pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

Training day 4 up north video is up.

Griffo trying to convince himself and us he'll be a marking beast this year.

Griff and Bean very similar size in the core in the vid although Griff has him around the chest and shoulders.

Beanie as always looks sharp in the tiny snippets.

Pre season is too long and the season is too short.

Lets cancel the Windies tests and get it on!!

lamb22 said:
Training day 4 up north video is up.

Griffo trying to convince himself and us he'll be a marking beast this year.

Griff and Bean very similar size in the core in the vid although Griff has him around the chest and shoulders.

Beanie as always looks sharp in the tiny snippets.

It's not so much Griff's marking that concerns me. He took a lot more in 2015 and is now much better at creating crumbs when he doesn't mark. For me, it's what he does when he gets it. His goalkicking was shocking in 2015 and his kicks forward from marks up the ground were not much better (it's ok booting it 60m forward if we have blokes up there to provide a marking option but too often it is a 1 on 3 in that scenario)

lamb22 said:

Agree with this. People complain season is too long and thats its tough on the players bodies, yet they train themselves into the ground for more than 4 months during summer.

Season should finish at the end of Oct and preseason start after new year.

Harry said:
Agree with this. People complain season is too long and thats its tough on the players bodies, yet they train themselves into the ground for more than 4 months during summer.

Season should finish at the end of Oct and preseason start after new year.
play each side twice then

Jonesracing82 said:
agree on Griff, Goal Kicking should be focus #1, 2, 3, 4 etc.....
Marking as well of course
I reckon his changed his grip on the ball , seems to have the ball a lot more vertical .

CC TIGER said:
I reckon his changed his grip on the ball , seems to have the ball a lot more vertical .
He needs hypnotherapy not a grip change. For such a good kick of the football the only thing it can be is mental imo.

Its good to see the players at this stage of the pre season. The one who stands out to me physically is Brandon Ellis, he looks like he has been chiselled out of rock.

Sintiger said:
He needs hypnotherapy not a grip change. For such a good kick of the football the only thing it can be is mental imo.
To start with he needs to extend his run up by a couple of metres. Ends up getting under his kicks too much in order to get it over the man on the mark.

Rancey18 said:
To start with he needs to extend his run up by a couple of metres. Ends up getting under his kicks too much in order to get it over the man on the mark.

Agree which is bazaar give the hoof on him!

But when he first started playing firsts, he never did this. He had a great natural kicking style and was very accurate, and confident, from any range. Missed very few from in close.
Someone has got to him; altered his style ... and stuffed him up. I've posted this before.

Definitely more mental than physical with Ben Griffiths. He's the ultimate tease with some great tools but questionable mental strength.
Bit sick of it actually. Time to show it or it's a case of never was.

Tigers of Old said:
Definitely more mental than physical with Ben Griffiths. He's the ultimate tease with some great tools but questionable mental strength.
Bit sick of it actually. Time to show it or it's a case of never was.

Yeah maybe.
If he got 15 games in a row he'd really give it a shake.
His best run of games is 6 (r19 - EF in 2014).

Sintiger said:
As I've said before BGs main thought and thing he works on when taking a set shot is ball drop, like the fact he works on the kiss theory, however something needs to change as his abysmal , considering his action, IMHO I'd throw the ball drop thoughts out the window as I'm guessing he gets too tight in his right hand and drops the ball poorly too often....hope I'm wrong but I'm convinced his just a tease and even when he does tease it's generally first quarter stuff and then the concentration goes out the window...just my thoughts

Adelaide poster on BF reckons Rioli was a standout in the running drills but looked a bit raw in the match sim.

Stylo said:
Adelaide poster on BF reckons Rioli was a standout in the running drills but looked a bit raw in the match sim.
Him and Markov look so skinny compared to the others. Ivan looks as big as ever, massive unit.

Just on goal kicking..the other two aside from Griff who miss far too many chances in front of goal are BEllis and Cotch.
For top shelf mids they pretty much crap themselves when lining up for goal these days. Both have the genuine yips in front of the big sticks. Either that or they simply don't have the skill to be able to execute. It's absolutely painful to watch and must be addressed..