Potential Father/Son thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Potential Father/Son thread

DirtyDogTiger said:
Ahhh the points system
This is the first time I've had to get my head around that

Only bean-counters can follow it all these days (or can be bothered). An essential step in the AFL corporatism process.

leon said:
Only bean-counters can follow it all these days (or can be bothered). An essential step in the AFL corporatism process.

Hey, what is wrong with counting beans? If they are there, someone needs to count them. I am not quite an Accountant but i do like counting my beans.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Ahhh the points system
This is the first time I've had to get my head around that

very simple process, Father Son & aCADEMY GET DISCOUNT OF 25%, might be 20 % now

say someone bids for NAISH @ pick 10 , that equals 1395 point take away the discount of 25% & that leaves 1046 point, we would then need to come up with those points , ie picks 36,54 & 64 = 823 so we would go into deficit of 223 points

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-21/new-bidding-system-introduced-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

taztiger4 said:
very simple process, Father Son & aCADEMY GET DISCOUNT OF 25%, might be 20 % now

say someone bids for NAISH @ pick 10 , that equals 1395 point take away the discount of 25% & that leaves 1046 point, we would then need to come up with those points , ie picks 36,54 & 64 = 823 so we would go into deficit of 223 points

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-21/new-bidding-system-introduced-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

I think we have 2 3rd round picks next year. Pretty sure we got GWS 3rd rounder as part of the lids trade

I dont watch a lot but i think it was GF day with my overseas pass on AFL live, i watched him in an entire game, the kid was so outside he was at Richmond station, got 5 or so touches at best...Bully and others would have seen him more, but nothing to get overly excited about from what i saw, get excited about our 2 first rounders :)

Tigertough1974 said:
I dont watch a lot but i think it was GF day with my overseas pass on AFL live, i watched him in an entire game, the kid was so outside he was at Richmond station, got 5 or so touches at best...Bully and others would have seen him more, but nothing to get overly excited about from what i saw, get excited about our 2 first rounders :)
I was at that game live and saw Naish play for the 1st time and was very disappointed. Hopefully it was an off day or he was carrying an injury. Would love to hear from brightsiders who have seen more of him play as to what attributes he brings and where in the draft order scouts would have him at this early stage, (if at all). Saying that if he is good I hope others don't rate him so we pick him up cheaper.

This has scouting reports from some other game Naish played this year

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/patrick-naish/

Ty Esler said:
This has scouting reports from some other game Naish played this year

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/patrick-naish/
Thanks Ty,
Extracted the below, so all Tiger eyes will be on his under 18 Championship performances in 2017. Good luck to the lad.

Patrick Naish
Outside Midfielder (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
15/01/1999 | 180cm | 67kg

Patrick Naish is the son of 161 game player Chris who played at both Richmond and Port Adelaide. Although Chris played for both clubs, Patrick only eligible for Richmond under the father-son rule. This year with high expectations on his shoulders, he has lived up to some of the hype from Tigers fans. Naish has played across half-back for most of the season for the Northern Knights, averaging 17 disposals. He is lively around the ball and provides a spark for his team going forward. At school football level, Naish has spent most of his time inside 50 using his speed and agility to get around his opponent. Naish has also worked on his contested ball winning, when rotating onto the ball. He is lightly framed and can at stages be pushed around in the contest, but his best positions appears likely to be on the outside. Richmond fans should be excited by what Naish brings and will be one that Tiger fans will watch carefully in the 2017 Under 18 Championships.

I think it's beyond doubt he's at Richmond in 2018.

And we go for two talls with our picks.

We have a strong hand for next years draft. Really exciting.

SCOOP said:
I think it's beyond doubt he's at Richmond in 2018.

And we go for two talls with our picks.

We have a strong hand for next years draft. Really exciting.

Yep, three core players next year, things are looking up for once.

The hard questions still need to be asked about whether Naish is actually worth say the value of 2 x 3rd selections, don't they? That's the equivalent of say, two picks at the Garthwaite level, who may turn into a handy player. It will be interesting to see if other clubs even come with any bids for him.

I always rated his father, Chris. A quality SF and on-baller with quality skills and goal-sense. But I'd have to say he was mostly an outside player. No surprise that his son sounds similar. Given the plethora of SF/on-ballers we have now stockpiled, I just wonder a little about our overall strategy. So we take two good talls with our 1st rounders, then could be a long wait for them to develop. Meanwhile, how many of our SFs have really come on too?

Still think we should have looked harder for a genuine KPP this draft or from Rookie or PSD. Liked Sproule and others, club ignored Richards, Latham et al. Naish needs to really come on in 2017 IMHO before RFC commits definitely. Wish the kid all the best though, and hope he develops sharply.

leon said:
The hard questions still need to be asked about whether Naish is actually worth say the value of 2 x 3rd selections, don't they? That's the equivalent of say, two picks at the Garthwaite level, who may turn into a handy player. It will be interesting to see if other clubs even come with any bids for him.

I always rated his father, Chris. A quality SF and on-baller with quality skills and goal-sense. But I'd have to say he was mostly an outside player. No surprise that his son sounds similar. Given the plethora of SF/on-ballers we have now stockpiled, I just wonder a little about our overall strategy. So we take two good talls with our 1st rounders, then could be a long wait for them to develop. Meanwhile, how many of our SFs have really come on too?

Still think we should have looked harder for a genuine KPP this draft or from Rookie or PSD. Liked Sproule and others, club ignored Richards, Latham et al. Naish needs to really come on in 2017 IMHO before RFC commits definitely. Wish the kid all the best though, and hope he develops sharply.

I think Naish will be worth a third rounder & a third round downgrade. We'll still get two players if we want them. This is why trading next year's second rounder for what turned out to be Caddy & Graham was such a smart play.

bullus_hit said:
Yep, three core players next year, things are looking up for once.

Yeah you can see a plan for once.

Adding quality pieces at the right time.

And the price for Naish makes it a no brainer.

bullus_hit said:
I think Naish will be worth a third rounder & a third round downgrade. We'll still get two players if we want them. This is why trading next year's second rounder for what turned out to be Caddy & Graham was such a smart play.

So you think he should be an automatic pick just because he's a F/S. The Scum might just have made that mistake, with higher picks too, with Brown and Daicos Jnr. Not sure either will be that worthy.

And you haven't expressed any concern about our deficiency in KPPs, especially in back-up and development, elsewhere? Have replaced Vickery, McKenzie and McBean with Nankervis, 3:1 loss, plus Maric probably done.

Taken a load of SFs for the last three years. For 2017, unbalanced list. Unless you have a lot of confidence in Elton?

leon said:
So you think he should be an automatic pick just because he's a F/S. The Scum might just have made that mistake, with higher picks too, with Brown and Daicos Jnr. Not sure either will be that worthy.

And you haven't expressed any concern about our deficiency in KPPs, especially in back-up and development, elsewhere? Have replaced Vickery, McKenzie and McBean with Nankervis, 3:1 loss, plus Maric probably done.

Taken a load of SFs for the last three years. For 2017, unbalanced list. Unless you have a lot of confidence in Elton?

Brown and Daicos were decent value once you factor in the discount, Brown played a good game in the All-Stars match, I think there's something to work with. Daicos is more quality over quantity at this stage but he's silk when he does get the ball. I'd expect plenty of improvement over the next few years.

The issue with talls should be addressed in the next draft, two first rounders puts us in a very strong position. I already have five players on the shortlist but there will be some others who emerge. I would have liked Ladhams with our only rookie pick this year but Clarke felt a small forward was the way to go. All things considered, it was probably the Maric retention that was the big head scratcher. As for Elton, never rated him, he's not a quick thinker, would have preferred Richards as insurance.

When you can add elite talent cheap you do it every time.

If Naish continues to improve like he has, it's a gimme.

Extra third & first make it even more obvious.

bullus_hit said:
Brown and Daicos were decent value once you factor in the discount, Brown played a good game in the All-Stars match, I think there's something to work with. Daicos is more quality over quantity at this stage but he's silk when he does get the ball. I'd expect plenty of improvement over the next few years.

The issue with talls should be addressed in the next draft, two first rounders puts us in a very strong position. I already have five players on the shortlist but there will be some others who emerge. I would have liked Ladhams with our only rookie pick this year but Clarke felt a small forward was the way to go. All things considered, it was probably the Maric retention that was the big head scratcher. As for Elton, never rated him, he's not a quick thinker, would have preferred Richards as insurance.

What names should we look out for Bullus in next years draft
If we go the talls ?

Brander, Clavarino, Hayes, McLean & Balta are the ones I'd be closely monitoring.

Noah Balta fascinates me. Could be anything, if he grows some, look out.