Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Leysy Days said:
Wouldnt suprise if he ends up the best of his RFC crop. Conca, Batch who will be long termers you'd think, included.

Whoa. Massive call by Leysy.

If it pans out that way and Helbig is the best from that crop, we will have gotten three A graders from the one draft. I like Helbig but couldn't see him jumping over the other two. Right now, he would be ranked third amongst them by a fair way. Interesting call.

I do think that Helbig can add some much needs class to our Half Forward line in 2012. Could see him bypassing Edwards and White in that role very quickly.

SCOOP said:
I do think that Helbig can add some much needs class to our Half Forward line in 2012. Could see him bypassing Edwards and White in that role very quickly.
Certainly seems to like kicking a long goal -seems an accurate set shot from a distance

SCOOP said:
Whoa. Massive call by Leysy.

If it pans out that way and Helbig is the best from that crop, we will have gotten three A graders from the one draft. I like Helbig but couldn't see him jumping over the other two. Right now, he would be ranked third amongst them by a fair way. Interesting call.

Yeah will clarify a touch in that if he becomes the equal of Conca & Batchelor in performance because of the role he plays he'll be a more valuable ( & thus better player to us than them.

Obviously a bigger risk & will take longer to get there, think he might have a higher ceiling if he does though.

Tough, quick, skilled & can kick a long way. All great attributes. Needs some size & to find the footy more. If he does look out.

Baloo said:
Let's not forget to thank Essendon when we think of Hellboy. They insisted we keep our pick we offered for Houli so that we could call out Hellboys name just before the Dons were.

I still smile every time I think of that..........if they hadn't been so up themselves & downright arrogant in their refusal to deal with the lowly RFC - they would have got him instead of us..... I hope he turns into a star & Houli plays 200 games of quality football......................goddamn..... that would be so, so good !!!!

jimbob said:
I still smile every time I think of that..........if they hadn't been so up themselves & downright arrogant in their refusal to deal with the lowly RFC - they would have got him instead of us..... I hope he turns into a star & Houli plays 200 games of quality football......................goddamn..... that would be so, so good !!!!

New nickname for Helbig for now on should be Bomber!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy has an "elite" open field handball.
Yes, he is a long kick, yes he is hard at it, but I believe it is handball that will determine whether he will make it or not.

Juffaricho said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy has an "elite" open field handball.

The one at 0:20 in this clip is a thing of beauty.

http://youtu.be/iChzzY2Eb-0

wayne said:

Great pick up Wayno.
That was a composed decision and execution by Hellfire.

he could well be the winger / outside runner / half forward we lack. If Helbig and McDonald can make it, it would be massive for us.

our outside run and half forward line is our major weakness.

Harry said:
he could well be the winger / outside runner / half forward we lack. If Helbig and McDonald can make it, it would be massive for us.

our outside run and half forward line is our major weakness.

Remember the days when we could only dream that outside run and half forward were our major weaknesses

wayne said:

Great little trifecta of draftees, there. Clearing handball to Concas quick hands to batchelor awesome, as was batch's positioning and delivery to jack.

TigerPort said:
Remember the days when we could only dream that outside run and half forward were our major weaknesses

We still have other major weaknesses ILO.

Reasonably active in first season was a good start for this 19yo medium midfielder.

Showed a bit.

Will look forward to seeing him improving next season and possibly becoming a regular.

Small forwards, key backs, rucks, Inside mids that can work outside to go with the running linkup players & half forwards that were rightly mentioned.

Now we might have potential in these areas for young guys that have shown potential to becomes bonafide players. But as it stands we are currently weak in those areas for a topline AFL team.

I reckon in Martin, Cotchin and Deledio we'd be up there with any team for inside/outside mids. Even Foley has outisde game while being a ball winning machine at his best. Conca might also develop into this type as well. Perhaps Ellis too.

Key backs I reckon we're fairly strong with Rance's emergence. Yes they're young but Grimey, Post and Astbury all show promise. One more and McGuane can go and it'll look pretty good IMO.

Rucks we're only average but a lot depends on whether or not Maric can make a Houli like leap forward. With the drafting of Elton I think they're signalling a desire to use Vickery in the ruck long term which makes the whole ruck division look infinitely better.

I wouldn't say any of those areas are major weaknesses. Agree though we're very light for both small forwards and medium half forwards.

Disco08 said:
I reckon in Martin, Cotchin and Deledio we'd be up there with any team for inside/outside mids. Even Foley has outisde game while being a ball winning machine at his best. Conca might also develop into this type as well. Perhaps Ellis too.

Key backs I reckon we're fairly strong with Rance's emergence. Yes they're young but Grimey, Post and Astbury all show promise. One more and McGuane can go and it'll look pretty good IMO.

Rucks we're only average but a lot depends on whether or not Maric can make a Houli like leap forward. With the drafting of Elton I think they're signalling a desire to use Vickery in the ruck long term which makes the whole ruck division look infinitely better.

I wouldn't say any of those areas are major weaknesses. Agree though we're very light for both small forwards and medium half forwards.

Thats it, no-ones fault currently at the club but in red is how it currently stands. We still have to show it on the ground for a good period of time before its ticked off the list.

Until we do they are still weaknesses that we need to fill. Whether from the current list that steps up or brought in further down the track.

We are where we are & its not fair accompli that promise turns to long term strengths in those areas of the ground.

True enough but not regarding inside/outside mids IMO. We've got proven quality in that area. It's depth in both ball winners and runners we need but even that's starting to look OK.

Yep agree with that. We have young quality at the top end in the middle. Leysy is very comfortable to say Chimp & Martin are probably the two best young mids in the land.

As you say we need depth in that area now & lots of it. We're far from there yet, but hopefully some to come through & some we get in the future to add to that area.

We've got the hard part though.

From today's The Hard Yards' article.

Dimma's Bright Lights

Brad Helbig
I'm a bit of a Helbig fan with the way he plays. He's aggressive and has put on some really good size.