Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Navy Days said:
Was undoubtedly one of the very few positives from todays game for navy.

Moves extremely well, very well balanced (which navy loves in a player), skills look good & has a physique which will fill out very well in time.

He also plays a role that we are in absolute dire need of - that high forward player that can run through the midfield that are so important. We lack so much class & quality in the front half its not funny.

Here's hoping he can help fill the void of the many battlers we currently have currently filling in on those positions.

An improved version of Collins Navy? :hihi

He is a good talent this boy.

Navy Days said:
Was undoubtedly one of the very few positives from todays game for navy.

Moves extremely well, very well balanced (which navy loves in a player), skills look good & has a physique which will fill out very well in time.

He also plays a role that we are in absolute dire need of - that high forward player that can run through the midfield that are so important. We lack so much class & quality in the front half its not funny.

Here's hoping he can help fill the void of the many battlers we currently have currently filling in on those positions.

Thats what I hope he does. Boy do we need it. Wouldn't Gus Monfires be handy now?

Tigerbob said:
An improved version of Collins Navy? :hihi

He is a good talent this boy.

Thinking more limited footballers like Nahas, King, White, Nason et al Bobby. Its slim pickings down there :'(

& yes on first viewings for navy does look an excellent talent. :)

year of the tiger said:
I liked what I saw. It was him? who did the tackle in the forward 50, pity he didn't slot the goal
Yep that was him. His pressure towards the Crows defender was great to see and his tackle was perfectly executed. Was brilliant to see.

One of the few shining lights in todays game.

Navy Days said:
Thinking more limited footballers like Nahas, King, White, Nason et al Bobby. Its slim pickings down there :'(

& yes on first viewings for navy does look an excellent talent. :)

King is the only one that has merit being in the side before Helbig in my opinion. Limited player he is but he offers us something does King.

Nahas is very limited and hasn't shown me much, Nason hasn't been near it this pre season and White hasn't been great playing in defence. I reckon White is a better fit up forward then in defence.

I think we bite the bullet and get this boy experience and play him in the role as much as possible. With him, Morton and Houli there is a good spread of that Rotating Mid, Half Forward role.

Tigerbob said:
I think we bite the bullet and get this boy experience and play him in the role as much as possible. With him, Morton and Houli there is a good spread of that Rotating Mid, Half Forward role.

That trio is a vast improvement on the 2010 rotation. Massive. Reckon Conca will get a gig there as well. He and Helbig should both come off a back flank at certain stages.

Think King has the lock down forward role. He has that role. We need small man toughness in the forward half. Believe it or not we need a general in the forward 50. For better or worse King has that role.

Smoking Aces said:
Yep that was him. His pressure towards the Crows defender was great to see and his tackle was perfectly executed. Was brilliant to see.

One of the few shining lights in todays game.

Yep. Good poise too.

SCOOP said:
That trio is a vast improvement on the 2010 rotation. Massive. Reckon Conca will get a gig there as well. He and Helbig should both come off a back flank at certain stages.

Think King has the lock down forward role. He has that role. We need small man toughness in the forward half. Believe it or not we need a general in the forward 50. For better or worse King has that role.

Yep an area we have improved is better talent and more runners through the middle and half forward.

I think Conca and Batchelor will be playing off half back. Their balance, poise and kicking skills are needed through there. With Newman and Deledio also there it does provide us better users there. Hence why I cannot understand White being there.

Helbig, Morton, Houli and Connors through that position would be great.

Tigerbob said:
King is the only one that has merit being in the side before Helbig in my opinion. Limited player he is but he offers us something does King.

Nahas is very limited and hasn't shown me much, Nason hasn't been near it this pre season and White hasn't been great playing in defence. I reckon White is a better fit up forward then in defence.

Agree with much of that mate.

King does have a role in a team such as ours. Should be overtaken in time but fully deserves to fill a role ATM.

Also agree that if White is to be played it is that high forward position where he can at least use his fitness. His chronic one-sidedness is going to hurt in defence with the forward press being so prevalent in denying time & space to running defenders.

We are starting to get a few possibilities for that high forward/mid position. Cant agree that its a good spread yet though. As promising as Helbig is he still has it all to do. Houli consistently does something navy absolutely hates in a player - goes to ground far too easy in a contest. We really need someone of real class to stand up in this position. Think guys like Chapman & Didak that get 25 touches & 2 goals a week. Hard to come across but absolutely vital in their respective teams success.

We need a big influx in quality forward of centre. Whilst things are looking slightly better dont think the full answers are on the list yet.

Navy Days said:
Agree with much of that mate.

King does have a role in a team such as ours. Should be overtaken in time but fully deserves to fill a role ATM.

Also agree that if White is to be played it is that high forward position where he can at least use his fitness. His chronic one-sidedness is going to hurt in defence with the forward press being so prevalent in denying time & space to running defenders.

We are starting to get a few possibilities for that high forward/mid position. Cant agree that its a good spread yet though. As promising as Helbig is he still has it all to do. Houli consistently does something navy absolutely hates in a player - goes to ground far too easy in a contest. We really need someone of real class to stand up in this position. Think guys like Chapman & Didak that get 25 touches & 2 goals a week. Hard to come across but absolutely vital in their respective teams success.

We need a big influx in quality forward of centre. Whilst things are looking slightly better dont think the full answers are on the list yet.

Tend to agree, I meant potentially.

Reckon Morton could be that player you want. Think Houli will get us high possessions and kick a couple of goals here and there. Still think he is underrated by many on here. Yes he has a bit of work to do, but he is making the right noises.

Helbig is really impressive, just needs game time and experience.

Houli has kicked 9 goals in 26 games. I've seen a lot of people mention him as a forward but think it's grasping on straws relying on him one of the multiple options to kick 20+ which is what we need. Think it's brought on by the fact there's so little options to rotate through there. As mentioned already, we massively need some class up around the HF line. A team with the likes of King, White, Nahas, Nason, etc rotating through there is instantly bottom 4 and that won't change. The forward line is basically Riewoldt surrounded by a bunch of battlers. Morton needs to play because of this very reason. I would love a Beams, Sidebottom or Fyfe type player. Big fan of all 3. Rotating high HF/mid who can has class, dual-sided and you can rely on for 15-20 touches and 2 goals. We actually need a couple of them a long with quality smalls. Hopefully Helbig turns into one. Forward line is our biggest achillies heel IMO.

Navy Days said:

I think at this stage Houli is shaping up well as that man. Played another good game yesterday and was one of the few running hard to receive. I'm somewhat surprised he isn't getting any praise around here.

I haven't really formed an opinion on Helbig either way. Seemed ok I suppose but must admit I wasn't really focussing on him.

Tigerbob said:
Think Houli will get us high possessions and kick a couple of goals here and there. Still think he is underrated by many on here. Yes he has a bit of work to do, but he is making the right noises.
agree

Yesterday was the first time I had seen Helbig live. Goes hard and had good skills and awareness. Really looks like he belongs and his tackle on the Crows (much bigger) defender was perfect.It was a serious, crunching tackle. I would play him early though probably not round 1.

Did he get much of the ball yesterday.
he has looked aggressive and been involved in the games, but hasnt actually got many possies.
unless that changed yesterday i would be expecting him to spend some time at coburg working on that, and getting used to senior footy.
thats not to write him off at all, or be negative, just that he may need a bit of time before playing afl, like most kids.

Really impressed with this kid, another good late pick up by the recruiters. He showed a lot of poise and kicked well off both feet. Wasnt afraid to put his body in.

Phar Ace said:
And the price of aniseed balls were?
Four for a penny and who the hell is Helbig................................................................... oops yeah we're discussing footy aren't we?