Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Absolut Tigers said:
Time for a reality check. There are probably 4-6, maybe more, players in front of him at this stage i.e. Knights, Lonergan (when elevated to main list), White, Nahas, Batchelor (assuming these guys don't play against Carlton)

There probably are AT, but no need to rush with Brad.

I think there is something special about this kid. Coburg first. He only gets a game if he can offer more than those above and we are starting to build some depth.

But he could become that quality wing/half back that can hit targets in forward 50, and eventually a bona fide mid.

If we are going well happy for Brad to build his game and dominate at Coburg. If he does that he'll get his chance.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
I really haven't seen anything that warrants the love on here.

That's generally the case for any youngish Richmond listed player on these forums. Griffiths was the same, Arnot getting a lot of love for just 1 or 2 okay preseason hitouts, etc.

Barnzy said:
That's generally the case for any youngish Richmond listed player on these forums. Griffiths was the same, Arnot getting a lot of love for just 1 or 2 okay preseason hitouts, etc.

Better than stating that they are/will be sh!t like some on here do even after a player has displayed that they have made the grade. S. Edwards, Houli for instance.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
I really haven't seen anything that warrants the love on here.

All in the eye of the beholder TBH. I believe he is highly rated by the coaching staff.

A terrible injury last year which has proved career ending for some but the coaching staff were keen to play him in the last 5 games last year when he recovered.

I've just seem a number of plays where I thought "ooohhh ,,,was that masked man" and it happened to be Brad.

One has to remember he was a pick 40ish, but for mine he has the potential to be a top liner. Was thrown in too early because we had no depth so some have been underwhelmed.

What he needs is continuity as a mid at Coburg and then we'll all be in a better position to judge.

lamb22 said:
All in the eye of the beholder TBH. I believe he is highly rated by the coaching staff.

A terrible injury last year which has proved career ending for some but the coaching staff were keen to play him in the last 5 games last year when he recovered.

I've just seem a number of plays where I thought "ooohhh ,,,was that masked man" and it happened to be Brad.

One has to remember he was a pick 40ish, but for mine he has the potential to be a top liner. Was thrown in too early because we had no depth so some have been underwhelmed.

What he needs is continuity as a mid at Coburg and then we'll all be in a better position to judge.

That last line sums it up. Look at Arnot with 4 or 5 weeks in a row under his belt both in NAB Cup and back at Coburg. Pick 40+ won't come in and play good footy from day one unless it's a mature ager. They need development time. Brad needs some continuity before we can really judge him. Hopefully his body allows this soon.

He was my early call for breakout player if he got through the pre-season but that has not come to fruition.
I really like the look of Arnott for Most Improved and he looks fit and ready to go and may surprise at how quickly he can step up to AFL level if they give him a chance.

Juffaricho said:
He was my early call for breakout player if he got through the pre-season but that has not come to fruition.
I really like the look of Arnott for Most Improved and he looks fit and ready to go and may surprise at how quickly he can step up to AFL level if they give him a chance.

Helbig’s injuries has set him behind Arnot temporarily, but I think fundamentally Helbig is a more promising footballer. They are both tough inside users, but Helbig is a more explosive athlete, taller and a better user under pressure.

Height and speed means Helbig can play in numerous positions, whereas Arnot has to become a midfielder to make it.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Helbig’s injuries has set him behind Arnot temporarily, but I think fundamentally Helbig is a more promising footballer. They are both tough inside users, but Helbig is a more explosive athlete, taller and a better user under pressure.

Height and speed means Helbig can play in numerous positions, whereas Arnot has to become a midfielder to make it.

I like what I have seen of them both. But opportunity this year should favour Arnott. We have some very, very good quality flankers and wings, who Helbig will have to overtake. With Foley's injury and Lonergan not upgraded Arnot could play early in the season, particularly if our clearance numbers suck.

lamb22 said:

I've sometimes thought "oooh" too, but usually after a fumble or turnover from Brad. Still early days I know but he's never shown any particularly elite attribute, such as the poise of Flossie or the zonebreaking superboot of Griff.

The boy can play don't worry about that.Essendon were super keen on him,but we snuck in just before them :hihi.

Just need's game time and he'll be knocking on the door quick smart.

Yes the kid can play

He is fast, confident, big bodied, hard at it, and a very good kick. Has a bit of a mean streak as well.

He just needs some continuity in game time - if this occurs, he will be in our best 22 in 2014

Don't forget that the boy distributes nicely from a pack by hand...
Good luck this year Brad. I suspect you will surprise a few before you time at the tigers is up.
Keep up the hard work son.

Helbig

Any news on Biggy?

Notice he is not in the Coburg squad this week. Injury or Suspension?

Re: Helbig

Mr Magic said:
Any news on Biggy?

Notice he is not in the Coburg squad this week. Injury or Suspension?

A poster reported from training this week that he looked a little suss, so suggests injury.

Re: Helbig

17 said:
A poster reported from training this week that he looked a little suss, so suggests injury.

spewing. was hoping he'd come back in. seems a bit injury prone which is unfortunate.