Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Balta has quite a spring and reach doesnt he?

only seen his reels, which is very much a series of contested marks (=v good)

How is his desire/chase/tackle and how snakey is he?

you want your bigs snakey.

King Kong said:
LOL - Lansberger is the last person I'd listen to. Mental midget with a history of getting draft predictions wrong
So you don’t “listen” to Landsberger but you know he wrote the story in the HUN about Brisbane thinking of taking Brayshaw with pick 1..... :-X

TigerMasochist said:
From all the speculation n variable phantom draft selections it just seems to verify that it's an extremely even draft this year. No outstanding super talents to be fought over for the first few selections, rather a solid pool of talent to choose from with club culture n development to impact how well the youngsters grow and improve their talent.
Seems to be the perfect year to draft with a view for needs rather than simply best available if there's so little difference of perceived capabilities.

Still hoping we get to snaffle the lolly shop by getting our three early selections in before we have to match a call on Naishy.
Agree TM.

I think I’m right saying there was a clear top 4 for most of the year, however now there’s at least another 3 who have been mentioned as possible top 4s . I think it’s Brander who was said to not get past the Pies now there’s talk we could get him, looks like been a very interesting night, will only take one club to throw a spanner in the works an the draft to flip on its head, bottom line is we won’t know for a few years who did well.

CC TIGER said:
Doing some channel surfing checking out some phantom drafts, so many like most years just seem to cut and paste others opinions, however one thing that seems common in the media is that there seem to be a lot of draftees rising up the order and many slipping I’ve the past few weeks. Could well be a very unpredictable draft, I think they’ll be many clubs feeling lucky that the player they drafted was still available at there pick 8-
I'm tipping quiet a few talls will slide to our picks which is gold for us. they slide every year, especially when there are few standouts.

Article in the age mentions we may have interest in Harrison Petty, 195kg defender, his clip is most intercept marks. seems there are a few good key defenders in this Draft.

normally this time of yr i await E.Quale's phantom Draft but as she works at GWS she won't be doing 1 sadly.

CC TIGER said:
Agree TM.

I think I’m right saying there was a clear top 4 for most of the year, however now there’s at least another 3 who have been mentioned as possible top 4s . I think it’s Brander who was said to not get past the Pies now there’s talk we could get him, looks like been a very interesting night, will only take one club to throw a spanner in the works an the draft to flip on its head, bottom line is we won’t know for a few years who did well.

When in doubt, rely on athletic testing. So important that players can run long and hard these days.
If it's a toss up, pick the athlete. Broad over Batchelor, Lambert over Marcon. That's why I wouldn't take Constable myself.

CC TIGER said:
I wouldn’t be shocked if we picked him with one of our early picks
I believe Geelong are keen on him as well. Not sure what their picks are do they have a first rounder?

Jonesracing82 said:
I'm tipping quiet a few talls will slide to our picks which is gold for us. they slide every year, especially when there are few standouts.
Obviously best available Jr, however if it happens to be talls you beauty.

Blind Turn said:
When in doubt, rely on athletic testing. So important that players can run long and hard these days.
If it's a toss up, pick the athlete. Broad over Batchelor, Lambert over Marcon. That's why I wouldn't take Constable myself.
I think it’s a balance BT, must have some level of both athleticism and footy nous, also depends on what position they play, imho can’t play forward relying on purely athleticism, it’s a must to have a good level of nous.
mtench said:
I believe Geelong are keen on him as well. Not sure what their picks are do they have a first rounder?
I think the Cats have 2 picks in early 20s

CC TIGER said:
I think it’s a balance BT, must have some level of both athleticism and footy nous, also depends on what position they play, imho can’t play forward relying on purely athleticism, it’s a must to have a good level of nous.I think the Cats have 2 picks in early 20s

Cats have 22, 24 and 35
Edit, beat me to it TL

Jonesracing82 said:
Article in the age mentions we may have interest in Harrison Petty, 195kg defender, his clip is most intercept marks. seems there are a few good key defenders in this Draft.

normally this time of yr i await E.Quale's phantom Draft but as she works at GWS she won't be doing 1 sadly.

At pick 52 he would be fine, before that and I would be questioning why we are overlooking Sam Taylor. The biggest obstacle facing Petty will be adding 10-12 kg on his frame and also improving his closing speed, his sprint time was 3.17 seconds.

bullus_hit said:
At pick 52 he would be fine, before that and I would be questioning why we are overlooking Sam Taylor. The biggest obstacle facing Petty will be adding 10-12 kg on his frame and also improving his closing speed, his sprint time was 3.17 seconds.
I know you’ve pretty much answered this in other ways and there the hardest to make a call on, however with so many talls appearing to be moving up the ladder, but not many in top 10 calculations , how highly do you rate this years crop of talls, I,e plenty of B graders? I know last year they were saying this was a bumper tall draft

bullus_hit said:

What was Astbury's sprint time, bearing in mind, he was recruited as a forward?.

CC TIGER said:
I know you’ve pretty much answered this in other ways and there the hardest to make a call on, however with so many talls appearing to be moving up the ladder, but not many in top 10 calculations , how highly do you rate this years crop of talls, I,e plenty of B graders? I know last year they were saying this was a bumper tall draft

The key defender pool has plenty of depth, especially if you include guys like Brander, Ballenden & Balta (although I prefer Brander & Balta as forwards). Not so many pure forwards, only one who presents as a vintage power forward, that being Hugh Dixon. Guys like McCartin & Wooller are undersized and will probably make it as third talls. So given how things have evolved I'd say it's lean pickings. If Naish goes at 20 or 25 then I'd be taking the plunge on Hugh Dixon at 52 or 54, he's a player who has slipped under the radar, largely due to being Tasmanian, but he was the shining light at the carnival for contested possessions & contested marks. Would I take the plunge at 25? Tough call and a little bit of a reach, but if we go small with the first two picks there would be some justification, especially if Taylor was off the board. What needs to be done in Hugh's case is some serious strength and conditioning work. His agility is great, he's already 90kg but his pace is a little off the mark. When I looked at Josh Kennedy's testing he ran a 3.15 sprint, Dixon is 3.19, but importantly in this scenario Dixon hasn't had the benefit of being in the TAC system. If we're about about to launch a big raid on the Gold Coast for Tom Lynch then no need to go down this path, if not then planning for Jack's successor needs to be done pronto.

bullus_hit said:
The key defender pool has plenty of depth, especially if you include guys like Brander, Ballenden & Balta (although I prefer Brander & Balta as forwards). Not so many pure forwards, only one who presents as a vintage power forward, that being Hugh Dixon. Guys like McCartin & Wooller are undersized and will probably make it as third talls. So given how things have evolved I'd say it's lean pickings. If Naish goes at 20 or 25 then I'd be taking the plunge on Hugh Dixon at 52 or 54, he's a player who has slipped under the radar, largely due to being Tasmanian, but he was the shining light at the carnival for contested possessions & contested marks. Would I take the plunge at 25? Tough call and a little bit of a reach, but if we go small with the first two picks there would be some justification, especially if Taylor was off the board. What needs to be done in Hugh's case is some serious strength and conditioning work. His agility is great, he's already 90kg but his pace is a little off the mark. When I looked at Josh Kennedy's testing he ran a 3.15 sprint, Dixon is 3.19, but importantly in this scenario Dixon hasn't had the benefit of being in the TAC system. If we're about about to launch a big raid on the Gold Coast for Tom Lynch then no need to go down this path, if not then planning for Jack's successor needs to be done pronto.

Richmond are really in a good position with the picks we have this year and there will be a lot of quality talls available at our pick's with no standout talls but a pretty even bunch.

Only tall that looks to be 'bolting' is Oscar Allen with supposed interest from West Coast,Adelaide,Bulldogs
Brander may also go before our picks but still leaves us the player we are really suited to and thats Noah Balta

There looks to be 2 out and out bolters into top 20 calculations this year with Richards & Murphy ( I would have loved to get Richards with #25)

The first 7-8 players look to be set and coming from the following 10 players - Brayshaw,LDU,Rayner,Dow,Cerra,Stephenson,Coffield,Fogarty,Naughton,Bonar

L.Fogarty,E.Richards,L.O'Brien,O.Allen,C.Constable are the players that are variable and could be taken anywhere from 10-25 , Which is whats going to be effecting us the most for 2 reasons. 1. Where a bid on Naish comes 2. How many Talls we actually do take

There is a distinct possibility that we could have 3 Talls after the draft - Which would be a great result for our list structure
We were already 2 talls short on the list and have delisted/retired 3 talls

#17 - Allen / Balta should be our priority unless there is a player from the top 10 that slides (Bonar,Stephenson)
#20 - Brander , Balta , Taylor
#25 - Any of the above or a Slider
#29 - P.Naish :clap :clap

#65-#75 - Mobile athletic Ruck Foward would really be great

bigwow said:
What was Astbury's sprint time, bearing in mind, he was recruited as a forward?.

Did his hammy at the combine but prior to that had run a 3 second flat 20 metres. This is the magic number for tall defenders, it's why I'm quite bullish on Sam Taylor who ran a 3.05 sprint, this is a range that can be improved upon to get into acceptable territory. Dave did do a great job with his strength and conditioning, has put on 15kg since arriving at the club. Whilst his turning circle isn't Rance quality he's refined his game so that it isn't a huge issue.

But back on Taylor, he's quick enough for the job, has long arms in that Fletcher mould & has senior exposure against quality opposition. I have him right on par with Naughton who despite the superior athleticism has one of the most awkward kicking actions in this year's draft class. People point out that Naughton has kicked at 70% but it's a different ball game at AFL level and I'm not as confident as some with regards to fixing it.

bullus_hit said:
I'd be hoping we plan for after Jack anyway & reckon given the AFL will make sure Lynch has all the $$$ he wants & more to stay up North i reckon sadly that we can rule him out.

Twomey tweeting that Brander was looking a top 10 pick, now likely to go around our pick, no actual link to us just states that his type suits us.