Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

bullus_hit said:
I hope you're right but we're talking about a culture that has imploded. They treat their loyal servants like trash, they have a coach who suffers from verbal diarrhea and throws tantrums, they probably hate Richmond right now because we have achieved what they have failed to do after 3 attempts.
Poor bastards have blown themselves up big time with some serious attitude n ego at the top end in recent years for nil return. They were publicly slobbering all over Figgy a few years back n Eddie simply gazumped them ( n messed up his Colonwood toy in the process ). Thirty second later they were wetting their knickers after one interview with the B grade Scott, jumped him n locked him away so no-one else could get a look at him.
Compare the list quality and maturity of the Tigers n Roos at the same time when Dimma n Scott were appointed. Dimma did the full rebuild n along with a couple of stumbles is now a flag coach with still a young list overall. Scott no on the other hand has completely missed his opportunities while his stars were in premium, then turned on them n dumped them under the bus. Now while in full rebuild mode he's attempted the highly public shortcut n dangled the jewels at a couple of superstar players for again no result. Another couple of seasons of miserable failures will once again see them with nil supporters, nil funds, nil corporate, nil premium games n probably extra home games in Tassie to try n find some relevance.

FWIW (not much I suspect) Knightmare's phantom has us taking, in order:

Balta
Hayes
Naish
Ainsworth
Paton

Dev Tiger said:
Hayes recorded an 8.20 for the 2km time trial at the draft camp. Unless he was injured or sick he has got a massive task ahead of him getting up to AFL level fitness. That would be a bad result even for a country footballer.

His aerobic ability makes him undraftable. He'll get run into the ground by the mobile rucks in the 1st qtr and be as bad as Vickery at chasing his opponent out of the forward line. Rookie list at best.

King Kong said:
His aerobic ability makes him undraftable. He'll get run into the ground by the mobile rucks in the 1st qtr and be as bad as Vickery at chasing his opponent out of the forward line. Rookie list at best.

It doesn't make him undraftable. Fitness is probably the easiest knock to correct once you get a kid into a professional environment, but it can take a while to get right. He might well be a big slider, but you're probably getting carried away.

Tigertool said:
It doesn't make him undraftable. Fitness is probably the easiest knock to correct once you get a kid into a professional environment, but it can take a while to get right. He might well be a big slider, but you're probably getting carried away.

But the questions remain. Hayes has been in the best junior program with the best coaches available to junior footballers
He is also a kid thats aspiring to become a professional footballer and these times are no way acceptable to be drafted within the first 2 rounds but more a project type selection.

I wouldnt touch him with our 3 selections if these numbers are correct, Stange considering i drafted him for Richmond in the Phantom draft lol
But i hadnt seen these numbers before 8.20 for a 2klm time trial is very very bad - I wouldnt be too far off that time and im over 50

turk-d-tiger said:
But the questions remain. Hayes has been in the best junior program with the best coaches available to junior footballers
He is also a kid thats aspiring to become a professional footballer and these times are no way acceptable to be drafted within the first 2 rounds but more a project type selection.

I wouldnt touch him with our 3 selections if these numbers are correct, Stange considering i drafted him for Richmond in the Phantom draft lol
But i hadnt seen these numbers before 8.20 for a 2klm time trial is very very bad - I wouldnt be too far off that time and im over 50

I know that.

However he's clearly a talented kid, in what is effectively an amateur environment. What would make him undraftable is a poor attitude/character to go with his fitness.

Fitness alone won't make him undraftable. Big slider? Maybe. But in a swallow draft, I can't see why he would go undrafted.

turk-d-tiger said:

He's coming from a similar base as Andrew Browne, I hope we've learnt a lesson from that experiment.

I just dont rate Ruckman in regards to drafting them high in the draft, Would much rather get a Role playing Ruckman and invest picks in other area's

Last Ruckman i was happy to select with our 1st round pick was Grundy as he was well and truly a quality Ruck that was under valued

turk-d-tiger said:
I just dont rate Ruckman in regards to drafting them high in the draft, Would much rather get a Role playing Ruckman and invest picks in other area's

Last Ruckman i was happy to select with our 1st round pick was Grundy as he was well and truly a quality Ruck that was under valued

Grundy also had outstanding fitness courtesy of his basketball background.

turk-d-tiger said:

I think the stats back that up. The number 1 rucks off each of the 18 teams show that.

5 of them were picked in the top 10 of the ND (Kreuzer, NicNat, Ryder, Longer and McEvoy)
2 of them were picked in the PSD (Martin and Bellchambers - ironically the same year)
4 were picked in the 30's in the National Draft (Nank, Gawn, Jordan Roughhead and Goldstein)
5 were picked later or as rookies (Jacobs, Mumford, Sinclair, Sandi and Witts)
Only 1 was picked between 10 and 30 in the National Draft (Grundy).

Not sure on the reliability, but this article is packed with good news for us - no Naish bid before 25 and we’re supposedly cooling on Hayes:

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/11/12/afl-draft-whispers-november-2017/

Naish and Allen would be a party result.

sorry if its been asked,

but what the record on clubs bidding on other clubs sons?

isnt it to big of a flight risk?

footballmonk said:
Not sure on the reliability, but this article is packed with good news for us - no Naish bid before 25 and we’re supposedly cooling on Hayes:

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/11/12/afl-draft-whispers-november-2017/
The same article has a link to write ups on all players by positions

I would struggle to justify taking Hayes with that kind of result. My 10yo daughter goes very close to that time.

When you look at the footage, he was really struggling to even finish. Just imagine if it was like the old 3km time trial, he would still be running.

I love that AFL draft central site, I just hope that they're right about no bids for Naish, that would be an amazing result, although I suspect that someone will keep us honest before our pick 25 which would be fair enough.

I liked this bit from that article.

"Whispers about the Bulldogs bidding on Richmond father-son Patrick Naish appear to be dying."

They suggest that North could bid on Naish. Its a bit strange that he may go outside the top 25 but has been invited to the draft.

pokey said:
I would struggle to justify taking Hayes with that kind of result. My 10yo daughter goes very close to that time.

When you look at the footage, he was really struggling to even finish. Just imagine if it was like the old 3km time trial, he would still be running.

I love that AFL draft central site, I just hope that they're right about no bids for Naish, that would be an amazing result, although I suspect that someone will keep us honest before our pick 25 which would be fair enough.

Depends what you mean by 'keep us honest'?

If they genuinely have a chance of gaining the player and think they could snag him, fair enough. Likewise if bidding at least maintained their draft position that's ok too I suppose. However if it's purely to sabotage another club even at your own expense, well that's a another matter. As has been mentioned North Melbourne bidding on Naish and forcing us to use our pick 25 actually weakens their draft position. Not bidding and letting us use our 53 and 55 moves their 64 (their 3rd pick in the draft) up one spot. Bidding and losing out on Naish actually pushes their 64 back to 65 as we would get pick 61 as compensation change for 25.

Bidding for a player to your own draft detriment just to get at another club when you have some father sons of your own coming up is not smart. Hope they remember that because come the 2019 draft I'm sure Richmond wouldn't be forgetting it.

Keep in mind we may not even take Naish as yet, it says in the Y&B book that we need to seperate the heart from the head (re: matching a bid) & make sure that we rate him properly.

If Clubs want to bid just to "keep us honest" they want to make sure they actually rate him as if we don't match they will be stuck with a kid they don't rate & one who may request a trade to Tigers in 2 yrs time.

Jonesracing82 said:
Keep in mind we may not even take Naish as yet, it says in the Y&B book that we need to seperate the heart from the head (re: matching a bid) & make sure that we rate him properly.

If Clubs want to bid just to "keep us honest" they want to make sure they actually rate him as if we don't match they will be stuck with a kid they don't rate & one who may request a trade to Tigers in 2 yrs time.

can't see anyone bidding JUST to keep us honest, won't happen, but clubs will do it if they are happy to get Naishy for the pick in question. In those circumstances its a win/ win for them.

Don't buy Tygrys argument, yeah that scenario might technically improve Norths hand a tiny bit, but the free kick we as an opposition get by effectively being handed an extra top rated junior far outweighs that.