Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

CC TIGER said:
What’s your possible dream result Scooper ?

I want Balta. He fits everything we need. Back, forward, mobile second ruck. Fits modern football perfectly. The fact that he can find the footy in general play really excites me. His flashes of good are top shelf but like all young talls he can fade out of the game. But there is enough to work with. So my number one option is Balta at 17.

If we can then jag Bonar at 20, I’d do it in a heartbeat. We won a flag, we have three draft picks and we just banked a athletic tall and are perfectly placed to take the punt on someone who could turn into a the modern powerful big on baller. Ryan Burton was a pretty similar story and the Hawks took the punt at the peak of their powers. Take the punt when you are on top with multiple picks. Risk reward time is now.

At 25, I’m going best available. Not fussed what we do if we have Balta & Bonar. I’d almost take Tim Kelly at this point. I’m a huge wrap for him. He’s a ready to go on baller. Helps us win now and you have already banked two (three if you get Naish after) kids.

And then get Naish.

That’s the dream.

SCOOP said:
I want Balta. He fits everything we need. Back, forward, mobile second ruck. Fits modern football perfectly. The fact that he can find the footy in general play really excites me. His flashes of good are top shelf but like all young talls he can fade out of the game. But there is enough to work with. So my number one option is Balta at 17.

If we can then jag Bonar at 20, I’d do it in a heartbeat. We won a flag, we have three draft picks and we just banked a athletic tall and are perfectly placed to take the punt on someone who could turn into a the modern powerful big on baller. Ryan Burton was a pretty similar story and the Hawks took the punt at the peak of their powers. Take the punt when you are on top with multiple picks. Risk reward time is now.

At 25, I’m going best available. Not fussed what we do if we have Balta & Bonar. I’d almost take Tim Kelly at this point. I’m a huge wrap for him. He’s a ready to go on baller. Helps us win now and you have already banked two (three if you get Naish after) kids.

And then get Naish.

That’s the dream.

If we get access to Bonar we must take the risk. We are the premiers. There is no need to be gun shy. The Hawks took the punt on Ryan Burton with a mangled leg after a flag win. He's already one of their best players.

Gus said:
Yes, Allen would be a great addition. He will transition quickly at a club.
What are the chances of him being around at our pick?

Personally I think he is the pick of the talls.

spook said:
Agree, Gyps. But surely someone takes Bonar before us?

I've said this before on here, Spook. St Kilda must strike with one of their first round selections. They've been trying unsuccessfully for years to land a big fish but they just don't have enough clout to land one. They have to develop one. Bonar has the potential to be a marquee player. They're beautifully placed at 7 & 8. But I'm hoping they don't have the balls and he slides all the way to 17. But you're right. It's probably a fanciful notion.

As for our draft strategy, I'm 100% against the idea that we go for talls with our plum picks. This is a matter of philosophy and since we are a big powerful club with great trade relations and a strong record of getting deals done, we are better placed than other sides to go with the best available as a matter of policy. I've got faith in the recruiting department that we won't be paying for Hayes. Rucks slide (see Grundy and English). And I also have faith that we'll be taking the best player available when we are called up for our first swing. Ideally, we want a a gun to slide, not a tall at a fair price.

Our plum picks last year were on mediums and smalls, whether they were draft choices or trades. We had clear issues with our KPP stocks, but we still took the best players available to us. Bolton was 17 when drafted and had clear first round credentials. He slid and we pounced. Graham had clear second round credentials, but was unable to get a reputation commensurate with his ability. He slid and we pounced. We want guns to slide. And just like last year, we will take them if they are available.

TigerMasochist said:
Will be interesting to see what happens with this kid. Seems he was a rock solid top ten selection before the info about his ticker hit the market. Wonder how big an impact this has n how far he slides before a club pulls the trigger n snaffles him regardless of potential future health issues.
We should start a rumour like this about Naish ;)

I tweeted B.Andersen yesterday asking him about who we are looking to pick up in the Draft & his reply was "Talls".

Gypsy__Jazz said:
I've said this before on here, Spook. St Kilda must strike with one of their first round selections. They've been trying unsuccessfully for years to land a big fish but they just don't have enough clout to land one. They have to develop one. Bonar has the potential to be a marquee player. They're beautifully placed at 7 & 8. But I'm hoping they don't have the balls and he slides all the way to 17. But you're right. It's probably a fanciful notion.

As for our draft strategy, I'm 100% against the idea that we go for talls with our plum picks. This is a matter of philosophy and since we are a big powerful club with great trade relations and a strong record of getting deals done, we are better placed than other sides to go with the best available as a matter of policy. I've got faith in the recruiting department that we won't be paying for Hayes. Rucks slide (see Grundy and English). And I also have faith that we'll be taking the best player available when we are called up for our first swing. Ideally, we want a a gun to slide, not a tall at a fair price.

Our plum picks last year were on mediums and smalls, whether they were draft choices or trades. We had clear issues with our KPP stocks, but we still took the best players available to us. Bolton was 17 when drafted and had clear first round credentials. He slid and we pounced. Graham had clear second round credentials, but was unable to get a reputation commensurate with his ability. He slid and we pounced. We want guns to slide. And just like last year, we will take them if they are available.
There is a kryptic club in the Y&B book that if Bonar is there at our pick we are keen on him.

DirtyDogTiger said:
If Naish goes between 20-25 we lose 25.
If he goes 25+ we lost 53 & 55.

53 & 55 could be good value acquisitions.

What do people prefer?

Would 100% prefer to lose 53 & 55. I'd be surprised if anyone would rather lose 25.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Well it is if you consider 1 v 2 picks and how even some drafts can be.
I’m asking because I’m curious.
Do you have any meaningful input?

I think it's been said on numerous occasions that this is a shallow draft. You might fluke a diamond in the rough, but I'd rather a mid 20s pick over 2x spec pick in the 50s, might end up being closer to 60s picks after f/s & academy matching
I doubt we have room on our list to have 5 selections, plus the 2 rookie upgrades. Have we got 7 vacant list spots?