Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

turk-d-tiger said:
Bullus id like us to get the 3 B's if possible and naish doesnt attract a bid

Brander
Balta
Bonar
Next to no chance of that, but two of them plus Bailey (Zac) would do nicely.

Bully an co who would be your tall that can end up been a 200 gamer that may get through to our pick ? , from what I'm reading it doesn't appear there is any real super talent tall this year, however you never know

bullus_hit said:
All the talls bar Naughton have plummeted, reckon our premiership structure has been a major catalyst.

We’ve absolutely flipped the script. Reckon Jack Higgins is 20% more valuable after our win. He is the perfect beast for modern pressure.

I’ll be happy wiht one of Brander/Balta. If we somehow get both, lookout.

CC TIGER said:
Bully an co who would be your tall that can end up been a 200 gamer that may get through to our pick ? , from what I'm reading it doesn't appear there is any real super talent tall this year, however you never know

Brander and Balta the best bets. Balta has a lot of Trent Corad to his game, at the very least he is athletic enough to play third back and build as Grimes replacement. Brander is a strange one at times looks first class but does appear to coast at times. I prefer Balta.

Must get at least two talls: Naughton, Brander, Balta, Taylor (196) or Kreuger (196) in that order would be awesome.
Three with a late pick sets us up for a long time.

turk-d-tiger said:
Bullus id like us to get the 3 B's if possible and naish doesnt attract a bid

Brander
Balta
Bonar

Happy with that but Bonar looking like a top 15 pick.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Hi

Will there be a lot of quality in the draft left when pick 50 comes around.
I don’t mean the odd slider like jack Graham.

Your inbox is full too. You can’t get PMs.

Inbox sorted.

Not a huge amount of depth around 50. Worpel is the Graham barometer and I think he goes at 30-40. I would be focusing on the state leagues or grabbing a project tall. Mclean is one I like around this pick.

CC TIGER said:

Brander is the safest in my opinion. Have been saying it all year but he's not a defender. Shades of Parfitt who was stuffed about by poor coaching. Balta could potentially be the best tall in the pool. He could even do a Bont if everything clicks. He already has a 30 possession game to his name.

SCOOP said:
We’ve absolutely flipped the script. Reckon Jack Higgins is 20% more valuable after our win. He is the perfect beast for modern pressure.

I’ll be happy wiht one of Brander/Balta. If we somehow get both, lookout.

Brander and Balta the best bets. Balta has a lot of Trent Corad to his game, at the very least he is athletic enough to play third back and build as Grimes replacement. Brander is a strange one at times looks first class but does appear to coast at times. I prefer Balta.

Just hoping Clarke sees things the same. Ballenden is another who has come crashing down to earth.

Reckon we double down on speed and pressure and recruit a few more of these types. Need to keep the advantage over other teams who'll be looking for these types. Also need to find small and medium half backs that can absorb and are good under this type of pressure. Need to keep a step ahead.

gehring said:
Must get at least two talls: Naughton, Brander, Balta, Taylor (196) or Kreuger (196) in that order would be awesome.
Three with a late pick sets us up for a long time.

I really like Taylor too, would consider pick 25 if the others are off the board.

My calculations suggest (and they may be wrong) that I f there’s a bid for Naish at 26, we are going into deficit 143.2 points.

Can you go into deficit that much?

Which pick would that come off next year?
We are already down a third rounder in 2018.

DirtyDogTiger said:
My calculations suggest (and they may be wrong) that I f there’s a bid for Naish at 26, we are going into deficit 143.2 points.

Can you go into deficit that much?

Which pick would that come off next year?
We are already down a third rounder in 2018.

If the bid is in the second round any deficit would come off our second round pick. 92 points would see it fall about 5 places if we finish top 4.

In any case 26, 27 and 28 are held by interstate clubs so more likely (go home factor) the bid will come at 29 Melbourne or 30 Carlton

slightly off topic, apparently we are having a look

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-23/who-wants-a-ready-made-204cm-112kg-ruck

TigerPort said:
If the bid is in the second round any deficit would come off our second round pick. 92 points would see it fall about 5 places if we finish top 4.

In any case 26, 27 and 28 are held by interstate clubs so more likely (go home factor) the bid will come at 29 Melbourne or 30 Carlton

the discount for second/third/fourth round is 197:

The points for pick 53 (233) and pick 55 (207).

X - 197 - 233 - 207.
X - 637.
So any bid after pick 30 won’t put us in deficit and will cost us the picks in R3 & R4.

What happens if we match a bid at 16 with our 17? Does our next pick at 20 come forward?

Why did the Afl change the f/s setup . Sure Geelong had a dream run but can't think of other clubs who had multiple f/s picks that all turned into guns . Certainly not us

Kaelan said:
Why did the Afl change the f/s setup . Sure Geelong had a dream run but can't think of other clubs who had multiple f/s picks that all turned into guns . Certainly not us
They've changed it many times. Used to be 50 games for Dad to qualify - Jono Brown's dad played 51 games for Fitzroy. Used to be a second-rounder, which is what we would have had to pay for Jason Cloke (pick 25 - Mark Coughlan). By the time of Trav's draft it was a third-rounder. The Bulldogs got Libba and Wallis - both considered possible top-10 picks - with their second and third rounders in 2010 (pick 22 and 41). No points, just use your next pick.

Hawkins would have gone pick 1 in an open draft, Geelong got him for pick 41. With today's system, they would have had to match a bid with pick 7 and thus wouldn't have Selwood. It was a massive kiss on the *smile*. Even once they introduced bidding for f/sons and academy players, initially clubs just had to use their next pick, so Sydney got Heeney for pick 18 and Essendon Daniher for pick 10, without the loss of further draft picks they'd have now (both players would have gone top-2 in their drafts - Daniher #1 for sure).

Today's system - albeit the points being somewhat arbitrary - is the fairest, while keeping the romance of it.