Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Yes

We deleted

Maric Yarran batch lennon Hunt elton Morris.

That’s 7 but it’s now 5 because we’ve upgraded Soldo & Castagna.

I’d be hoping as you’ve indicated that we get Naish 17, 20, 25 and three rookies. 39+6 =45.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Ok well

Naish
Then we should probably pass and go into the season with 39 players.
Not counting rookies.
Pretty sure there's a new ruling regarding rookies from next year on. There's no need to upgrade them any more, clubs can play their rookies whenever they want to. No need to go short on the list unless you have salary cap issues.

I don’t know how accurate this information is but....

http://footyprophet.com/afl-rookie-draft-how-many-picks-will-your-club-get/

“Essentially, the PSD is another chance for clubs to have another look at players who were passed over at the National Draft, and can choose to have between 38-40 senior listed players, with the remaining rookies pushing list totals up to 44 (before Category B rookies are included).

Clubs that already have 40 players will no participate in the PSD, however, those with 38 or 39 players can choose to pass their pick, thus opening up an extra rookie spot.

Lastly, some players who were nominated as “Next Generation” zone selections that are undrafted can be signed as Category B rookies. Clubs can have a maximum of 6 Category A rookies, and 3 Category B rookies”

So this season we had 40 + 4 rookies + 1 B Rookie. = 45.

We then delisted 7 making 33.
and upgraded a standard rookie (Castagna) and a ‘B Rookie’ (Soldo).
So 35 players + 3 rookies = 38.

Drafting 17, 20, 25 & Naish makes 39.

So we need 2 more rookies
And then take a cat B like Derek Smith.

Maric - 17
Elton - 20
Batch - 25
Lennon - Naish
Morris - Rookie 1
Hunt - Rookie 2
Yarran - Cat B rookie.

There is a lot of negativity about Hayes on here, comparing him with some of the less physical big men around. I think it’s very hard to compare players as they are individuals and they develop differently.

I don’t know the youngsters but I did hear that Hayes’ junior coach Darren Bewick has said he could be a once in a generation ruck. His highlights show he has very long arms and takes a decent grab. Everyone looks good in highlights and he does as well.

To me it may well be a risk worth taking. He would go into a now elite program, into a team first ethic club.

Elite rucks don’t grow on trees

Sintiger said:
There is a lot of negativity about Hayes on here, comparing him with some of the less physical big men around. I think it’s very hard to compare players as they are individuals and they develop differently.

I don’t know the youngsters but I did hear that Hayes’ junior coach Darren Bewick has said he could be a once in a generation ruck. His highlights show he has very long arms and takes a decent grab. Everyone looks good in highlights and he does as well.

To me it may well be a risk worth taking. He would go into a now elite program, into a team first ethic club.

That is a fair wrap from Bewick, ST. My general negativity would be more about paying a high price for a ruck. So that's my personal bias, but like any analyst, I love finding the exception. I don't believe Hayes is close to that, but in a hypothetical world where he lands with us, I would hope to proven wrong very quickly. He was All Australian as a bottom ager as well as this year so that's a tick. But my biggest concern is how often players half his size fell him. He is many years away and his future is far from assured IMO. You only need to look at the price of Jarrod Witts last year to see that sure things in the ruck department can be acquired cheaply. And Nankervis was cheaply acquired and undersized for a modern ruck and is now a premiership player, proving that paying a high price for a junior ruck is unnecessarily risky. Particularly with a bloke like Hayes who has such a poor aerobic base. Since he is a spindly ectomorph, running really needed to be a strength for him to considered an exception to what should be an iron clad rule.

Sintiger said:

True, but they’re still only elite in the category of ruckman, which is different to the standards in the category of footballer.

Bewick also said Hayes could be a total bust. 100% with Gyps here. He can't jump either. Vickery all over again. Pass.

Agree, 123kid. Ruckmen are the drummers of the AFL. They're lucky to be allowed to hang around the band.

I can't help but think that Grigg vs Sauce in the ruck in the GF, resulting in five consecutive clearances going our way has put the case for a ruckman back a long way.

Even if there weren't question marks about Hayes' fitness (and by association, work ethic and professionalism), then I would still look elsewhere.

Gypsy__Jazz said:
Agree, 123kid. Ruckmen are the drummers of the AFL. They're lucky to be allowed to hang around the band.

Theres definately two distinct schools of thought on Ruckmen.

Im a ruckophile. I think they are THE most important player on the ground

Funnily, modern footy (which by definition, has been defined by us this year),

Is inbetween the two schools.

A single ruckman.

grigg makes a mockery of the importance of tapwork, whereas Nankers mocks the ruck doubters with his bullocking intercept and stoppage work.

Its a very interesting time in the game, particulary with regard to talls.

But weve gotta grab a few blue chip talls

spook said:
Bewick also said Hayes could be a total bust. 100% with Gyps here. He can't jump either. Vickery all over again. Pass.

The media links to Hayes were disconcerting, Spook. But if we're across this, Clarke should be too. I'm betting we'll be sweet.

pokey said:
I can't help but think that Grigg vs Sauce in the ruck in the GF, resulting in five consecutive clearances going our way has put the case for a ruckman back a long way.

Even if there weren't question marks about Hayes' fitness (and by association, work ethic and professionalism), then I would still look elsewhere.

Spot on. It would be a mind boggling time to invest heavily in developing ruck stocks, Pokey. If blokes like Hayes are out of fashion then players like Petrucelle are the blokes in vogue. Petrucelle has a lot of improvement required and I was shocked when I first learned of the basketball background as he really lacks polish, but he's got the athletic profile you need to be allowed time.

Personally I prefer going with natural footballers with a handy athletic profile and if we were to steal Brent Daniels at a bargain price I certainly wouldn't be one saying "too many mosquitoes". Like Jason Akermanis and in modern times Jade Gresham, he has an incredible ability to see players and spot them up in the corridor when it appears as though he's in trouble hard against the boundary or stuck in traffic. Elite smalls are outstanding creators. Daniels is certainly that at the junior level. Could be a bargain and it wasn't a surprise to see him dominate at the combine. He's incredibly nimble (3rd in agility test at combine, 8.11) and bloody quick too (2.95, 20m). Dynamic player. I reckon he could play senior football as soon as next year. My only query is just how much natural improvement is left in him. But in any case, he can really play as is. Must draft if the stars align late in the 3rd round.

At the end of the day you have to be more than just tall. You need to be able to get to contest after contest, take a contested mar, bring the ball to ground. I'm not convinced Hayes can do that.

Balta, on the other hand, has some very tasty ruck highlights. And he can mark. And run with the speed of a thousand gazelles. Forward, back, and an upgrade on Grigg as second ruck.

We'll all be jumping for joy if we get access to Balta, TBH. He's got a stack of fans on here, so there's no need for me to jump on the bandwagon too.

Gypsy__Jazz said:
We'll all be jumping for joy if we get access to Balta, TBH. He's got a stack of fans on here, so there's no need for me to jump on the bandwagon too.

Knightmare has us taking both Balta and Hayes. No need for both ITBHO.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/21381638/knightmare-november-phantom-draft-first-three-rounds

spook said:

Yeah, I’ve played that tune all year. Massive stay away. Just doesn’t have the physical attributes to play modern footy.

Rule number one of rucks, if they ain’t competitive beasts avoid them like the plague.

123kid said:
True, but they’re still only elite in the category of ruckman, which is different to the standards in the category of footballer.

Agree. Look at Hawthorn, the Dogs and Richmond. Nank is by far the best ruck to win a flag in the last five years and he is above average overall but as physical as they get and led all rucks in intercept marks. So he does two things as a ruck that are elite.

I’m somehow praying that we get Bonar. Real wildcard. Balta & Bonar for me. Best available at 25. Plus Naish. Party time. Again.