Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

turk-d-tiger said:
Agree Bullus , Its definitely Buyer beware with Hayes

Tank & Running is not easily fixed specially for a Ruckman that is a deal breaker even though he is a good footballer and a good mark/kick
If he cant build stamina to compete 4 quaters then he is a liability

Could you just plonk him in the goal square?

the worry with hayes is that many many ruckmen whom get slaughtered by their lower endurance appear to end up not been competitive enough,nankervis for a young ruckman has a huge tank,but guys like angus graham, vickery,never improved their tanks enough to become afl standard rucks, it also led them to not applying any pressure, not chasing, not doing the one percenters, if hayes has a competitive streak and is good in these common poor ruck areas, i would still consider him for pick 25 he averages 14-15 touches a game, that is pretty good for a ruckmen, i would look at his second half to last quater efforts to gauge if he falls out of games rapidly, a trait that is deadly at afl level.

bullus_hit said:
Good news for us, Balta & Allen great chances to slide.

Definitely Swans,Doggies,Crows i would say are the most likely

Im just hoping that there isnt a bid on Naish until after 25

Would love to get 3 top rated kids + Naish

With our success only playing 1 ruckman I think the speed and tackling stuff is now almost more important than the rucking skills - you can no longer carry a second ruckman in the starting 22.

If the view is there is a question mark on their tank then I would steer clear personally

Edited so it now makes sense ;D

Need to double down on pace endurance and pressure. Look at cellis miles and lloyd for example, for all their ability they couldn't get games ahead of george butler rioli lambert mcintosh etc for the pure fact they didn't have the athletic ability. Other teams will come at us in this area and we need to keep recruiting these types.

Harry said:
Need to double down on pace endurance and pressure. Look at cellis miles and lloyd for example, for all their ability they couldn't get games ahead of george butler rioli lambert mcintosh etc for the pure fact they didn't have the athletic ability. Other teams will come at us in this area and we need to keep recruiting these types.

Amen.

easy said:
Im just not sure we want a Meek ruckman?

Unless, I suppose, you look at the grand final as judgment day?

Ha Ha

I see what you did there :clap

bullus_hit said:
Yes and no, I'd be looking at rucks with a 13 beep, does't need to be through the roof outstanding. I remember big Andrew Browne almost spewing after a match, there is definitely a point at which they won't be able to compete. Certainly not writing Hayes off but would it be worth blowing pick 25 on him? Not for me, better to grab a project ruck like Lloyd Meek.

What comparison is Hayes to English who was taken last year at 19. Wasn't he initially thought of as being top 10 and then slid and slid. Was that due to his tank? If so and a top 10 drops to late teens then certainly a chance Hayes drops at least to the mid 20's you'd think.

mrposhman said:
What comparison is Hayes to English who was taken last year at 19. Wasn't he initially thought of as being top 10 and then slid and slid. Was that due to his tank? If so and a top 10 drops to late teens then certainly a chance Hayes drops at least to the mid 20's you'd think.

English had a reasonable tank, was actually a talented midfielder before the growth spurt. I think the big question mark was the time needed for him to add bulk to his frame without compromising his athleticism. For Hayes it will be an uphill battle from here, he's not a crash & bash ruckman so will have to rely on superior athleticism, something which he doesn't already have. He's not a bad forward but certainly not a position he will nail down full-time. I have him pegged somewhere in the 25-50 range.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Let's stick to the tried and true of nabbing a value ruckman who's done his apprenticeship, when and if required. Nankervis. Maric. (Hampson.)

Dont forget Trent Knobel, Strawbs O'Dwyer or Ben Marsh

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Let's stick to the tried and true of nabbing a value ruckman who's done his apprenticeship, when and if required. Nankervis. Maric. (Hampson.)

The think about drafting them is that we can AND WILL trade them if they aren’t up to scratch.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

:fing32

With Nank, Ivan II and Hampers we have sufficient coverage. Unlikely to play 2 at once.
Tobes is still young so we should be set for 5+years
So it would be a no from me on hayes or a meek project. (But what do i know)

I like worpel and would partner with Graham for our future.
but inside mids are available each year at pick 18.
If not this year then next.
Every second year, on average, should be the best mid

So if available i'd take the punt on Bonar. Possible star.
Only 1 knee injury but 2 ops on it, so not necessarily an injury risk

Hopeful our recruiters can commit daylight robbery again and snag Bonar, TD. He's rocketing up draft boards unfortunately.

DirtyDogTiger said:
The think about drafting them is that we can AND WILL trade them if they aren’t up to scratch.

If they are not up to scratch then it would be difficult to find a trade for them.

Hoping Bonar is still on the board @ 17 and no Naish bid before hand.
Tall X factor is what we need.