Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Jonesracing82 said:
Just had a squiz at his Draft machine clip, he kicks off both feet which is good.
Nobody has rated him anywhere near our early picks so it would be a massive surprise if we used one of first three picks on him. If we are looking at him with a later pick then that would indicate the club is not expecting to need these picks to make up points for Naish.

Edit: You beat me to it TBH.

BrisTiger24 said:
Bully / Scoop et al - let's say Balta and Allen are gone, Naughton and Brander are available. Who do you choose?

I’d take Brander. See what happens, should fill a need at one end of the ground.

And I wouldn’t take Naughton, not sure in 12 months of VFL footy he’d be that fair ahead of Garthwaite. And you already have one awkward kick coming through the ranks, not sure you can have two. If you were taking one of Naughton or Taylor it would be the latter for me.

Ditto, Scoop. I like Taylor.

If Brander's at 17 I couldn't call his name fast enough (surely he and Bonar couldn't both be there).

Brayden Crossley looks to be the perfect backup for Nank. He is a goldcoast academy but if we bid with a pick in the 20's would they match?

Bit worried about branders performances at tac level, averages 10 disposals, which at any level is below par to have a impact, unless your a new age tiger small forward.
The last guy we had that was pushed up to afl, without been good enough at vfl level was Elton, and he almost never showed anything at any level consistently, to a point that he didn't get a game in our vfl side.
Thinking this will give Hayes a chance to be picked by rfc, if branders shows elite traits like, speed, endurance, etc, then rethink, otherwise stay away.

healp11 said:
Brayden Crossley looks to be the perfect backup for Nank. He is a goldcoast academy but if we bid with a pick in the 20's would they match?
I do like Crossley but I'm not sure we'd get him even if we bid.

Do we take 1, 2 or 3 talls (+Naish) if given the opportunity? What smaller "type" do we consider? Or just best available if we've nabbed our 1 or 2 premium talls?

I'm not sure we should go tall just for the hell of it. There will be talls next year, and we can trade for one or get a free agent like Hawthorn did when required.

Right now we're in the window so if we could add another Jack Graham (e.g. Worpel or Kelly) who improves our bottom 4 immediately, and then maybe we also do the Garthwaite Manoeuvre by selecting an extra tall to develop later in the draft.

Blind Charlie said:
I do like Crossley but I'm not sure we'd get him even if we bid.

Not worth a pick in the 20's we would be over paying big time, There are other Rucks that we could get for nothing really

Jones,Miller,Leek,Amartey (rookie development type)

I like Miller & Jones

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Do we take 1, 2 or 3 talls (+Naish) if given the opportunity? What smaller "type" do we consider? Or just best available if we've nabbed our 1 or 2 premium talls?

I'm not sure we should go tall just for the hell of it. There will be talls next year, and we can trade for one or get a free agent like Hawthorn did when required.

Right now we're in the window so if we could add another Jack Graham (e.g. Worpel or Kelly) who improves our bottom 4 immediately, and then maybe we also do the Garthwaite Manoeuvre by selecting an extra tall to develop later in the draft.

I think a lot would be contingent on where the Naish bid comes, also we need to look at availability and rankings. No point in going tall if we deem others to be vastly better players.

Just read Brett Anderson’s mock, has Brander getting to us at 17, Bailey and Coleman Jones, bid on PN at 27 and Balta going in the 40s, plus us using 78 on Appleby

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

Ideally i'd like at least 2 talls & if no Naish bid at 25 go best available, even if that is another tall. There was an article on the site nobody names about Clubs 1-4 yr players. we lack talls in this area so good time to stock up on them if they are there & have them all come through together. winning a Flag allows us this luxury i reckon. some others can't wait for them to develope & therefore may not take them. good time for us to pounce.

jokershoppe said:
Bit worried about branders performances at tac level, averages 10 disposals, which at any level is below par to have a impact, unless your a new age tiger small forward.
The last guy we had that was pushed up to afl, without been good enough at vfl level was Elton, and he almost never showed anything at any level consistently, to a point that he didn't get a game in our vfl side.
Thinking this will give Hayes a chance to be picked by rfc, if branders shows elite traits like, speed, endurance, etc, then rethink, otherwise stay away.
Brander only played three TAC games this year, in a *smile* side. He averaged 13.5 disposals in an injury-restricted 2016 (four games) and 15.5 disposals and 5 marks at the U/18 championships this year. He has good pace and agility, runs well, marks well and kicks well. Has slid because he didn't dominate as much as people thought he would, and others have risen, but he's still the best key position prospect in the draft. He'll be a bargain anywhere outside the top 10.

CC TIGER said:
Just read Brett Anderson’s mock, has Brander getting to us at 17, Bailey and Coleman Jones, bid on PN at 27 and Balta going in the 40s, plus us using 78 on Appleby
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/20/brett-andersons-2017-afl-mock-draft/

turk-d-tiger said:
Not worth a pick in the 20's we would be over paying big time, There are other Rucks that we could get for nothing really

Jones,Miller,Leek,Amartey (rookie development type)

I like Miller & Jones
Yep, I'd usually agree with you turk because I'm a huge advocate for not taking rucks early in the draft but around 25 for Crossley I'd consider.
I rate the kid and its not very often a kid rucks and holds his own against men whilst still able to play U18's.

spook said:
Ditto, Scoop. I like Taylor.

If Brander's at 17 I couldn't call his name fast enough (surely he and Bonar couldn't both be there).

I think I’d still take Bonar ahead of Brander and hope he was there two picks later.