Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Twomey’s done his final draft rankings (top 30). Interestingly neither Balta nor Garner feature. He links us with Miers (no thanks), Higgins (would be a bargain), Ballard, Murphy, Hayes, Allen, O’Brien and Brander, though I have to presume that’s more based on draft range than specific information.

DirtyDogTiger said:
I don’t know how accurate this information is but....

http://footyprophet.com/afl-rookie-draft-how-many-picks-will-your-club-get/

“Essentially, the PSD is another chance for clubs to have another look at players who were passed over at the National Draft, and can choose to have between 38-40 senior listed players, with the remaining rookies pushing list totals up to 44 (before Category B rookies are included).

Clubs that already have 40 players will no participate in the PSD, however, those with 38 or 39 players can choose to pass their pick, thus opening up an extra rookie spot.

Lastly, some players who were nominated as “Next Generation” zone selections that are undrafted can be signed as Category B rookies. Clubs can have a maximum of 6 Category A rookies, and 3 Category B rookies”
I actually reckon now that FA is in play the PSD should be scrapped. as it is only 1-2 players get picked in this Draft altogether in recent yrs since FA came in.

Gypsy__Jazz said:

The media links to Hayes were disconcerting, Spook. But if we're across this, Clarke should be too. I'm betting we'll be sweet.

Spot on. It would be a mind boggling time to invest heavily in developing ruck stocks, Pokey. If blokes like Hayes are out of fashion then players like Petrucelle are the blokes in vogue. Petrucelle has a lot of improvement required and I was shocked when I first learned of the basketball background as he really lacks polish, but he's got the athletic profile you need to be allowed time.

Personally I prefer going with natural footballers with a handy athletic profile and if we were to steal Brent Daniels at a bargain price I certainly wouldn't be one saying "too many mosquitoes". Like Jason Akermanis and in modern times Jade Gresham, he has an incredible ability to see players and spot them up in the corridor when it appears as though he's in trouble hard against the boundary or stuck in traffic. Elite smalls are outstanding creators. Daniels is certainly that at the junior level. Could be a bargain and it wasn't a surprise to see him dominate at the combine. He's incredibly nimble (3rd in agility test at combine, 8.11) and bloody quick too (2.95, 20m). Dynamic player. I reckon he could play senior football as soon as next year. My only query is just how much natural improvement is left in him. But in any case, he can really play as is. Must draft if the stars align late in the 3rd round.
In the Y&B book, in the chapter about our recruiting they discuss a "tall that can't run & will be a liability" if this Hayes they are talking about we won't be touching him. ppl only link us as he's a ruck & we are looking for someone that can play that role. As time goes on i am hoping we get Balta as he can relief ruck as well as play both ends.
Also mentions a player who is "coming back from injury, is an absolute beast & has massive upside & they rate his a 1st rd player" i presume this to be Bonar.

footballmonk said:
Twomey’s done his final draft rankings (top 30). Interestingly neither Balta nor Garner feature. He links us with Miers (no thanks), Higgins (would be a bargain), Ballard, Murphy, Hayes, Allen, O’Brien and Brander, though I have to presume that’s more based on draft range than specific information.

He has us taking Bonar at 17 which I would do, must take Balta at 20 though, even if we anticipate he'll be there at 25. Some notable omissions with Worpel, Garner & Taylor not in the mix. Hayes could easily drift into the third round in my opinion.

Jonesracing82 said:
In the Y&B book, in the chapter about our recruiting they discuss a "tall that can't run & will be a liability" if this Hayes they are talking about we won't be touching him. ppl only link us as he's a ruck & we are looking for someone that can play that role. As time goes on i am hoping we get Balta as he can relief ruck as well as play both ends.
Also mentions a player who is "coming back from injury, is an absolute beast & has massive upside & they rate his a 1st rd player" i presume this to be Bonar.

They also talk about a kid who could play for the All Blacks. I assumed that was Bonar as well. Convinced we take him at 17 if there.

SCOOP said:
They also talk about a kid who play for the All Blacks. I assumed that was Bonar as well. Convinced we take him at 17 if there.

17. Bonar
20. Balta
25. Taylor
26+ Naish

Dream result.

bullus_hit said:
17. Bonar
20. Balta
25. Taylor
26+ Naish

Dream result.
Given Brander (now the most underrated player in the draft) will go before our picks, I concur 100%. Perfect.

bullus_hit said:
17. Bonar
20. Balta
25. Taylor
26+ Naish

Dream result.
If we can pull that off we really have the beginnings of a decent spine to go with the young core we have coming through for the future.

spook said:
Bewick also said Hayes could be a total bust. 100% with Gyps here. He can't jump either. Vickery all over again. Pass.
Spook, Don't take this persoanlly but all the draft picks we have had in the last 10 years have been bagged by some pre draft on this site so I am interested in that but I don't take any of it as gospel.

You most probably know more about the juniors that me and you may be right but you also may be wrong.

My feeling is that there are plenty of good judges marking him highly and if we pick him up then the club must believe he has a lot of upside.

Let's see but my whispers are we are pretty keen

bullus_hit said:
17. Bonar
20. Balta
25. Taylor
26+ Naish

Dream result.

I’m flexible on 25. Not anti Taylor but if someone else (bar Hayes) slips, I’d be ok with taking them.

But if Naish gets past 25, it’s an absolute bumper crop.

Agree, Scoop. Slider at 25 ideally. It's certainly possible Naish slips that far. Really just hoping we get a good swing at 17. Most worried about the dogs at 16.

Sintiger said:
Spook, Don't take this persoanlly but all the draft picks we have had in the last 10 years have been bagged by some pre draft on this site so I am interested in that but I don't take any of it as gospel.

You most probably know more about the juniors that me and you may be right but you also may be wrong.

My feeling is that there are plenty of good judges marking him highly and if we pick him up then the club must believe he has a lot of upside.

Let's see but my whispers are we are pretty keen
None taken, ol' son. If we draft him, I hope he's a superstar.

SCOOP said:
I’m flexible on 25. Not anti Taylor but if someone else (bar Hayes) slips, I’d be ok with taking them.

But if Naish gets past 25, it’s an absolute bumper crop.

I think at 25 we can start to address list requirements and I see a bit of a hole at FB/CHB, from what I've researched on Taylor he ticks all the boxes for a modern day defender. The biggest criticism has been his lack of attacking flare but you could say that about Talia. Taylor has one of the biggest wingspans in this year's crop and has good closing speed, his kicking technique is also far superior to Naughton.

I'm also prepared for a Naish bid in which case Hugh Dixon & Kyron Hayden would be my top priorities.

bullus_hit said:
I think at 25 we can start to address list requirements and I see a bit of a hole at FB/CHB, from what I've researched on Taylor he ticks all the boxes for a modern day defender. The biggest criticism has been his lack of attacking flare but you could say that about Talia. Taylor has one of the biggest wingspans in this year's crop and has good closing speed, his kicking technique is also far superior to Naughton.

I'm also prepared for a Naish bid in which case Hugh Dixon & Kyron Hayden would be my top priorities.

If Taylor is best available at 25, that’s fine take him. If some falls, take him. If you get can get to 25 before a Naish bid, it’s a free swing.

I also like Hugh Dixon, saw some footage, gee he moves well. And looks like a natural footballer who wants to bash and crash as a key forward. I’m with you for any pick after 50. Similar to Jordan Butts, he is the another key position player I like after 50.

SCOOP said:
If Taylor is best available at 25, that’s fine take him. If some falls, take him. If you get can get to 25 before a Naish bid, it’s a free swing.

I also like Hugh Dixon, saw some footage, gee he moves well. And looks like a natural footballer who wants to bash and crash as a key forward. I’m with you for any pick after 50. Similar to Jordan Butts, he is the another key position player I like after 50.

Would rather have McCartin than Dixon scoop, McCartin doesnt turn 18 until last day of the year
Kid is actually playing against others nearly a year older and has a great Tank and already 194cm

I can see him as a N.Riewoldt type that Runs up and down all day and takes grabs

spook said:
Bewick also said Hayes could be a total bust. 100% with Gyps here. He can't jump either. Vickery all over again. Pass.

Yep he hardly jumps at all. Stands out in juniors cause he's already so damn tall but not sure on how well he'd go at AFL level where many are his height or close to and can certainly jump higher. I'd be surprised if we took him with on of our 20s picks.

turk-d-tiger said:
Would rather have McCartin than Dixon scoop, McCartin doesnt turn 18 until last day of the year
Kid is actually playing against others nearly a year older and has a great Tank and already 194cm

I can see him as a N.Riewoldt type that Runs up and down all day and takes grabs

It’s interesting point the age thing, we have from. We took Shai and he is a December birthday as well. I’m not that high on McCartin but it’s a valid point. The big blokes take longer and being younger defintley changes the perception. He will be doing year 12 next year at Geelong Grammar so you are effectively parking him for a year. After our first set of picks you could definitely persuade me.

The one who is really excites me at 25 is Tim Kelly. If we could get two kids before 25 and have Naish still available, I’d take Kelly. I might take him anyway even if we have used a early pick. Fits everything we value (pace, tackles, magic around goals, can play midfield) and would be ready to go for Round 1. Have a look at the highlights and tell me he is someone who fits our mould.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCddeVuG9k

SCOOP said:
I want Balta. He fits everything we need. Back, forward, mobile second ruck. Fits modern football perfectly. The fact that he can find the footy in general play really excites me. His flashes of good are top shelf but like all young talls he can fade out of the game. But there is enough to work with. So my number one option is Balta at 17.

Looks the goods. What a leap.