Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Jonesracing82 said:
Not a fan of using late picks on key fwds, look at all the top KPF's in the AFL all are 1st rd picks...

History says you won't get an elite forward but you might get a good one. Ben Brown (47), Josh Jenkins (rookie), Jarrad Waite (46), Justin Westhoff (72), Kurt Tippett (32).

bullus_hit said:
The key defender pool has plenty of depth, especially if you include guys like Brander, Ballenden & Balta (although I prefer Brander & Balta as forwards). Not so many pure forwards, only one who presents as a vintage power forward, that being Hugh Dixon. Guys like McCartin & Wooller are undersized and will probably make it as third talls. So given how things have evolved I'd say it's lean pickings. If Naish goes at 20 or 25 then I'd be taking the plunge on Hugh Dixon at 52 or 54, he's a player who has slipped under the radar, largely due to being Tasmanian, but he was the shining light at the carnival for contested possessions & contested marks. Would I take the plunge at 25? Tough call and a little bit of a reach, but if we go small with the first two picks there would be some justification, especially if Taylor was off the board. What needs to be done in Hugh's case is some serious strength and conditioning work. His agility is great, he's already 90kg but his pace is a little off the mark. When I looked at Josh Kennedy's testing he ran a 3.15 sprint, Dixon is 3.19, but importantly in this scenario Dixon hasn't had the benefit of being in the TAC system. If we're about about to launch a big raid on the Gold Coast for Tom Lynch then no need to go down this path, if not then planning for Jack's successor needs to be done pronto.
Just to throw up an annoying pre draft spoiler comment Bullus. Considering the last two flags have been won by sides that haven't used the more conventional two key forwards plus a mobile third tall scenario, are you missing the foreseeable future mark of AFL with these comments re pure forwards, power forwards, third talls etc.
Watching the game for a hell of a long time, but more so recently. It seems that there's a massive impact from hybrid, all round, multi role players rather than specific types of footballers in the old sense of the term. Ruck, CHF, FF, CHB, FB, Center man, Rover, Flanker, Wing. They barely exist any more, it's all about defensive groups who can break the lines, forward groups who can also apply defensive pressure and mid fielders who work both ways equally.

It could be that this scenario of the last couple of years is just a blip, short term trend on the footy landscape. But it almost seems like the only way to be successful nowadays is to invent something no-one else has seen n force the other clubs to follow suit for a few years while you invent another stategy.

TigerMasochist said:
Just to throw up an annoying pre draft spoiler comment Bullus. Considering the last two flags have been won by sides that haven't used the more conventional two key forwards plus a mobile third tall scenario, are you missing the foreseeable future mark of AFL with these comments re pure forwards, power forwards, third talls etc.
Watching the game for a hell of a long time, but more so recently. It seems that there's a massive impact from hybrid, all round, multi role players rather than specific types of footballers in the old sense of the term. Ruck, CHF, FF, CHB, FB, Center man, Rover, Flanker, Wing. They barely exist any more, it's all about defensive groups who can break the lines, forward groups who can also apply defensive pressure and mid fielders who work both ways equally.

It could be that this scenario of the last couple of years is just a blip, short term trend on the footy landscape. But it almost seems like the only way to be successful nowadays is to invent something no-one else has seen n force the other clubs to follow suit for a few years while you invent another stategy.

Still need at least one 50 goal tall forward, I think that's the more pertinent issue. Bringing in a guy like Dixon would make a bit of sense now because Jack won't be around forever. I put his development curve at around 4 years, perhaps with 5-10 games in year 3 & 4.

bullus_hit said:
Still need at least one 50 goal tall forward, I think that's the more pertinent issue. Bringing in a guy like Dixon would make a bit of sense now because Jack won't be around forever. I put his development curve at around 4 years, perhaps with 5-10 games in year 3 & 4.
Clubs will always require at least one core anchor player at forward and back, ie a Tross and Jaack, with a squad of multi tasking enablers surrounding them. Way different situation to team structures of a few years ago. I don't know enough about the youngsters leading up to draft time, just read and enjoy the thoughts of those on here that follow the kids through. As with all the youngsters especially the KP size they need three to four years to grow into their bodies n the fitness requirements to have a sustained input at AFL level. I'm hoping we can grab a couple of quality tall's with our early picks as I think we're a little light on at the moment, but they all need to be capable of multi tasking these days just to survive.

tigertim said:
So you don’t “listen” to Landsberger but you know he wrote the story in the HUN about Brisbane thinking of taking Brayshaw with pick 1..... :-X

Did u get teased a lot when u were a kid? Dipshite!

tigertim said:
So you don’t “listen” to Landsberger but you know he wrote the story in the HUN about Brisbane thinking of taking Brayshaw with pick 1..... :-X

:hihi

bullus_hit said:
History says you won't get an elite forward but you might get a good one. Ben Brown (47), Josh Jenkins (rookie), Jarrad Waite (46), Justin Westhoff (72), Kurt Tippett (32).
True tho i am fearful late ones could also be another Elton/McBean type.

My wish is for two indigenous boys, Bailey and Kreuger. Speed athleticism and energy both can play and are the
tiger 'type' we have recently chased. The can play anywhere Kreuger at 196cm is the future. Bailey is both outside speed and inside grunt
a future replacement for titch Edwards.
Cannot see why they are so low on Draft predictions, will be bargains for those with vision.

BrisTiger24 said:
Bully / Scoop et al - let's say Balta and Allen are gone, Naughton and Brander are available. Who do you choose?

I'd take Brander but there's no way I'd be grooming him as a backman, he needs to be left in the forward line where he can get some continuity. At the moment there's a massive gulf between his good and bad, in part I think because he's been thrown all over the park. I still cannot believe some scouts think his best football is in defence.

As for Naughton, I just think his kicking will be an issue, I also think we can get Taylor who has just as many runs on the board as Naughton. It's really interesting to see who develops into the media darlings these days, both are AA players, both have excelled at senior level, Taylor is actually an AFL Academy guy who is quick for his size, has a pretty good tank and has a little bit more reach due to his wingspan. Naughton is a slightly better athlete but his kicking action looks a mess. I guess the beauty of this situation is we can get our forward first and then grab a backman with our next pick.

gehring said:
My wish is for two indigenous boys, Bailey and Kreuger. Speed athleticism and energy both can play and are the
tiger 'type' we have recently chased. The can play anywhere Kreuger at 196cm is the future. Bailey is both outside speed and inside grunt
a future replacement for titch Edwards.
Cannot see why they are so low on Draft predictions, will be bargains for those with vision.
This is what I see too, for his size bloody hell he moves well. Could be the new age forward that plays as a tall mid.

A very good friend of mine is coaching up in the Albury Wadonga area and has told me that Ben Paton has been told by the RFC that there is a good chance that we will take him on Friday night. Apparently we have shown an interest in him all year and whilst he had played his cards close to his chest he let his guard down on Saturday night over more than few beers with his North Albury mates.

He is a Richmond supporter as well and is super excited at the prospect of playing for the club.

Broders said:
A very good friend of mine is coaching up in the Albury Wadonga area and has told me that Ben Paton has been told by the RFC that there is a good chance that we will take him on Friday night. Apparently we have shown an interest in him all year and whilst he had played his cards close to his chest he let his guard down on Saturday night over more than few beers with his North Albury mates.

He is a Richmond supporter as well and is super excited at the prospect of playing for the club.
Just had a squiz at his Draft machine clip, he kicks off both feet which is good.