me when he lines up, you can almost see him shitting himself, snowball effect i guess!

lamb22 said:
Griff is in so many minds when he kicks for goal, (kick long, kick short, kick low, kick high, walk too close to the mark, kick off one step, change ball drop, don't lean back) that he should just change his name to Cybill!

Any chance of our coaching gurus down at the club to teach this dude not to kick so close to the mark over the pre season?
No?
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Just read this on BF:

Moment of the scratchie... Dusty tried to put a don't argue on Mabior Chol. Chol held on and dragged Dusty down. Dusty didn't like it and dragged Chol down with him and a bit of push and shove on the ground briefly. Bit of feeling there from both guys... Great work from the young fella.

Impressive!

I recall JON doing something similar when i first saw him at training for the first time.

It wasn't fogging but a slick quick mine, Tambling to Lids to JON who shimmied and zipped his way towards kicking a goal.

You can imagine the excitement for all of us that witnessed it. We were in hysterics thinking of how unstoppable they were going to become... unfortunately history had other ideas :'(

blx said:
I recall JON doing something similar when i first saw him at training for the first time.

It wasn't fogging but a slick quick mine, Tambling to Lids to JON who shimmied and zipped his way towards kicking a goal.

You can imagine the excitement for all of us that witnessed it. We were in hysterics thinking of how unstoppable they were going to become... unfortunately history had other ideas :'(
Yep some of JONs movement an speed on the training track was sublime, however his kicking was generally woeful

lamb22 said:
Chopsy I use to think the same thing with his thoughts while kicking for goal, however as I've said when I had a chat with him , he told me how he simply concentrates on ball drop which is fine, except for when it doesn't work. People use to laugh at Matty Lloyds set shot routine, throwing the grass up even when in doors, bent leg an so on , bottom line he went through the same routine every single time and it worked. Best golfers in the world are like clock work with routine, once they have decided what shot is been hit, they'll have the same amount of steps to the ball, same step into address , same waggle, same time over the ball, same tempo, repeat repeat repeat , IMHO it's an area the AFL can improve

TigerForce said:
Just read this on BF:

Moment of the scratchie... Dusty tried to put a don't argue on Mabior Chol. Chol held on and dragged Dusty down. Dusty didn't like it and dragged Chol down with him and a bit of push and shove on the ground briefly. Bit of feeling there from both guys... Great work from the young fella.

Impressive!
I like Chol's attitude there. Good for Dusty, too.

TigerForce said:
Just read this on BF:

Impressive!

I saw in one of the training vids Rioli Jnr take someone down by grabbing their don't argue arm. It's a Cyril signature move that. I've seen him take down much larger opponents.

TigerForce said:
Just read this on BF:

Impressive!

Mabior's natural aggression will stand him in very good stead. Not intimidated & appears to take no sh!t from anyone. Vital in any talls makeup. 8-

Love it when the young recruits have enough spunk about them to dish it out to the more experienced players on the list. It's an attitude that must be fostered and promoted if this Club is to become successful

Tigers of Old said:
Mabior's natural aggression will stand him in very good stead. Not intimidated & appears to take no sh!t from anyone. Vital in any talls makeup. 8-
Yep. My interest in this kid is rising. He must some strong muscle on that skinny body to pull Dusty down. I can't wait for the VFL season.

TigerForce said:
Yep. My interest in this kid is rising. He must some strong muscle on that skinny body to pull Dusty down. I can't wait for the VFL season.
Fletcher never looked like he had much muscle, but he was quite strong. I am looking forward to seeing this Chol kid play, though.