Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

craig said:
Id be into this guy already if i was the RFC. Come to the reigning premiers play with Rance and Dusty and Jack and Chimpa in front of huge crowds.

He'll be a weapon i remember him cutting us to pieces at times this year racked it up and his footskills were sublime.

Id be happy to see this guy at Punt Road.

Remember seeing him at Etihad earlier this year and thinking why can't we cut off those kick ins. They were perfect darts. His kicking is sublime and I agree, he'll be an excellent player. Would be good to make him Doherty mark 2, take that Brisbane.

Some noise regarding Sam Taylor being made lately

Falls perfectly between our selections - Could be a smokey

Have gone through a fair bit of footage of the All-Stars game and here are some observations.

* Worpel is a gun and we must give serious consideration to picking him at 25.
* Balta is an athletic beast, tall midfielder a distinct possibility.
* Stephenson some shot at being the best player in the draft.
* Davies-Uniake is the best inside mid in the pool.
* Brander looked lost, will be a slider in my opinion...........should we take him? Hmmmmmmmmmm
* Petruccelle has a very high ceiling, one recruiter has the potential to look like a genius.

thanks Bully, interesting stuff.
Would you still rate the talls in order something like Balta - Brander - Allen - Hayes?
Sounds like Hayes is sliding after the low endurance tests.

Is it possible that clubs will select Petruccelle top 25? ultra-speed in the forward half will be gold in this year's draft.

Worpel would be a great get for the future midfield -> graham + worpel, then the riolis, bolton, naish outside

tigerdell said:
thanks Bully, interesting stuff.
Would you still rate the talls in order something like Balta - Brander - Allen - Hayes?
Sounds like Hayes is sliding after the low endurance tests.

Is it possible that clubs will select Petruccelle top 25? ultra-speed in the forward half will be gold in this year's draft.

Worpel would be a great get for the future midfield -> graham + worpel, then the riolis, bolton, naish outside

I'd have it Balta, Allen, Brander & Hayes at this point. Hayes doesn't have a great tank which forces him down the order a bit. There's some conjecture that the Eagles nab Allen at 13, my picks would therefore be -

17. Balta
20. Naish/Worpel
25. Naish/Worpel

For the other two picks there's a pool of players I like and believe could still be around -

52/54. Hugh Dixon/Kyron Hayden/Ben Paton/Hayden McLean/Jake Patmore

In the unlikley event Naish gets a later bid then Hayes would come into contention. Brander likely gone by that stage.

tigerdell said:

I think there's some chance that happens. Like you said, speedy half forwards who can apply pressure will be highly valued. Petruccelle also has a nice leap courtesy of his basketball background, this will also be looked upon favourably.

I really Like Balta & Allen

Wouldnt mind Hayes but with #25

Sam Taylor interest me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzwWpYY7OU#action=share

Worpel looks good but who does he replace ? Good depth for now but Think his upside is limited

Tom McCartin - If Naish goes early and is available at #53

turk-d-tiger said:
I really Like Balta & Allen

Sam Taylor interest me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzwWpYY7OU#action=share

Worpel looks good but who does he replace ? Good depth for now but Think his upside is limited

Tom McCartin - If Naish goes early and is available at #53

Worpel just needs to keep on, keepin on. Dual All-Australian, Vic Country MVP, TAC premiership captain & BOG for Team Enright. Athletically good - 3.03sec/20m, 14 beep, good agility. The only knock is his kicking but this complaint tends to overlook his strength by hand. Just scan some of the best clearance players in the comp and you find many can't kick. Danger is pretty average, ditto Selwood, Josh Kennedy, Priddis, Parker, Viney etc. Worpel will be a fan favourite, pure leader and a guy who will never shirk the tough stuff.

As for Sam Taylor, much better prospect than Naughton in my opinion. Should also be on our shortlist at pick 25.

turk-d-tiger said:

There's even a chance Hayes gets to our 3rd round pick, all depends on how clubs view his running prospects. Given he was last in the yo-yo & second last in the 2km you'd have to take a very long-term view.

bullus_hit said:
There's even a chance Hayes gets to our 3rd round pick, all depends on how clubs view his running prospects. Given he was last in the yo-yo & second last in the 2km you'd have to take a very long-term view.
Apart from a very limited handful of athletic freaks over the years isn't it the ruck mans role to be last in just about every running event?
Kid's 203 cm n 93 kg already, he's hardly going to be a running machine just yet. Seems to be fairly agile n competitive for such a big young pelican where many youngsters his size are still trying to figure out how to make all their arms n legs work together at the same time.
Unless he's an absolute sloth, it shouldn't be that difficult to bring him up to reasonable running capacity in a few years time.

TigerMasochist said:
Apart from a very limited handful of athletic freaks over the years isn't it the ruck mans role to be last in just about every running event?
Kid's 203 cm n 93 kg already, he's hardly going to be a running machine just yet. Seems to be fairly agile n competitive for such a big young pelican where many youngsters his size are still trying to figure out how to make all their arms n legs work together at the same time.
Unless he's an absolute sloth, it shouldn't be that difficult to bring him up to reasonable running capacity in a few years time.

Yes and no, I'd be looking at rucks with a 13 beep, does't need to be through the roof outstanding. I remember big Andrew Browne almost spewing after a match, there is definitely a point at which they won't be able to compete. Certainly not writing Hayes off but would it be worth blowing pick 25 on him? Not for me, better to grab a project ruck like Lloyd Meek.

bullus_hit said:
Yes and no, I'd be looking at rucks with a 13 beep, does't need to be through the roof outstanding. I remember big Andrew Browne almost spewing after a match, there is definitely a point at which they won't be able to compete. Certainly not writing Hayes off but would it be worth blowing pick 25 on him? Not for me, better to grab a project ruck like Lloyd Meek.
Guess it all depends on the talent they bring and how much a club needs that talent on draft day. I'm not about to pretend to know much at all about the youngsters coming up for the draft but young Hayes seems to be rated as a late first round pick so I guess he may come under consideration for us. I took a quick peek at an article about Meek n it seems he's an over ager, big lump of a lad n pretty good in the ruck n body work, but lacking in running capacity / pace n also not much of a kick. Seems he's rated as a possible rookie chance, just off the top we've got a Soldo sitting in the pipeline who seems a very similar proposition to Meek, would it be worth the bother?

bullus_hit said:

Agree Bullus , Its definitely Buyer beware with Hayes

Tank & Running is not easily fixed specially for a Ruckman that is a deal breaker even though he is a good footballer and a good mark/kick
If he cant build stamina to compete 4 quaters then he is a liability

TigerMasochist said:
Guess it all depends on the talent they bring and how much a club needs that talent on draft day. I'm not about to pretend to know much at all about the youngsters coming up for the draft but young Hayes seems to be rated as a late first round pick so I guess he may come under consideration for us. I took a quick peek at an article about Meek n it seems he's an over ager, big lump of a lad n pretty good in the ruck n body work, but lacking in running capacity / pace n also not much of a kick. Seems he's rated as a possible rookie chance, just off the top we've got a Soldo sitting in the pipeline who seems a very similar proposition to Meek, would it be worth the bother?

No doubt Meek is speculative but he ticks a few boxes with his overall possession count & wins the vast majority in contested situations. Statistically not that far off Hayes. As to whether he trumps Soldo, I think he's better around the ground.

bullus_hit said:
No doubt Meek is speculative but he ticks a few boxes with his overall possession count & wins the vast majority in contested situations. Statistically not that far off Hayes. As to whether he trumps Soldo, I think he's better around the ground.

Im just not sure we want a Meek ruckman?

Unless, I suppose, you look at the grand final as judgment day?

Nathan Murphy invited to draft night, means he is top 11 worthy.