Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Tigers of Old said:
Cheers Gyps & Bully. Good work.
Just one last Q..I get a bit wary of flankers & we have a lot of them. Has he spent much if any time in the midfield?
Could he make that transition in time or could something like his reported heart condition hold him back here?
We've already got Bolton (& possibly Naish) for X Factor up fwd. Do we need to add to that pile or are there more pressing needs to secure first (ie tall forward).
Appreciate yours & Bullys thoughts.

Last 6 games of the season he averaged 28 touches, 4 clearances, 6 tackles and earnt 50% of his disposals in contested situations. Capped that off with a BOG in the All-Stars match, 22 disposals & 3 goals. To put all this into perspective, Dow averaged 22 for the year and he's a likely top 3 pick. The two players with the biggest upside are Rayner & Stephenson, both have physical question marks but both could be A grade match winners. The difference being one will be picked at the top of the tree and the other will be a late first rounder.

bullus_hit said:
The difference being one will be picked at the top of the tree and the other will be a late first rounder.
And is that just down purely to Stephenson's heart condition?

Smoking Aces said:
And is that just down purely to Stephenson's heart condition?

Yep, I'm no doctor but it seems clubs are running scared for all the wrong reasons. Christiano Ronaldo has a heart condition, Jacob Hopper does as well. In the end he passed the AFL's internal assessment and that's all that counts.

bullus_hit said:
Yep, I'm no doctor but it seems clubs are running scared for all the wrong reasons. Christiano Ronaldo has a heart condition, Jacob Hopper does as well. In the end he passed the AFL's internal assessment and that's all that counts.

Not getting onto the ground in AFL game v playing 100 AFL games plus will be what counts in the long term.

Eat the rich said:
So we lose a 30yr old Deledio, win the Premiership, and draft an 18yr old Deledio with pick 17?

2017, What a ****** good year to be alive!

They should extend 2017 by another 12 months

I remember that Josh Caddy was supposed to have a heart condition.

Look at him now - Premiership player! Maybe his heart was just oversized.

TigerTribe5 said:
I remember that Josh Caddy was supposed to have a heart condition.

Look at him now - Premiership player! Maybe his heart was just oversized.
That was Josh Toy.

If everyone else bypasses Stephenson why would we take him out of interest? Wouldn't we have a similar view? For so many teams to bypass him there'd have to be serious concerns.

tigerlove said:
If everyone else bypasses Stephenson why would we take him out of interest? Wouldn't we have a similar view? For so many teams to bypass him there'd have to be serious concerns.

I think clubs want or need more time to assess the combine findings. Doctors being doctors will have a variety of opinions, I've heard there's even some test results that won't be released until after the draft. With 3 picks in the top 25 we're best placed to take the gamble, but that gamble may be minimal given the AFL has cleared him to play.

We are in a position like no other club to take the risk on Stephenson. It could be a high risk high reward move but we are the premiers. have a young list and potentially 4 picks in the first 30. Saints etc can’t take risks but we can if he is available take him

Letsroar said:
We are in a position like no other club to take the risk on Stephenson. It could be a high risk high reward move but we are the premiers. have a young list and potentially 4 picks in the first 30. Saints etc can’t take risks but we can if he is available take him

GWS, Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast all top teams would bypass him. Bulldogs, Saints, Fremantle, Brisbane all with 2 picks before our first pick. Surely one of these teams would take the risk before our pick unless there really is a serious issue at hand? I'd love us to outsmart all the other teams but it seems unlikely to me that 11 teams would by pass him. I guess we'll see.

Well there are heart conditions and heart conditions.
I remember Nathan Eagleton collapsed during a game. I think he had a condition called SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) ie abnormally fast heart beat, which can be rectified fairly easily.
He went on to have a decent career.

Others with similar heart. conditions to Stephenson include Alex Vilis hereand Jayden Pitt here
who had to give the game away

Apparently Stephenson has a condition (I believe it to be) called Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which (has been explained as) basically hardens the walls of the heart and which can present a risk for prolonged and sustained exercise over a long period of time.
Some test results won't be available until after the draft, which is why some clubs are wary. But apparently, from preliminary tests, the afl medicos have cleared him. Maybe with the 3 picks under 25, we have were prepared to take the chance. High risk, high reward maybe.
Interesting to see how tomorrow night pans out

Letsroar said:

What is the heart condition he has, does anyone know?

Possibly a nodal or re entrant supraventricular tachyarrhythmia (SVT) or accessory pathway arrhythmia like Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome that can contribute to the onset of ventricular tachyarrhythmias which can be life threatening.

Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome is not uncommon in younger population especially in the 18-25 year group.

Both of these conditions may be managed via a procedure known as Ablation where the offending site/s or accessory pathways leading to abnormal function in the hearts electrical conduction system are actually killed off via freezing cryonic, or burnt thus stopping the abnormal electrical functions restoring normal function and output.

It could also be a problem with an irregular heart beat which becomes problematic when exertion requires it to perform at a greater expectancy such as Atrial Fibrillation.

Josh Toy i believe well IIRC actually had a Heart Block which is simply a disconnetion within his hearts normal electrical circuitry which requires the heart to run at a slower inherent rate than a normal functiong heart as the pace maker site within the heart normally operates anywhere between 20-30-40 beats per minute less than a normal inherent heart rate of 60 or more beats per minute.

Some heart blocks may be so severe that the sufferer is sustained only on a heart rate of 30 beats or less per minute which can becomes quite problematic when physical exertion is invloved as the heart cannot increase its heart rate to meet the demand for circulation of extra oxygenated blood.

Lesser Atrial /Ventricular blocks such as a first degree Heart Block are not requisite of any intervention or treatment on most part but can become an issue with elite sport or even social exertion. I think this was Toys problem, and in the end for him the ends didnt justify the means and thats understandable.

For more serious heartblocks Pace Maker Insertion is required to maintain normal levels of Heart function and output.

There can also be issues with Heart Valve function also which is another issue all together.

willo said:
Well there are heart conditions and heart conditions.
I remember Nathan Eagleton collapsed during a game. I think he had a condition called SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) ie abnormally fast heart beat, which can be rectified fairly easily.
He went on to have a decent career.

Others with similar heart. conditions to Stephenson include Alex Vilis hereand Jayden Pitt here
who had to give the game away

Apparently Stephenson has a condition (I believe it to be) called Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which (has been explained as) basically hardens the walls of the heart and which can present a risk for prolonged and sustained exercise over a long period of time.
Some test results won't be available until after the draft, which is why some clubs are wary. But apparently, from preliminary tests, the afl medicos have cleared him. Maybe with the 3 picks under 25, we have were prepared to take the chance. High risk, high reward maybe.
Interesting to see how tomorrow night pans out
It may not even be high risk. Could legitimately be completely fine

OK in simplistic terms this is what i think.

We had picks #15 & #17
We would have been extremely happy (over the moon to be exact) If we could have used these 2 selections before we had to select Patrick Naish
We would have also creamed ourselves if these 2 picks would get us Brander & Balta and use the 2 3rd rounders on Naish

The club in its wisdom managed to trade #15 for #20 & #25
Now we have 3 picks #17,#20,#25 and with #20 we can possibly still get Brander & #25 We can still get Balta or Hayes or Taylor or Ballard
So we are still getting the 2 players that we initially wanted + Naish ---- WOWWW

Now due to the smart dealing that our trade people we have 1 extra pick - Nothing to lose and have a Free hit at Stephenson

Just a few months ago people were saying Brander,Stephenson,Balta,Hayes were all top 10 picks

We could effectively end up with a trade of
Out: Deledio
In: Brander & Stephenson