Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Re: Brad Helbig

Haven't seen enough of him... With Tucky retiring we will need some heavy grunt midfield depth.

I like him, terrible run with injury but is hard at it, good kick and has a natural footballers' x-factor.

Helbig is one of the guys we need to improve to take the next step.
Should be given opportunities in the pre season

Never saw what other did in this guy. Didn't play much and we he did play he didn't get enough of it and was a little loose in his disposal. I would probably cut him.

Looking forward to an improving Helbig and improving Arnot fight it out for gametime next year, should be intriguing

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I like him, terrible run with injury but is hard at it, good kick and has a natural footballers' x-factor.
:clap

Has everything you want in a footballer but hasn't been able to put it together with injury being the main problem.

Brooklyn Tiger said:
Never saw what other did in this guy. Didn't play much and we he did play he didn't get enough of it and was a little loose in his disposal. I would probably cut him.

He's never played in his natural position in the seniors. For some reason every time he's been called up in the past Dimma has stuck him in a back pocket, where he never plays at Coburg. He's an offensive in and under midfielder through and through, when he finally gets a crack at playing that role in the seniors I reckon he'll surprise a few

Stylo said:
He's never played in his natural position in the seniors. For some reason every time he's been called up in the past Dimma has stuck him in a back pocket, where he never plays at Coburg. He's an offensive in and under midfielder through and through, when he finally gets a crack at playing that role in the seniors I reckon he'll surprise a few

Great post. Agree entirely.

Stylo said:
If this is true it defies logic. What is the coaching panel thinking?

Silent Bob said:
If this is true it defies logic. What is the coaching panel thinking?

They probably think he is next in line behind: Cotchin, Jackson, Tuck, Foley, Edwards, Martin, Conca - and possibly Arnott. We have some deficiencies, but I don't reckon it's with 'in and under midfielders'. If we were quick and outside, I'd swap him for Grigg in a heart beat.

Cannot understand people who want to move on young talent because they haven't cemented a regular spot in the seniors yet. Sure if they have shown nothing (e.g. JON), but for those who show a little bit at Coburg or have been injured, for god sake give them time. Give players like Batchelor, Helbig, Astbury etc time to develop.

Going back I understand why we did it, but it was clear to me that we moved on Schulz too quickly - some players take time. Jackson took 10 years :)

Dimma loves big body players, so can't see him leaving any time soon.
Cut down by injury this year and only play the 1 game.
Showed some promise in 2012, played the last 5 games.

should get another season

maverick said:
Going back I understand why we did it, but it was clear to me that we moved on Schulz too quickly - some players take time. Jackson took 10 years :)

yep brad has got a couple of years to finish runner up in the jack dyer medal to be as crap as jacko was. i pity him. flavour of the month today whipping boy tomorrow if he's not a star going by the pattern on pre. i hope he can stake a claim to be selected week in week out like jacko has been. would love him to also be a hundred plus game player.

I posted the following on another thread. Thought it was worth repeating here on the Helbig specific thread.

Helbig has had a very bad run with injuries.

Toward the end of this year he was regularly getting close to 30 possessions as an inside mid for Coburg.

A solid pre season may see him come on in leaps and bounds 2014.

With Tuck retiring, he has a great opportunity to stake a claim in the best 22.