Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

Helbig had a game he would rather forget last night but for those watching the coburg game yesterday how could you justify calling for hislops promotion as in the second half hislop was hardly sighted?

Helbig and Farmer both seemed to suffer from lack of match practice. You could see what they were trying to do but they just weren't getting there. Isn't it a pity you just can't turn a dial and have players come into a side for a full game and they play at the AFL level as if they hadn't ever been gone.
Helbig got a lot of the pill which is good, he butchered it which is bad - you only get so many chances. I wouldn't drop him on that performance but he needs to do better if he wants to slowly iron out the mistakes if he wants to stay up.

shows some good signs but not ready, makes too many mistakes - needs to play some regular games in coburg. Webberly should be in the side.

yandb said:
Helbig had a game he would rather forget last night but for those watching the coburg game yesterday how could you justify calling for hislops promotion as in the second half hislop was hardly sighted?

Did you watch the whole game??

Yes, he did have a quieter 2nd half but 3 goals playing primarily as a mid and the fact that he got the ball all over the ground he showed something.

Very tough at the ball, something Hardwick strives for and was one of the main reasons we were in it at halftime against a better opposition.

Oh, and yes, he has been named in the best for the last 5 weeks so yes, he would be the rookie up for promotion next I would say.

Having said that, Contin showed some good signs too.

Can hold his head high. When he went to Zaharakis at the start of the night I thought we were in for a long night but individually he did well and it wasn't really his fault. Faded out of the game but would think it's a fitness issue.

Yeah he showed a bit tonight, composure was alot better tonight. There's a spot in the team if he wants it.

Tigers of Old said:
Another of my positives for the night as well as Batchelor and Griffiths.
Thought he showed some improved signs.
Yes showed he has something to work with for tyhe future. What I liked most is that he loooked to take the game on. Not many ofr his mates were keen.

not sold completely on him but give him a few years. COuld become a player who develops alot and surprises us...

Hungry4footy said:
Did some nice things under pressure tonight, particularly in the first half. Showing some progress and I like his hardness at the footy.

Yes - agreed. I think he might be a bit of a keeper. Can't wait till he fills out and puts that hardness to some real use around the packs.

His best game so far. Apart from the kick that put Houli under pressure late in the 3rd.

Those basic errors that cost us goals are killing us.

Barnzy said:
Can hold his head high. When he went to Zaharakis at the start of the night I thought we were in for a long night but individually he did well and it wasn't really his fault. Faded out of the game but would think it's a fitness issue.

Yeah, my heart dropped with that match up. But did really well. Happy for him to learn the craft from the back half. We haven't developed a footballer that has learnt the game from the back flank or pocket in 15 years.

Happy for Helbig and Batch to take two of the back six for the last portion of the year.

Like him a lot. Give him another couple of pre-seasons and I think he'll do well.

SCOOP said:
Yeah, my heart dropped with that match up. But did really well. Happy for him to learn the craft from the back half. We haven't developed a footballer that has learnt the game from the back flank or pocket in 15 years.

Happy for Helbig and Batch to take two of the back six for the last portion of the year.

Conca? Deledio? Grigg? Houli?

MightyTiger said:
Conca? Deledio? Grigg? Houli?

Let me clarify, I would like lie to see youngsters learn the game from the back flank and then advance into becoming full time mids. Not just flankers. Think Chris Newman is a classic example, early in his AFL life was not given enough time forward of centre to let his foot skills loose and become a midfielder.

I would hope Conca and Helbig become full time mids and not just flankers.

Tigers of Old said:
Another of my positives for the night as well as Batchelor and Griffiths.
Thought he showed some improved signs.

Yep,agree ToO! Throw Vickery in there as well.