Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

until i see see the bell ringing for official close of trade and that greg miller is nowhere near a fax machine, i will not believe anyone is safely in the fold.

bolton may want to stay, but that is simply a "nice" thing to hear. hartley and co have already begun shadow-boxing with other clubs and a hundred twists are bound to lie ahead.

Reactions: 6 users
I'd be curious as to what constitutes 'an exceptional draft package' from Freo's perspective.

dunno, but I reckon you'de need probably 4 top 10 picks,

to overcome the odds that you wont get two players

as good as $hai and Bakes.

and then those 4 kids have to re-sign after winning 6 games across their first 3 year contract,

because their midfield mentors have been Thomson Dow, Jack Ross and Jack Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
While I look at this as a positive, things change so fast these days.

Good on Bolton for saying he wants to stick around.

Could have easily kicked 7 on the weekend and it wasn't even in his ten best games.

Has kicked 5 points three times and four goals five times. Strange set of numbers.
So let's compare him to Mansell because if Bolton leaves we are left with a bloke that averages less a goal a game and less then 10 possessions a game.
Simply put if Bolton goes we won't score more then 5 goals a game for the next 3yrs.

Reactions: 1 users
While I look at this as a positive, things change so fast these days.

Good on Bolton for saying he wants to stick around.

Could have easily kicked 7 on the weekend and it wasn't even in his ten best games.

Has kicked 5 points three times and four goals five times. Strange set of numbers.
For a player of his immense talent to have only kicked a career high of 4 goals is bizarre. I know that he spends some time onball, but still.

Waiting for the day where it all comes together and he kicks 8.

So let's compare him to Mansell because if Bolton leaves we are left with a bloke that averages less a goal a game and less then 10 possessions a game.
Simply put if Bolton goes we won't score more then 5 goals a game for the next 3yrs.
at least you will have something to post about on a weekend Zips

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Now that we know Shai Bolton is happy at Richmond and isn’t leaving, this would be a good opportunity for Shai to get on the front foot, show some leadership by pulling Dan Rioli and Baker into a room, and tell them that they are now the senior players and they need to stick together through this rebuild.
Doesn't really sound like something Bolton would do. He strikes me as a 'go with the flow' sort of a guy.

Back flankers are a dime a dozen. Danny's done a fantastic job as a forward and Bakes can go if he wishes. Let them go if that is what they want.

If has 4 yrs left on his contract and he hss told the club he committed on to staying.
why is the media continuing bringing him up for trade???
If asks for a trade then I expected gold in return 2 1st rounders under pick 10.
Or a pick under 5 and Young

For a player of his immense talent to have only kicked a career high of 4 goals is bizarre. I know that he spends some time onball, but still.

Waiting for the day where it all comes together and he kicks 8.
Long wait coming, even the Dusty one hasn't managed an 8 while we were champs. Nor has Shai managed even a 5 in that time. Well be gimping along with a broken axle n bent wheels for a few years so bags of goals will be similar to rocking horse poop.

Why would he go anywhere? We’ve signed him up for so long (and undoubtedly on very good coin).

Contract doesn’t expire til end of 2028. That means he’s not really compelled to play good footy until the new contract negotiations begin in 2027 at the earliest…

I think one thing Yze has to decide going into 2025 is where does Bolton play ?

IMHO I think for his sake and the teams I think we need to lock him into either a permanent forward role or a permanent midfield role with just the odd 5 minute pinch hit .

With Dusty most likely not playing at Punt rd next season that allows Bolton to play his more natural pure attacking role .

Not sure what is Bolton’s best role and not sure what’s best for the team as we have holes in both departments as well as Shai been in our best couple in both , I think I’d lean towards him becoming more permanent forward , though he misses a few sitters , he still gets more shots at goal then most and will always be a tough match up .

Besides the obvious deficiencies we have with our midfield, we must ad 2 way running mids , can’t have one way running mids who are not elite kicks .

We need to make the most out of one of our best players to become competitive again

He's an enigma, $hai.
Flawed genius (someone mentioned).
Just like the big lovable Rogue Richo.
He seems disintersted as times, then turns the jets on and looks good.
Then kicks it out on the full or misses a soda from right in front.

As abominable as he has been in some games, he's actually our leading Goalkicker.
26 Goals.
2nd on the list are Nigel and Myki on 14.
Big Balls on 11.
Dusty and ArkMan on 10.

Prob need to keep him and take the good with the bad.
I don't think he's gonna change the way he plays.

Happy to offload Fridge and Shorty.
Shorty for a "Leader" has been really poor.
Turnover merchant.

Still undecided on Big Balls and The Prince. (two of my favourite players).
Keep Bolts.

Why would he go anywhere? We’ve signed him up for so long (and undoubtedly on very good coin).

Contract doesn’t expire til end of 2028. That means he’s not really compelled to play good footy until the new contract negotiations begin in 2027 at the earliest…
Jayden Short says "hello!"...

Yep Save the long contracts for the A graders. Hollywood and Shorty never developed into A graders. Too many flaws. Hopper was taken with a rush of blood after Taranto.
You wear them for a long time if you make a mistake.

Definitely staying is Papa Shai. His partner's just announced she's pregnant.....hopefully another boy.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users