Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

2011 GWS had 11 of the first 14 picks. 2012 they had 5 of the first 14. 2013 they had 3 top 14.
3 years. 10 top 5 draft picks. 19 too 14 picks.
Anything to show for it?
Well no but apart from their "foundation years" from their 1st finals in 16 they have reached the finals in all but 2 so 6/8 which could be 7/9 this year.One reason why is they rebuild on the run.They give up players for an extra 1st rnd.
Basically 2 1st rnds each year keeps you up there.
All they're missing is a coach who can find that missing ingredient .

We have that oppotunity to do it this year if we're brave enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry Carts, not bold or ruthless. Just plain simple madness to punt a potential top 10 player in the comp!

re: top ten player in the comp, I agree that he is absolutely a superstar but not at the moment. certainly not top ten.

he is in a top four team.

hence incredibly valuable to others, hence the opportunity to find requisite return.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Shai Bolton is 25. If we're not planning to be a top-4 team before he's 30 we should give it away.

Reactions: 4 users
yes and you can add trades to the toolbox, the point still stands FFS

folks around here trying to sagely nod and say "well drafting isn't the only way"

if it was up to them we would use picks 1 and 21, recruit 2 x collier-dawkins and call it a day
You've managed to combine a big dose of gaslighting, bait and switch and straw men all in one. Not bad. One thing you can't be accused of is being unpredictable.

re: top ten player in the comp, I agree that he is absolutely a superstar but not at the moment. certainly not top ten.

he is in a top four team.

hence incredibly valuable to others, hence the opportunity to find requisite return.
Reckon at his best, absolutely top 10.

You've managed to combine a big dose of gaslighting, bait and switch and straw men all in one. Not bad. One thing you can't be accused of is being unpredictable.
Well if you can’t see the main point behind the harmless theatricality (draft first, trade and FA as needed later) I can’t help you.

What picks are we gonna get by trading up? Picks in the 20s at best. These are good picks but not enough. We need Blair to be super bold this draft and next.

Bolton needs to go.

You've already be shown but you refuse to believe anyone opinion as you seem to hold yourself in a much higher regard than anyone elses opinion despite your track record. Remember in 2016/17 you also suggested the nuclear option, to trade out Cotchin, Martin, Rance etc. How well would that have gone?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You've already be shown but you refuse to believe anyone opinion as you seem to hold yourself in a much higher regard than anyone elses opinion despite your track record. Remember in 2016/17 you also suggested the nuclear option, to trade out Cotchin, Martin, Rance etc. How well would that have gone?

what are you talking about? i was down on Hardwick after what he delivered in 2016 but thought our list had vast potential. this is the baseless argument of the desperate lol

you've been overrating our list for months now, if it was up to you you'd stick fat with what we've got and happily watch us hold up the ladder for a decade.

what are you talking about? i was down on Hardwick after what he delivered in 2016 but thought our list had vast potential.

you've been overrating our list for months now, if it was up to you you'd stick fat with what we've got and happily watch us hold up the ladder for a decade.
You obviously don't read the draft thread, Posh is the player/ draft pick trading Rumplestiltskin.

Wasn’t the claim that we were wasting their best years and the only way up was to burn it all down and start again?

Wasn’t the claim that we were wasting their best years and the only way up was to burn it all down and start again?

feel free to show me where I was down on our list and I'll concede the point, but I only remember losing patience with hardwick

I defended the list with Lamb22, i remember it pretty well

lol ok i simply assumed, fair enough

pray tell me then what you think of the list (i still reckon I know)
We gotta rebuild it, thats what I think. Not enough elite young players, its the fundamental structural flaw we need to address, and will address, via early draft picks, particularly this year but also the next 2 or 3. Its self-evident.

what are you talking about? i was down on Hardwick after what he delivered in 2016 but thought our list had vast potential. this is the baseless argument of the desperate lol

When have ever suggested that? You are the gaslighting superfreak.

I've said for a number of years now (you can go back and check if you desire), that we are essentially doing a reverse listbuild to the way we built our premiership list. We have brought in role players, as they have been the picks we have been dealt, but we need to draft the superstars. I haven't said anything about our list being perfectly good and we just amble along nicely.

Whilst you are all in on this nuclear approach, I took a look at our high end draft picks that we had when we won the premiership in 2017. In terms of top 10's, we had Cotch (2), Dusty (3), Prestia (6 - via trade), Caddy (7- via trade) and Vlastuin (9). We then had the likes of Jack (13), Edwards (26), Rioli (15) that were good picks (I do remember many on here not liking the Rioli pick, that he was only picked that high because of his name) that supplemented the list.

You don't need a huge abundance of top end draft picks, you need the right ones, you need the right key forwards and you need the playing style to win, but you also need that hardcore mentality to win.

You seem to think the best idea is just to throw as many high end draft picks at a board and see how many stick, that approach doesn't work. Please show me the last premier that had a list profile like that. I'd hazard a guess that most follow a similar list profile to what we won with.

Reactions: 1 users
Interestingly in today's Gettable on the AFL website with regards to Shai Bolton that Cal Twomey said that -

"Freo is still chasing him and he wants to get back to Western Australia. He (Shai) will pursue this."