Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

bullus_hit said:
Didn't have much of a preseason so one can't judge too harshly. The other weakness I see is his kicking, not that this will be a deal breaker, just see him as a handball first type player. A bit similar to Oliver & Cripps.

Oliver and Cripps?
I'm in !

Sintiger said:
Someone will bid most probably but we are probably lucky that between picks 10-25 there are mainly interstate clubs.

I have posted here before that I know a part time recruiter for a melbourne club and I know that this particular club rates Naish around the 12-20 mark, they rate him very highly. The club in question, which I will not disclose, would definitely bid if they had a pick in that range ...but they don't

I don't know anything about the juniors but I do know that this particular club reckons if we get him for anything in the 20s we are stealing him ! ( and they would prefer that the premiers don't get further advantage)

My only comment about this would be that it's a dangerous game. I get it if a club bids on a player if they really really want him. If however they bid purely to throw a spanner in the works of another club and that club suspects it, well I'm just saying every club will eventually have a father-son they'll want to draft. You wouldn't forget something like that and one day it'll come back to haunt you when the shoe is on the other foot. Likewise bidding honourably will encourage the same from your competitors in the future. Hopefully the Victorian clubs that are considering on bidding on him remember that.

Tygrys said:
My only comment about this would be that it's a dangerous game. I get it if a club bids on a player if they really really want him. If however they bid purely to throw a spanner in the works of another club and that club suspects it, well I'm just saying every club will eventually have a father-son they'll want to draft. You wouldn't forget something like that and one day it'll come back to haunt you when the shoe is on the other foot. Likewise bidding honourably will encourage the same from your competitors in the future. Hopefully the Victorian clubs that are considering on bidding on him remember that.
Sure.

I think in the end I am saying that a Victorian club may well take the risk to bid if they rate him that highly, and that many do from what I am being told. I also think it is unlikely clubs won't bid when it gets into the 20s because they have nothing to lose and if they don't they are giving Richmond an unnecessary leg up.

Interstate clubs are less likely because of the go home factor.

The things that would make a club bid on a player are

* They rate the kid at that pick or better
* They have a realistic chance that they may get that kid with their bid and it is a value bid
* They are a chance to force the other club to take the kid if he has drifted / slid to far

Most clubs know Richmond will match a bid from pick #12 onwards and wouldnt or shouldnt bid until after #25 as it would be seen to only be bidding to force richmond to use their selection 'Early'

This has implications later on with retaliation to occur when they have a fs selection or an academy selection in the future

Picks between 1-20 i can only see the doggies a chance to bid with #16 as they may rate him at that level but they would know Richmond would match and they wouldnt get him as well as there wouldnt be a chance that we could take a player with our picks that they have on their radar as their next selection is #82

Picks 21-24 are Geelong x 2 west coast and North
Geelong did a trade with us for exchanging 3rd's so i would think that we would have a unspoken gentlemans agreement not to bid with Brownless son in their sights next year

North have #23 and would be likely except they also have a raft of father sons next year and would know that we would 100% match and would just mean they expose themselfs to a bid from us next year for their kids as well as not really stopping us from taking a player that they have at a later pick as its too far away

West Coast - Pick #21 is the pick that could be the 'danger' pick to bid on Naish
They also have #26 , #32 , #37 and may believe that we might have our eyes on a player they have in their sights with a later pick and force us to use #25 on Naish But im thinking they are looking at Mids and we are wanting KPP's

The issue would be if at #21 they have a mid they want but Oscar allen is still on the board then they could bid #21 on Naish so we dont take Allen with #25 and they can with #26 - But unlikely he is around at #21 as im sure we would 100% take him at #20 if not #17

turk-d-tiger said:
The things that would make a club bid on a player are

* They rate the kid at that pick or better
* They have a realistic chance that they may get that kid with their bid and it is a value bid
* They are a chance to force the other club to take the kid if he has drifted / slid to far

Most clubs know Richmond will match a bid from pick #12 onwards and wouldnt or shouldnt bid until after #25 as it would be seen to only be bidding to force richmond to use their selection 'Early'

This has implications later on with retaliation to occur when they have a fs selection or an academy selection in the future

Picks between 1-20 i can only see the doggies a chance to bid with #16 as they may rate him at that level but they would know Richmond would match and they wouldnt get him as well as there wouldnt be a chance that we could take a player with our picks that they have on their radar as their next selection is #82

Picks 21-24 are Geelong x 2 west coast and North
Geelong did a trade with us for exchanging 3rd's so i would think that we would have a unspoken gentlemans agreement not to bid with Brownless son in their sights next year

North have #23 and would be likely except they also have a raft of father sons next year and would know that we would 100% match and would just mean they expose themselfs to a bid from us next year for their kids as well as not really stopping us from taking a player that they have at a later pick as its too far away

West Coast - Pick #21 is the pick that could be the 'danger' pick to bid on Naish
They also have #26 , #32 , #37 and may believe that we might have our eyes on a player they have in their sights with a later pick and force us to use #25 on Naish But im thinking they are looking at Mids and we are wanting KPP's

The issue would be if at #21 they have a mid they want but Oscar allen is still on the board then they could bid #21 on Naish so we dont take Allen with #25 and they can with #26 - But unlikely he is around at #21 as im sure we would 100% take him at #20 if not #17

Pretty good summary, a lot will also depend on where O'Brien & Ling are taken, Naish is next in line for the outside runner role. It would be a great result if we could somehow walk away with 3 top 25 players plus Naish. The more I look at Sam Taylor the more he impresses, I think he's a likely candidate at 25.

Tygrys said:

I don’t think we have to worry about a top 10 bid.

A non-vic club WON’t risk an early pick on Naish who will not play to his peak and leave after two years.

But The bulldogs (16) Geelong 22, 24 and north (23) are the worries IMO.

I’m happy to pay 25 for Naish because it keeps our two picks in the 50s.
But it’s prob better to go

Naish 17, 20, 25, 74
Than
Naish 17, 20, 53, 55

Actually I’m not sure.

bullus_hit said:
Pretty good summary, a lot will also depend on where O'Brien & Ling are taken, Naish is next in line for the outside runner role. It would be a great result if we could somehow walk away with 3 top 25 players plus Naish. The more I look at Sam Taylor the more he impresses, I think he's a likely candidate at 25.

Im on the Noah Balta train for #17 now bullus - He just has that freaky athleticism that i have missed since Richo retired, Some are saying he is more a defender but for me its 100% Foward with 10% Ruck relief.

#17 - Noah Balta
#20 - Oscar Allen / Jarrod Brander
#25 - Sam Taylor ( I told you he would grow on you :spin)
#29 - Patrick Naish
#74 - Joel Amartey

I'm Happy to go 4 Bigs this year as we could possibly be delisting / Retiring Hampson & Griffiths after 2018 and the cupboards are bare

dream result.
but which 16 gets picked without Balta, Allen, Brander?
maybe speedsters like Obrien will go high, and let those talls slide

I'd be ecstatic with that haul. Because although an inside mid like Worpel would be a definite benefit, there are inside mids each year at 18.
With that haul and with Garthwaite, Moore, Chol we have a spine for 2022 and post Rance.

Brander and Balta are the cream, then for pure excitement my wish is for nathan Kreuger.
He just oozes that xxx factor. Tall (196), fast extremely athletic, takes a big mark, evasive, not afraid to crash through
already a good size at 89kg but moves like a mid. Here is the prototype CHF that covers the wings for a lead up mark.
Did I mention he also has a booming left foot, a football brain and apparently is an indigenous lad to complement our growing list of brothers.
A stretch at 25, probably but imho better suits our needs than Naish at 25.

tigerdell said:
dream result.
but which 16 gets picked without Balta, Allen, Brander?
maybe speedsters like Obrien will go high, and let those talls slide

I'd be ecstatic with that haul. Because although an inside mid like Worpel would be a definite benefit, there are inside mids each year at 18.
With that haul and with Garthwaite, Moore, Chol we have a spine for 2022 and post Rance.
LDU
Dow
Cerra
Rayner
Stephenson
Brayshaw
Higgins
Constable
Coffield
Fogarty
Bonar
Clarke
Naughton
Murphy
Ling
O'Brian
Hayes
Brander
Hayes
Richards
Garner
Bailey
Ballard

Just have to hope the Cards fall our way, Most will be looking for Mids with 2-3 looking for KPP

turk-d-tiger said:
Im on the Noah Balta train for #17 now bullus - He just has that freaky athleticism that i have missed since Richo retired, Some are saying he is more a defender but for me its 100% Foward with 10% Ruck relief.

#17 - Noah Balta
#20 - Oscar Allen / Jarrod Brander
#29 - Patrick Naish
#74 - Joel Amartey

I'm Happy to go 4 Bigs this year as we could possibly be delisting / Retiring Hampson & Griffiths after 2018 and the cupboards are bare

You have absolutely nailed it.

turk-d-tiger said:

Think you've mistaken me for someone else, have been talking up Taylor for over a month. My picks would be -

17. Balta
20. Worpel
25. Taylor / Garner
26+. Naish
74. Dixon / Hayden

#Allen firming as West Coast pick
* Brander to go to the Dogs at 16

bullus_hit said:
Think you've mistaken me for someone else, have been talking up Taylor for over a month. My picks would be -

17. Balta
20. Worpel
25. Taylor / Garner
26+. Naish
74. Dixon / Hayden

Now we are close Bully, who do you think we will get ?

gehring said:
Brander and Balta are the cream, then for pure excitement my wish is for nathan Kreuger.
He just oozes that xxx factor. Tall (196), fast extremely athletic, takes a big mark, evasive, not afraid to crash through
already a good size at 89kg but moves like a mid. Here is the prototype CHF that covers the wings for a lead up mark.
Did I mention he also has a booming left foot, a football brain and apparently is an indigenous lad to complement our growing list of brothers.
A stretch at 25, probably but imho better suits our needs than Naish at 25.

Kreuger looks a likely type

bullus_hit said:

17. Balta
20. Worpel
25. Taylor / Garner
26+. Naish
74. Dixon / Hayden

Have been hearing Allen to eagles for over a month but just cant see them letting a pure mid like Clarke pass if still on the board

CC TIGER said:
Now we are close Bully, who do you think we will get ?

We are very interested in Balta and I think he gets to us at pick 17. The rest is a bit of a raffle but I know Clarke places a huge premium on leadership, that's why players like Garner & Worpel will come into the picture. The hard part will be knowing who to take first, Taylor is bolting up the charts so we may not even get the opportunity but if he's there we must give serious consideration to covering Astbury if he goes down. Balta is not the answer because he is a natural forward and that's where I want him to start.

Hayes is still on our radar but I simply don't like this pick, one thing we have done really well over the years is to pick off second string rucks in the third round. I'm firmly of the belief that we stick to this strategy. The argument against picking Worpel is that mids are available every year but for me you just have to take best available. Now that the game is becoming more and more about contested football the more depth you create the better placed you are to deal with injuries, and let's face it, we did have a charmed run on the injury front. One might say we have Miles to come in but Worpel is a better two way runner and is a lot quicker. Garner is an upgrade on Broad, no disrespect because he helped us to a premiership but there's a number of guys who have probably played out of their skins and may not be able to replicate their 2017 form.

If Naish gets an early bid then I'd like to get Dixon & perhaps Hayden with our third rounders. If Clavarino slips then he must also come into play, presuming of course that we don't land Taylor.

turk-d-tiger said:
Have been hearing Allen to eagles for over a month but just cant see them letting a pure mid like Clarke pass if still on the board

Clark isn't a pure mid just yet, it's only been a few standout performances in the TAC that's seen his stocks rise. For the most part he's played in defence and that's where he probably starts. I think the strategy for the Eagles will be to pick off mids with picks 21, 26 , 32 & 37. Homegrown talent like Ainsworth & Patmore will be there for the taking.

tigerdell said:

Bit generous there Tigerdell.

Those 3 are not going to form the next RFC spine i think its safe to say.

bullus_hit said:
We are very interested in Balta and I think he gets to us at pick 17. The rest is a bit of a raffle but I know Clarke places a huge premium on leadership, that's why players like Garner & Worpel will come into the picture. The hard part will be knowing who to take first, Taylor is bolting up the charts so we may not even get the opportunity but if he's there we must give serious consideration to covering Astbury if he goes down. Balta is not the answer because he is a natural forward and that's where I want him to start.

Hayes is still on our radar but I simply don't like this pick, one thing we have done really well over the years is to pick off second string rucks in the third round. I'm firmly of the belief that we stick to this strategy. The argument against picking Worpel is that mids are available every year but for me you just have to take best available. Now that the game is becoming more and more about contested football the more depth you create the better placed you are to deal with injuries, and let's face it, we did have a charmed run on the injury front. One might say we have Miles to come in but Worpel is a better two way runner and is a lot quicker. Garner is an upgrade on Broad, no disrespect because he helped us to a premiership but there's a number of guys who have probably played out of their skins and may not be able to replicate their 2017 form.

If Naish gets an early bid then I'd like to get Dixon & perhaps Hayden with our third rounders. If Clavarino slips then he must also come into play, presuming of course that we don't land Taylor.

Clark isn't a pure mid just yet, it's only been a few standout performances in the TAC that's seen his stocks rise. For the most part he's played in defence and that's where he probably starts. I think the strategy for the Eagles will be to pick off mids with picks 21, 26 , 32 & 37. Homegrown talent like Ainsworth & Patmore will be there for the taking.
Greatly appreciated Bully. Best available no doubt is the way to go, hopefully that turns out a couple of future star KPP.
Just on Hayes, isn’t there belief he will be a key forward who rucks, not the other way around which he is at present I believe ?

CC TIGER said:
Greatly appreciated Bully. Best available no doubt is the way to go, hopefully that turns out a couple of future star KPP.
Just on Hayes, isn’t there belief he will be a key forward who rucks, not the other way around which he is at present I believe ?

There's some division where this is concerned, Hayes has some handy bags in the TAC and played predominantly as a forward in the All-Stars game. He has looked dangerous on occasion but I'm not fully sold that he makes that position his bread and butter. His ruck craft is much more evolved but his tank is hugely worrying, this to me makes him a risk that we don't have to take. For the forward role Balta is the player I want to see given a lengthy apprenticeship, I'd also like to see him take up the Shaun Grigg role as second ruck.

bullus_hit said:
There's some division where this is concerned, Hayes has some handy bags in the TAC and played predominantly as a forward in the All-Stars game. He has looked dangerous on occasion but I'm not fully sold that he makes that position his bread and butter. His ruck craft is much more evolved but his tank is hugely worrying, this to me makes him a risk that we don't have to take. For the forward role Balta is the player I want to see given a lengthy apprenticeship, I'd also like to see him take up the Shaun Grigg role as second ruck.
Thanks again. I’ve always had the same opinion with recruiting Rucks, I’d think there’s probably neally as many that have made it off the rookie list as top 10s that have made the grade. Unless it’s a superstar , nothing wrong with grabbing ones who are second/third stringers at there club who you pay a pick after 30 for, I.e Maric , Nankervis.

Would you say Balta is a bit of a Griffiths type junior ? an also the type of role a fit Griffiths was supposed to play for us this year ?