Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Tigers2011 said:
I want to see better form from Helbig in the VFL before a promotion.
Hard to tell when the side is beaten by over 100 points, but Helbig was named among the best in the loss last week. Given the injuries and form worries it's worth giving him the chance at this point. He may surprise many of us and make the most of it this time.

CarnTheTiges said:
He may surprise many of us and make the most of it this time.
He might not either. I hardly think we're at the point of throwing hail mary's at the selection table. I want our heavily considered best 22 selected at round 4 for a huge game like this. If Helbig has earned a spot, then fine. But if we're just hoping for a surprise then I reckon we're looking for fools gold.

nikolasmia said:
5 years on the list
struggles to stay fit
Rarely gets a senior game
Cant kick
Delist
He's 3 games into his 4th season.......

Brad played 5 games in 2012, and only one last season. He has been injured in previous seasons but has played most games in the vfl with good reports on how he has been playing.
Will he get a few games to show us what he's got? Or has his papers been stamped?
I'd like to see get a few games to strut his stuff, on form he deserves it.

After 4 years on the list it's a shame he hasn't had many opportunities but halfback/mid is a position we're not short of and there are quite a few in the queue ahead of him.

Has had a lot of injuries but if he can't crack a game now when finally fit, ahead of an ailing Newman, then he's definitely up against staying on the list.

Tough system for young guys trying to establish themselves and having injury problems but that's the nature of AFL footy I guess.

I remember the Bombers were keen on him at Draft time but we snuck in and got him with pick 47 i think and the Bombers had pick 48.

Play him for the remainder of the season, up his trade value and trade him to GWS for JC

St Kevin said:
Yep, I'd be surprised if he was here next season.
It's a shame that they're doing this without really letting him play a senior game. Looks like the same thing will happen with Ben Darrou.

Seen a few VFL the last few years, and it staggers me that he hasn't been given more of a chance, especially when we have players in the AFL team who have been out of form at various stages (newman, morris, etc)

Tigertool said:
I actually reckon the club loves Benny. I think he'll get upgraded at years end.
I hope so. Be a bit stiff to be kept on the rookie list for 3 years, actually show something in the VFL consistently, not be played and then delisted.

Other clubs pick up guns, Parker, hannebury, & beams.
We can't draft to save ourselves unless they're a top 3 pick.

Tigertool said:
I actually reckon the club loves Benny. I think he'll get upgraded at years end.

Agree on this as well, Darrou has improved every season he's been here which is promising.

I know Helbig plays midfield in the VFL but how are his defensive skills?
Steve Morris is no lock as a long term back pocket and you often see mids or even forwards (Leon Davis etc.) go back and find a niche.
Has Helbig been tried in this role or does he have the attributes to make a nice small running defender who is more composed that Morris?