Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

What picks are we gonna get by trading up? Picks in the 20s at best. These are good picks but not enough. We need Blair to be super bold this draft and next.

Bolton needs to go.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Do people really think we're going to trade our best mid 20yo players, Bolton, Rioli, Graham, Baker leaving nothing left in a 4 year age group? We're really reaching the realms of fantasy land now. Our focus will be on retiring the older players and using our current picks to acquire higher picks and remove some of the deadwood, not to decimate the quality of our list. Makes no sense and is a fallacy. Club has indicated previously that we're aiming for 2 or 3 first round draft picks.

I am wary of trading Rioli.

Baker is overrated. There, I said it. I’ll continue that in his thread.

Bolton is a jewel that will never be as valuable as it is now. We don’t need the jewel, he is not contributing to our next push anytime soon.

That still leaves us with Balta, Rioli, Taranto, etc

There’s still plenty there, we’re not tearing a hole in the space time continuum lol

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Facts, logic and reason drives the debate, gaslighting is obnoxious and irritating.
You are overly sensitive

Me saying that keeping our eminently tradable players is “conservative” is hardly antagonistic

Get your hand off it

Reactions: 1 user
It's true Bolton's goal kicking accuracy isn't great but not really fair comparing the two as Bolton does a truckload more work on the ground as he spends a reasonable amount of midfield time as opposed to a full-time forward. Overall Bolton's season and career stats are free superior to Stengle's.
I'll cut Shai a bit of slack for the "truckload more work on the ground" that he does. I watch Stengel closely, he doesn't just hang around the forward pocket, he gets a up the ground a lot, it doesn't seen to effect his accuracy.

Can't think of any other highly skilled Tiger that has frustrated me as much as Shai, and I am pushing 60.

Reactions: 2 users
You are overly sensitive

Me saying that keeping our eminently tradable players is “conservative” is hardly antagonistic

Get your hand off it
he's been doing it all day!

That was just one in a conga line of irritating gaslighting dismissals. By pretending it was a single case, is just more of it. But to be clear, its annoyong

he's been doing it all day!

That was just one in a conga line of irritating gaslighting dismissals. By pretending it was a single case, is just more of it. But to be clear, its annoyong
Carter and the Baron are the same glorious entity

Pumping out gaslight bullets with gleeful abandon

I'll cut Shai a bit of slack for the "truckload more work on the ground" that he does. I watch Stengel closely, he doesn't just hang around the forward pocket, he gets a up the ground a lot, it doesn't seen to effect his accuracy.
I guarantee you Bolton does a lot more gut running than Stengle in a typical game due to his position. Below is heat map of their last couple of games. You can also see typically many disposals are quite close to goal for Stengle which also aids with accuracy. I think you'll find most of the mids have poorer conversion rates for the reason of fatigue in the moment. I just don't think it' s a fair comparison acknowledging that Bolton does need to do better in that area.

Stengle
Screenshot_2024-07-30-13-01-46-43_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpgScreenshot_2024-07-30-13-12-53-21_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpgBoltonScreenshot_2024-07-30-13-02-46-08_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg
Screenshot_2024-07-30-13-11-51-49_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg

I am wary of trading Rioli.

Baker is overrated. There, I said it. I’ll continue that in his thread.

Bolton is a jewel that will never be as valuable as it is now. We don’t need the jewel, he is not contributing to our next push anytime soon.

That still leaves us with Balta, Rioli, Taranto, etc

There’s still plenty there, we’re not tearing a hole in the space time continuum lol
If Baker, Bolton, Graham & Rioli leave (which is what I was referring to) this is what we're left with in the 23 to 27 year old age group. God help us.

Screenshot_2024-07-30-13-23-19-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If Baker, Bolton, Graham & Rioli leave (which is what I was referring to) this is what we're left with in the 23 to 27 year old age group. God help us.

View attachment 23635
So be it.

With an influx of good kids you are forgetting that we will have cap space for astute FA.

When the time is right.

Like we did with Meatball, Nank and Caddy

So be it.

With an influx of good kids you are forgetting that we will have cap space for astute FA.

When the time is right.

Like we did with Meatball, Nank and Caddy
No I'm not forgetting. I just don't think the Tigers are going to offload 4 players of similar age to only leave us with 2 of the same type of midfielders on 7 year contracts and a gun backman being turned into a forward as our only half-decent representatives in that age bracket. I don't think our contracted players are going anywhere. I can possibly see Baker or Graham moving on. We'll know in time. 21 players uncontracted for 2025 to make decisions on.

I guarantee you Bolton does a lot more gut running than Stengle in a typical game due to his position. Below is heat map of their last couple of games. You can also see typically many disposals are quite close to goal for Stengle which also aids with accuracy. I think you'll find most of the mids have poorer conversion rates for the reason of fatigue in the moment. I just don't think it' s a fair comparison acknowledging that Bolton does need to do better in that area.
Fatigue is part of it, technique the main factor.

What are you hoping to trade Shai for and which players are you hoping to draft with those picks?
I am not across the pool but I would hope our recruiting staff would start building the list back up

I reckon we'll go big-bodied mids but who knows

All 3 of those were trades not free agency.
yes and you can add trades to the toolbox, the point still stands FFS

folks around here trying to sagely nod and say "well drafting isn't the only way"

if it was up to them we would use picks 1 and 21, recruit 2 x collier-dawkins and call it a day

• Haha
  • Dislike