Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

CC TIGER said:
Thanks again. I’ve always had the same opinion with recruiting Rucks, I’d think there’s probably neally as many that have made it off the rookie list as top 10s that have made the grade. Unless it’s a superstar , nothing wrong with grabbing ones who are second/third stringers at there club who you pay a pick after 30 for, I.e Maric , Nankervis.

Would you say Balta is a bit of a Griffiths type junior ? an also the type of role a fit Griffiths was supposed to play for us this year ?

Same role yes, I'd say his style is closer to Jarrod Waite, but there's even some chance he develops as a tall midfielder once he builds his tank. His beep was 13.4 so there's still plenty of work to be done but he clocked up 30 possessions in the TAC playing as an onballer. The quality that sets him apart from most of the other talls is his acceleration, his first few steps allows him to get separation. I know throughout the interview process that clubs have identified this as a key reason to play him in a defensive role but I'm more inclined to aim higher. Fact is Balta has never been a defender and was plonked there this year as some sort of experiment, he's not a natural and whilst he's a willing learner he needs to go back to his native position. It may even be that he spends a couple of years in defence and then moves up the ground, don't mind this as part of the learning curve.

bullus_hit said:
Same role yes, I'd say his style is closer to Jarrod Waite, but there's even some chance he develops as a tall midfielder once he builds his tank. His beep was 13.4 so there's still plenty of work to be done but he clocked up 30 possessions in the TAC playing as an onballer. The quality that sets him apart from most of the other talls is his acceleration, his first few steps allows him to get separation. I know throughout the interview process that clubs have identified this as a key reason to play him in a defensive role but I'm more inclined to aim higher. Fact is Balta has never been a defender and was plonked there this year as some sort of experiment, he's not a natural and whilst he's a willing learner he needs to go back to his native position. It may even be that he spends a couple of years in defence and then moves up the ground, don't mind this as part of the learning curve.
From what you say let’s hope he gets through to 17

bullus_hit said:

I miss having a fast 195cm foward that runs around in the midfield and wing somethimes , Specially one that has a good leap and agility

I was speaking with a very good friend and he asked me what player i would like in this Tigers team just after the Grand Final team won the premiership.

My Answer was - How good would it have been to have Richo playing in this game

craig said:
Bit generous there Tigerdell.

Those 3 are not going to form the next RFC spine i think its safe to say.

I had said with Turk's haul of Balta, Brander or Allen, Sam Taylor, Joel Amartey. + Gathwaite, Moore, Chol
Fair to say that 50-70% talls dont make it. But hoping that we end up with a Taylor-Garthwaite defence and Balta-Allen-Moore front end is not out of the question

turk-d-tiger said:
Just have to hope the Cards fall our way, Most will be looking for Mids with 2-3 looking for KPP

thanks Turk
agree with that line of thinking (though Hayes is in twice, and it sounds like he is the one to slide.)
anyway here is bloody hoping!

bullus_hit said:
We are very interested in Balta and I think he gets to us at pick 17. The rest is a bit of a raffle but I know Clarke places a huge premium on leadership, that's why players like Garner & Worpel will come into the picture. The hard part will be knowing who to take first, Taylor is bolting up the charts so we may not even get the opportunity but if he's there we must give serious consideration to covering Astbury if he goes down. Balta is not the answer because he is a natural forward and that's where I want him to start.

Hayes is still on our radar but I simply don't like this pick, one thing we have done really well over the years is to pick off second string rucks in the third round. I'm firmly of the belief that we stick to this strategy. The argument against picking Worpel is that mids are available every year but for me you just have to take best available. Now that the game is becoming more and more about contested football the more depth you create the better placed you are to deal with injuries, and let's face it, we did have a charmed run on the injury front. One might say we have Miles to come in but Worpel is a better two way runner and is a lot quicker. Garner is an upgrade on Broad, no disrespect because he helped us to a premiership but there's a number of guys who have probably played out of their skins and may not be able to replicate their 2017 form.

If Naish gets an early bid then I'd like to get Dixon & perhaps Hayden with our third rounders. If Clavarino slips then he must also come into play, presuming of course that we don't land Taylor.

Clark isn't a pure mid just yet, it's only been a few standout performances in the TAC that's seen his stocks rise. For the most part he's played in defence and that's where he probably starts. I think the strategy for the Eagles will be to pick off mids with picks 21, 26 , 32 & 37. Homegrown talent like Ainsworth & Patmore will be there for the taking.
Have you got a copy of the new Y&B book? there is a chapter on our recruiting staff & there are some cryptic clues as to who we may be considering, it obviously doesn't mention names but a "big blok that can't run, is a liability defensively" could be Hayes they are talking about & "this guy is coming back from injury, is an absolute beast with massive upside (puts his name up to 1st rd list) could be Bonar?
Clarke also mentions he's looked at every key fwd in the AFL & makes a point of the fact they are all 1st rd/low picks & that you "can't go bargain shopping for key fwds, u have to pay a high price". If you have the book the chapter is called "shopping for products". seems he knows what he's doing.

Jonesracing82 said:
Have you got a copy of the new Y&B book? there is a chapter on our recruiting staff & there are some cryptic clues as to who we may be considering, it obviously doesn't mention names but a "big blok that can't run, is a liability defensively" could be Hayes they are talking about & "this guy is coming back from injury, is an absolute beast with massive upside (puts his name up to 1st rd list) could be Bonar?
Clarke also mentions he's looked at every key fwd in the AFL & makes a point of the fact they are all 1st rd/low picks & that you "can't go bargain shopping for key fwds, u have to pay a high price". If you have the book the chapter is called "shopping for products". seems he knows what he's doing.

Could be talking about McCartin. Massive upside with him.

Love reading the draft threads every year, thx for everyone's input.

I am still very confused about what happened with Josh Schache.

Even though it is comparing apples and oranges, and with you having the benefit of you knowing how Schache has performed on an AFL list for the last two seasons ......
If Schache was in this draft, what pick would you rate him as?

Jonesracing82 said:

Don't have that book but by those descriptions you'd have to say Hayes & Bonar, although I've heard Clarke talk glowingly of Hayes on Twomey's podcast. Just judging by the whispers I think it's Balta at 17, Taylor at 20 & 25 Naish (Kangas prepared to bid).

TigerMad said:
Love reading the draft threads every year, thx for everyone's input.

I am still very confused about what happened with Josh Schache.

Even though it is comparing apples and oranges, and with you having the benefit of you knowing how Schache has performed on an AFL list for the last two seasons ......
If Schache was in this draft, what pick would you rate him as?

Schache 2016 is worth a top 5 pick, Schache 2017 is worth a third rounder. Dogs must be confident they can turn him around. I can't knock the club on this one, I'd say our intelligence would be second to none.

We can hope for Balta at 17 but I reckon it’s a 50/50 at best.

Hearing that Carlton are super keen on Balta at 10. And Adelaide at 12 have to be thinking about him as the Lever replacement.

SCOOP said:

Hearing that Carlton are super keen on Balta at 10. And Adelaide at 12 have to be thinking about him as the Lever replacement.

Not doubting you Scoop, but the Blues have already stockpiled on bigs and their onballers are severely lacking depth with Gibbs gone.

And the Crows have Alex Keath/Andy Otten lined up for Levers replacement.

SCOOP said:

Blues will take Darcy Fogarty at 10, even considering him at 3. Adelaide the worry, hope they prefer Brander.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
Not doubting you Scoop, but the Blues have already stockpiled on bigs and their onballers are severely lacking depth with Gibbs gone.

And the Crows have Alex Keath/Andy Otten lined up for Levers replacement.

The Blues have talls for sure but adding a wildcard like Balta who could form a lethal partnership with Curnow would be a smart play. Chuck in McKay Weitering with Marchbank and you have a spine for the next generation. That’s huge, mobile talls that can go to either end. If they go mid at 3, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them call out Balta’s name. Could play that second ruck role as well. And they have two picks next year as well to go for mids. They have picks and options. For a building side that are placed well.

Otten is a battler, Keath is raw but I’d still take Balta.

bullus_hit said:
Blues will take Darcy Fogarty at 10, even considering him at 3. Adelaide the worry, hope they prefer Brander.

Fogarty and Balta have similarities. I can see it. At 3, not a chance I would. If the Blues want a mobile tall at 10, I’d take Cerra at 3 ahead of Rayner. I love Rayner but the Blues need one pure mid from this draft.

SCOOP said:
Fogarty and Balta have similarities. I can see it. At 3, not a chance I would. If the Blues want a mobile tall at 10, I’d take Cerra at 3 ahead of Rayner. I love Rayner but the Blues need one pure mid from this draft.

They love Cerra, don't be surprised.

bullus_hit said:
Don't have that book but by those descriptions you'd have to say Hayes & Bonar, although I've heard Clarke talk glowingly of Hayes on Twomey's podcast. Just judging by the whispers I think it's Balta at 17, Taylor at 20 & 25 Naish (Kangas prepared to bid).

Schache 2016 is worth a top 5 pick, Schache 2017 is worth a third rounder. Dogs must be confident they can turn him around. I can't knock the club on this one, I'd say our intelligence would be second to none.

Any chance Constable is still around at 17? Twomeys recent podcast suggests he could slide into the mid teens with others moving up the list?

bullus_hit said:

Kanga's bidding at #23 is about the range for Naish but they would know 100% that Richmond will match and they have no chance of getting him - So why bother ? If its just to make Richmond pay then they really need to look foward to next year as they have traded their 3rd rounder this year in preparation for the father sons they have coming and wouldnt be wanting to have teams retaliating next year

Its a no win for the Kangaroo's to bid as they dont have a pick after our #25 to try to get another player we may take with our selection
Norths next pick is #64 so it actually suits them for Richmond to use #53 & #55 instead of #25 for Naish

The biggest benefit for a bid before #25 would be to west coast imo

mrposhman said:
Any chance Constable is still around at 17? Twomeys recent podcast suggests he could slide into the mid teens with others moving up the list?

I'm really not that keen on Constable, his athletic testing was the final nail in the coffin. He's a big accumulator but has a weak outside game, his endurance & pace are also well off the mark.

turk-d-tiger said:
Kanga's bidding at #23 is about the range for Naish but they would know 100% that Richmond will match and they have no chance of getting him - So why bother ? If its just to make Richmond pay then they really need to look foward to next year as they have traded their 3rd rounder this year in preparation for the father sons they have coming and wouldnt be wanting to have teams retaliating next year

Its a no win for the Kangaroo's to bid as they dont have a pick after our #25 to try to get another player we may take with our selection
Norths next pick is #64 so it actually suits them for Richmond to use #53 & #55 instead of #25 for Naish

The biggest benefit for a bid before #25 would be to west coast imo

I hope you're right but we're talking about a culture that has imploded. They treat their loyal servants like trash, they have a coach who suffers from verbal diarrhea and throws tantrums, they probably hate Richmond right now because we have achieved what they have failed to do after 3 attempts.

bullus_hit said:
I'm really not that keen on Constable, his athletic testing was the final nail in the coffin. He's a big accumulator but has a weak outside game, his endurance & pace are also well off the mark.

I hope you're right but we're talking about a culture that has imploded. They treat their loyal servants like trash, they have a coach who suffers from verbal diarrhea and throws tantrums, they probably hate Richmond right now because we have achieved what they have failed to do after 3 attempts.

They may hate Richmond but have no real reason to Hate us , They are not even in the same ball park as Richmond
We were level pegging a few years ago but whilst Richmond went the Draft road North went the quick fix F/A Route with getting in players for Today and neglecting their loyal worriers .

They need to chose their battles and will know that they have no chance in winning a battle with Richmond, If they want to go the tit for tat game then with Richmond loading up with kids and getting more this year we would be extremely happy to start targetting their father sons next year both in the draft and prior.

I would have no hesitation with bidding against their kids to make them pay if thats what they want to do

Hayes recorded an 8.20 for the 2km time trial at the draft camp. Unless he was injured or sick he has got a massive task ahead of him getting up to AFL level fitness. That would be a bad result even for a country footballer.