Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Let me preface by saying I want us to recruit Taylor Adams, and am prepared to give up pick 11 and a fringe player to get him. I really rate this kid.
Having said that, whilst we know the club also want Adams, as a fall back plan they may be thinking that if we don't get a deal over the line, Helbig and Arnot may be the players that step into the role vacated by Tuck. Helbig just needs a fair run with injury. I remember his game against StK 2 years ago (draw) and he had a very solid match and I remember him kicking a goal from 55m at the City end goal. If he has an injury free pre-season I think he could be in the top 26 players throughout the season.

Agree Pappy. Helbig, Arnot and McDonough are three guys I have very high hopes for as a tough nut inside mid brigade. Add Adams and we're laughing

When it comes to Tiger players I am always happy to be wrong but I haven't seen anything in Helbig to make me think that he is more than a maybe at best.

Prepared to cut him slack for injuries but a guy like bachelor who is getting traded off in another thread has shown more at a senior level than helbig has. If the club keeps him for another 12 months then it must be that they see something in him and I hope that's the case.

My issue with him is that he doesn't win enough one on one contests.

Sintiger said:
When it comes to Tiger players I am always happy to be wrong but I haven't seen anything in Helbig to make me think that he is more than a maybe at best.

I would have to agree with you. A number of people on here see a lot in this guy I can't. I have tended to put that down to the fact that it can be very difficult to judge a player's ability on TV, because you often don't see the little things you do at the game.

But for mine, he hasn't shown a lot.

It's been said before, but I wouldn't judge too harshly on Helbig's senior performances to date, given he's been played out of position every single time. He's a bullocking, in and under centre square midfielder, not a back pocket which is where Dimma has plonked him every time, often as sub.

Wait till he gets his chance at senior level, starting in the middle. He'll do fine. Better than fine IMO. Will be a good player

Stylo said:

For now he has to be as he hasn't been given a proper run yet. He desperately needs a strong pre-season and good run with injury this season.

The team is on the up. Let's hope he can go with them.

Another one of concern, according to the RFC website today. Injury prone I'm afraid. Add to Batchelor and the ranks are starting to look a little thin for '14.

graystar1 said:
Another one of concern, according to the RFC website today. Injury prone I'm afraid. Add to Batchelor and the ranks are starting to look a little thin for '14.

Yes, but it is better to have injury prone sub-22 year olds with talent on the back of your list than fully fit cabbage-patch kids. Give him one more year to see if his body holds up, if not, nice rookie list option.

Looks comfortable at top level and has an amazing boot on him!

Can slot them easy from outside 50.

General play is good.

Good tackler too.

Most of all, never shirks the issue!

In short, I think he is a keeper

blx said:
Looks comfortable at top level and has an amazing boot on him!

Can slot them easy from outside 50.

General play is good.

Good tackler too.

Most of all, never shirks the issue!

In short, I think he is a keeper

I have never seen anything at AFL level that tells me that skill wise he is a player. I agree he is tough but that's been it for me thus far. I just hope he gets an injury free run so that he can display all that you have listed above.

Rapt for the kid. Still think he's gonna make good.

Problem with good teams is its hard to give kids much continuity at senior level.

Out: Tuck -- In: Arnot
Out: White -- In: Helbig
Out: McGuane -- In: McBean

I had no doubt Brad Would not be delisted

turk-d-tiger said:

I had no doubt Brad Would not be delisted

out: .......... In Knights
out: .........In Hampson

and we might pinch a couple of delisted players over the next week too

DirtyDogTiger said:
out: KING .......... In Knights
out: NEWMAN.........In Hampson

and we might pinch a couple of delisted players over the next week too

I understand we need to use a minimum of 3 picks in the National Draft but can Pettard's rookie upgrade be counted as one? Also, if we grab a delisted free agent such as the lad from Port, Thomas?, will his selection be refelcted in the draft or would he be simply added to our list?