Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

davidrodan said:
Reckon Helbig could play Kingy's role quite well, has the defensive mindset, speed, hardness but can go into the midfield or back if needed
(which King cannot do)

and it is not like King is a noted crumber or extra dangerous around goals

True, but is he an upgrade on King - we need to inject some speed into the forward line, which I am hoping Lennon can do when he gets his chance.

I think this will be his last year unless he gets and contributes strongly in 6 to 8 games in 2014.

Helbig has suffered through injury as mentioned but has and will also suffer from a sudden change in our plans. By us recruiting mature age players who are helping us do nothing more than tread water the kids wallow in the VFL, its far from an ideal place to develop.

The good teams arent afraid to throw a few kids in the deep end and if they warrant a game the following week they get one, they'll develop a lot better and quicker playing along side the games best not playing sub standard footy in a lower league. Geelong have been very good at this for years and it continues to work well and they have missed the need for a rebuild, while at Richmond we give the likes of Madonna 1 game in which he goes ok but soon as we have a less than half fit veteran ready to go he's back in the VFL.

The VFL no doubt has its place and i enjoy watching it but its not the perfect place to develop your players year after year after year.

year of the tiger said:
True, but is he an upgrade on King - we need to inject some speed into the forward line, which I am hoping Lennon can do when he gets his chance.

I think this will be his last year unless he gets and contributes strongly in 6 to 8 games in 2014.

Not sure Lennon has outright speed YOTT
kicking is great, has class and is a goal kicker, yes
not sure if he is as defensively minded too

Don't get me wrong, have big hopes for Lennon and wouldn't be against seeing him in the team for maybe Newman, S. Edwards, Grigg or Petterd
But not for King's role

Also I think Helbig is a definite upgrade on King ATM
If King was not injured/underdone then I wouldn't be so sure but ATM he is

davidrodan said:
Not sure Lennon has outright speed YOTT
kicking is great, has class and is a goal kicker, yes
not sure if he is as defensively minded too

Don't get me wrong, have big hopes for Lennon and wouldn't be against seeing him in the team for maybe Newman, S. Edwards, Grigg or Petterd
But not for King's role

Also I think Helbig is a definite upgrade on King ATM
If King was not injured/underdone then I wouldn't be so sure but ATM he is

fair points. A wet Friday night at the G against the pies could be a good time to stake his claim if he played well last week in the reserves although I would be very surprised if it happened.

year of the tiger said:
fair points. A wet Friday night at the G against the pies could be a good time to stake his claim if he played well last week in the reserves although I would be very surprised if it happened.

Same

Tiger Ghost said:
Helbig has suffered through injury as mentioned but has and will also suffer from a sudden change in our plans. By us recruiting mature age players who are helping us do nothing more than tread water the kids wallow in the VFL, its far from an ideal place to develop.

The good teams arent afraid to throw a few kids in the deep end and if they warrant a game the following week they get one, they'll develop a lot better and quicker playing along side the games best not playing sub standard footy in a lower league. Geelong have been very good at this for years and it continues to work well and they have missed the need for a rebuild, while at Richmond we give the likes of Madonna 1 game in which he goes ok but soon as we have a less than half fit veteran ready to go he's back in the VFL.

The VFL no doubt has its place and i enjoy watching it but its not the perfect place to develop your players year after year after year.
Spot on. I think that is the point most miss. Everyone expects our younger players to rack up 40 possies every week in the VFL before they are considered for the AFL. Thing is some players shine when put in the spotlight and surrounded by better teammates.

If we wait for every single one of our youngsters to dominate VFL level before getting a look in with the senior squad then we won't be developing a thing.

Have said it before. What amazing form did Vickery show in the VFL to be granted such a long run in the seniors? S.Edwards the same. If it is good enough to allow TV to develop in the firsts then it is good enough for all youngsters.

What seems to be happening at Tigerland and is getting obvious by the week is that different rules apply to different players. Not a great way to build a successful culture and team.

Tiger Ghost said:

Geelong?? their list is full of young guys that have played plenty of VFL football.
Guthrie is their only young draftee in the last few years to average more than 10 games a year. he has played 40 in 3. there may be examples of teams rushing their kids into the firsts but the cats are not one of them. The Dees on the other hand.....

frawleyudud said:
Spot on. I think that is the point most miss. Everyone expects our younger players to rack up 40 possies every week in the VFL before they are considered for the AFL. Thing is some players shine when put in the spotlight and surrounded by better teammates.

If we wait for every single one of our youngsters to dominate VFL level before getting a look in with the senior squad then we won't be developing a thing.

Have said it before. What amazing form did Vickery show in the VFL to be granted such a long run in the seniors? S.Edwards the same. If it is good enough to allow TV to develop in the firsts then it is good enough for all youngsters.

What seems to be happening at Tigerland and is getting obvious by the week is that different rules apply to different players. Not a great way to build a successful culture and team.

He has had opportunities and has been poor

Merveille said:
He has had opportunities and has been poor
Clearly some doubts being expressed about Helbig whereas I always help hopes for him and tend to like the idea of giving him a good run at it.
I'd support the idea of him taking King's spot in the team for now. But is he a backman or a forward?

Tenacious said:
Clearly some doubts being expressed about Helbig whereas I always help hopes for him and tend to like the idea of giving him a good run at it.
I'd support the idea of him taking King's spot in the team for now. But is he a backman or a forward?

Playing back in the VFL and doing okay.

If Knights is not fit I would play Helbig this week.

We need to know if Helbig is up to it. If not move him on. He cant do any worse then our forwards at the moment

Davidos said:
If Knights is not fit I would play Helbig this week.

We need to know if Helbig is up to it. If not move him on. He cant do any worse then our forwards at the moment

Knights is listed as a couple of weeks away.

We have seen how most first rounders have stepped straight into our team but not anyone taken later.
Ok grimes was good too
So this year Astbury and Griffiths have stepped up. They are talls.

Dea might have missed the boat. Helbig and batch should probably click the season or end up behind schedule too.
Arnott Elton and maybe Darrou and O'Hanlon should be on track for next year.

Smoking Aces said:
We were saying the same thing about Griffiths. Look at him now.
Griffiths killed it in the preseason , that is why he played round 1. Last year he stunk it up in the 2s which is why he didn't play.
Helbig has either stunk it up in the 2s or been injured for 2 years now. He just hasn't done anywhere near enough to get a game . Players like Helbig should be playing good footy at the vfl level if they are truly senior material.

Again his a lad who I love his attack on footy an opponent, however I'm not seeing a lot of other AFL attributes...in saying that maybe he can tickle Swanny rib cage a few times in the dampness of the G

CC TIGER said:
Again his a lad who I love his attack on footy an opponent, however I'm not seeing a lot of other AFL attributes...in saying that maybe he can tickle Swanny rib cage a few times in the dampness of the G
A cheeky knee to Maxwells dodgy rib cage would do just fine.