Potential Father/Son thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Potential Father/Son thread

have heard mostly good things about young naish, and you would think at this stage he might go top 20, and could be really highly rated by next year in his last u/18 season.

jokershoppe said:
have heard mostly good things about young naish, and you would think at this stage he might go top 20, and could be really highly rated by next year in his last u/18 season.

I hope he's not rated as highly by the AFL ;) - Pick 80 I hope ;) :whistle

Is it right that if someone bids on a farther son you must use your next avalible pick on him?

so we can use our first on player x, then get naish with points from rounds2-3-4 etc, and still fill list needs from rookie draft etc.

Rowdy said:
Is it right that if someone bids on a farther son you must use your next avalible pick on him?
it works via a pts system, so if Naish wasn't bid on by our 1st next yr we could pick another kid with our 1st then if Naish was bid on before our next pick we'd need to give up enough enough picks to get the total pts needed to get him with our 2nd & so on. works the same with the Academy's so all other Clubs are better off bidding for those players (providing they want them of course) otherwise GWS for example could get a Draft kid then an Academy kid later - thus giving them a free hit. i am suprised we were the only Club to bid last year

jokershoppe said:
so we can use our first on player x, then get naish with points from rounds2-3-4 etc, and still fill list needs from rookie draft etc.

yes, except Naish isnt eligible this year, he will be for 2017 draft

On the other hand Billy Lambert is

The problem with the points system is that we don't have scraps we can trade away for 3rd and 4th rounders. GWS scraps are in demand, ours aren't. We will find it hard to accumulate points and will have to give ip first rounders for good father sons. The clubs were caught napping again as the AFL gave the franchises another leg up. The points system is a sham.

Guys like Scoop, Leysy, Bullus etc are not bad at spotting a good u/18 player, but it takes a special eye to spot an AFL player when they are 13 ;)

evo said:
Just been been watching my sons school footy championships - year 8. Daicos' son is in the team. All I can say is collingwood will have sweet father-son pick in 3 or 4 years.

Just a query regarding the father son / academy picks.

Colonwood are looking at both Daics n Brown as father son selections.
They've pre sold their first round pick getting Treloar into the club n so are fairly skinny for draft points value to try n claim both kids as father son this year.

Papers are claiming they can go into points deficit if they can't scrape enough points together to cover both kids.

I'm guessing from this comment that you can load up n pre trade some of your draft picks one year to get an elite player into your club and then are still able to pick up father sons at the 20% discounted rate by cobbling together some points from the arse end of one years draft with some more points value from the arse end of the next years draft.

Reckon that's about as close to having your cake and eating it as anyone could ever hope to get, almost sounds like Colonwood managed to sneak ahead of the ledger in this scenario.

With Mould Coast n GWS reaming the draft while they were being established, n still reaming the draft by selling off all their leftovers at top of the market prices. Add in the new system of trading future picks n cobbling together future years draft points to bank father sons. It's highly unlikely there'll ever be another clean uncomplicated straight forward draft ever again, just a never ending spiral of fudging picks n points n futures until something or someone disappears up it's own nether region.

TigerMasochist said:
Just a query regarding the father son / academy picks.

Colonwood are looking at both Daics n Brown as father son selections.
They've pre sold their first round pick getting Treloar into the club n so are fairly skinny for draft points value to try n claim both kids as father son this year.

Papers are claiming they can go into points deficit if they can't scrape enough points together to cover both kids.

I'm guessing from this comment that you can load up n pre trade some of your draft picks one year to get an elite player into your club and then are still able to pick up father sons at the 20% discounted rate by cobbling together some points from the arse end of one years draft with some more points value from the arse end of the next years draft.

Reckon that's about as close to having your cake and eating it as anyone could ever hope to get, almost sounds like Colonwood managed to sneak ahead of the ledger in this scenario.

With Mould Coast n GWS reaming the draft while they were being established, n still reaming the draft by selling off all their leftovers at top of the market prices. Add in the new system of trading future picks n cobbling together future years draft points to bank father sons. It's highly unlikely there'll ever be another clean uncomplicated straight forward draft ever again, just a never ending spiral of fudging picks n points n futures until something or someone disappears up it's own nether region.

I'm pretty sure you have to use your next available pick initially. If there is some balance left, then you get a "new" pick at that level.

For example, if say Collingwood go into deficit this year by say 300 points, they will lose 300 points off their first pick in 2017. They can't just use a whole heap of *smile* picks at the end of the draft for their academy or father / son picks.

Actually just found the powerpoint that the AFL published. Look at Page 4. Hopefully I'm allowed to link here, though it is the AFL website. Please delete link if I can't. If it gets deleted just search for afl academy bidding and the presentation comes up in the google search.

mrposhman said:
I'm pretty sure you have to use your next available pick initially. If there is some balance left, then you get a "new" pick at that level.

For example, if say Collingwood go into deficit this year by say 300 points, they will lose 300 points off their first pick in 2017. They can't just use a whole heap of sh!t picks at the end of the draft for their academy or father / son picks.

Actually just found the powerpoint that the AFL published. Look at Page 4. Hopefully I'm allowed to link here, though it is the AFL website. Please delete link if I can't. If it gets deleted just search for afl academy bidding and the presentation comes up in the google search.
Gotcha, thanks poshy.

I watched the Knights play the Bushrangers today. Young Naish played on the wing. He is pretty slight as you would expect and didn't get many touches but what he did do looked pretty classy. Has a long way to go but here's hoping he will turn out to be a good one.

jokershoppe said:
http://footyprophet.com/class-2016-afl-bloodlines/

interesting article on 2016 father son prospects.

Dont understand = that article says Lambert qualifies father/son for both Tigers and Bris - have AFL changed rules again on how many games need to be played. Did not think his dad played enough for Brisi. And of course if any good bloody GWS get a finger in the pie by having him part of their academy.

percyms said:
Dont understand = that article says Lambert qualifies father/son for both Tigers and Bris - have AFL changed rules again on how many games need to be played. Did not think his dad played enough for Brisi. And of course if any good bloody GWS get a finger in the pie by having him part of their academy.

Def did not play enough games for Brisbane, article is incorrect

Brodders17 said:
are pre-season matches or State of Origin included in F/S eligibility??
i would assume they counted towards total games & that it'd all count. as i understand he is just shy of enough games at Brisbane