Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

easy said:
Only 3 more sleeps until Christmas.

Our first ever draft as Premiers isnt it?

so is it time we write our dear santa letters?

Dear Footy Santa,

17 - Oscar Allen
20 - Noah Balta
25 - Paddy Naishy,

Ive been really good,

e,t

We need Naish +25. I want another onballer (inside or outside) plus Paddy Naish.

Huge opportunity to build Friday, get the next generation really moving. It’s never been a better time to be a Tiger supporter.

Media reports have Jack Higgins locked into Sydney at 14. Makes sense. Richmond impact.

SCOOP said:
We need Naish +25. I want another onballer (inside or outside) plus Paddy Naish.

Huge opportunity to build Friday, get the next generation really moving. It’s never been a better time to be a Tiger supporter.

Media reports have Jack Higgins locked into Sydney at 14. Makes sense. Richmond impact.

Jack has been undersold all year and that's a bargain. Fact: Higgins has smashed the all-time Champion Data average with 145 points per match, this is over 32 games. Pure footballer and despite the height is a lock for a long career. If he was there at 17 it would take a lot for me to pull back.

can see the swans taking higgins. jack is gone. one true small forward in papley, who is more opportunistic then pressure minded.
plus they have a need for speed. mids are slowing. rohan isnt consistent, zak jones is all they have.
higgins would be a good fit, or even someone like lochie obrien or richards might be the answer
swans will be putting it all on while Buddy is the good side of the hill.

f i'm gws then im looking hard at higgins. their time is now and they need defensive / pressure efforts.
not convinced they could take bonar

good news for us that i see teams will take a short term outlook

bullus_hit said:
Jack has been undersold all year and that's a bargain. Fact: Higgins has smashed the all-time Champion Data average with 145 points per match, this is over 32 games. Pure footballer and despite the height is a lock for a long career. If he was there at 17 it would take a lot for me to pull back.

I think GWS should take him at 11. There isn’t a better player/club match in this draft then GWS/Higggins.

SCOOP said:
I think GWS should take him at 11. There isn’t a better player/club match in this draft then GWS/Higggins.

Agree, I would be really surprised to see them overlook him, unless of course they snatch a slider like Stephenson.

bullus_hit said:
The small mid seem to fall out of favour for a few years , thinking back to Caruso , that was until Daniel came along, it appears the contested ball beast and the big doofus rucks both appear to be off limits in the first 20-30 picks nowadays?

bullus_hit said:
Agree, I would be really surprised to see them overlook him, unless of course they snatch a slider like Stephenson.

I’d STILL overlook the slider for Higgins. GWS are in desperate need of skilled footballers who do the dirty work and they need people to do that now. In 2018 Higgins can play the Castagna/Rioli/Bulter chase dirty work footballer along with Toby Greene. They have to pick him to help them win now. They are close to winning it all but need to redefine what they do without the ball.

That’s why I could easily see us taking Jack Petruccelle at 25 if we haven’t had a bid on Naish. Doubling down on speed and chase down ability.

bullus_hit said:

Stats don't lie. Recruiters are human. They get caught up in aesthetics. Doesn't matter how pretty you look, its how effective you are.
You'd have to wonder how they would rate Mitchell and Williams in today's draft. Higgins is a lock. Will be a very good player barring injury.

CC TIGER said:
The small mid seem to fall out of favour for a few years , thinking back to Caruso , that was until Daniel came along, it appears the contested ball beast and the big doofus rucks both appear to be off limits in the first 20-30 picks nowadays?

yep - Cant run, cant play.

CC TIGER said:

Yep, pretty much. The litmus test this year will be Worpel & Coleman-Jones. I think with Jack Graham proving the doubters wrong we may see a paradigm shift. The doofus rucks were also replaced with the athletic beanpoles for awhile, Sean Darcy may change that as well. Seems like shedding weight is more time effective than piling on muscle. I've generally been on the Ryder, Dean Cox, Nic Nat bandwagon unless they were above 205cm, I'm starting to change my views.

mtench said:
Balta or Brander or both if available?

Balta, not sure about Brander but I'm guessing we'd be interested.

SCOOP said:
I’d STILL overlook the slider for Higgins. GWS are in desperate need of skilled footballers who do the dirty work and they need people to do that now. In 2018 Higgins can play the Castagna/Rioli/Bulter chase dirty work footballer along with Toby Greene. They have to pick him to help them win now. They are close to winning it all but need to redefine what they do without the ball.

That’s why I could easily see us taking Jack Petruccelle at 25 if we haven’t had a bid on Naish. Doubling down on speed and chase down ability.

Big upside with Petruccelle, I'd look at him (have him ranked at 24). We could also look at someone like Mitch Crowden who's defensive pressure is huge. I'm guessing you haven't seen too much of Kyron Hayden either, he was the only bloke who stood up to Rayner at the carnival, modern day battering ram who hasn't had a preseason and didn't even train with the state squad. Plenty of value with our junk picks.

SCOOP said:

I'm okay with Petrucelle at 25 for that reason, Scoop. But his football ability is still miles off. Higgins is the opposite. Football ability is off the charts, speed a query for someone his size. I always stick with condemning Miers for this reason but I can't help but fall back in love with Jack everytime I watch him.

If we lose the 25 pick due to a Naish bid or maybe continue to develop the midfield with a bloke like Worpel at that spot, I'd happily take Starcevich with one of our picks in the 50s to double down on speed as you suggest.

King Kong said:
I'll PM you Smoking, as I don't want to upset the 2 Lady boys that hang out on this thread

KING KOng, a pm on this issue to me will be appreciated

Gypsy__Jazz said:
I'm okay with Petrucelle at 25 for that reason, Scoop. But his football ability is still miles off. Higgins is the opposite. Football ability is off the charts, speed a query for someone his size. I always stick with condemning Miers for this reason but I can't help but fall back in love with Jack everytime I watch him.

If we lose the 25 pick due to a Naish bid or maybe continue to develop the midfield with a bloke like Worpel at that spot, I'd happily take Starcevich with one of our picks in the 50s to double down on speed as you suggest.

Starcevich I've placed as a 4th round- rookie, only averaged 14 touches at Colts level which is unusually low. He also needs to work on the tank.

tigerdell said:
can see the swans taking higgins. jack is gone. one true small forward in papley, who is more opportunistic then pressure minded.
plus they have a need for speed. mids are slowing. rohan isnt consistent, zak jones is all they have.
higgins would be a good fit, or even someone like lochie obrien or richards might be the answer
swans will be putting it all on while Buddy is the good side of the hill.

f i'm gws then im looking hard at higgins. their time is now and they need defensive / pressure efforts.
not convinced they could take bonar

good news for us that i see teams will take a short term outlook
You make a good point here, only need to look at some Clubs in trade period like Port Adelaide who are clearly desperate for results. It could all backfire on them spectacularly tho. I don't for a second think Essendon have fixed up thier onball issues either.

The effect of our Flag on others could mean while others are looking to copy things we have done we'll be looking at fixing our list needs. it's a great time for us to strike on some talls for this very reason. it's probably the best chance we'll ever get.

bullus_hit said:
Yep, pretty much. The litmus test this year will be Worpel & Coleman-Jones. I think with Jack Graham proving the doubters wrong we may see a paradigm shift. The doofus rucks were also replaced with the athletic beanpoles for awhile, Sean Darcy may change that as well. Seems like shedding weight is more time effective than piling on muscle. I've generally been on the Ryder, Dean Cox, Nic Nat bandwagon unless they were above 205cm, I'm starting to change my views.

Balta, not sure about Brander but I'm guessing we'd be interested.

Big upside with Petruccelle, I'd look at him (have him ranked at 24). We could also look at someone like Mitch Crowden who's defensive pressure is huge. I'm guessing you haven't seen too much of Kyron Hayden either, he was the only bloke who stood up to Rayner at the carnival, modern day battering ram who hasn't had a preseason and didn't even train with the state squad. Plenty of value with our junk picks.

Re: Rucks, reckon Nankervis has shown there is still room for the big/bustling types in our game also. what he lacks against the athletic rucks he more than makes up for around contests etc. once the ball hits the deck he basically becomes a 4th mid at ctr bounces.